GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The event today was a big success, and a good learning experience.

Here are my quickly written notes from the day.

Front bar-stiff
Rear bar-soft
Front pressure-35
Rear pressure-30
Starting OAT-59, ending 65

1. 111 intake temperature, front 1.3 psi gain, rear 1 psi gain, bled down to 35/30, sprayed the intercooler

2. Rerun, 124 ending intake temp, 1.2F/0.6R psi gain, bled down to 35F/30R, sprayed intercooler

3. Rerun, 51.6, pressure gain 0.75F/0.45R, sprayed front tires on outside edge, bled down to 35F/30R, sprayed intercooler

4. 51.3, 99 intake, 112 oil, longest wait between runs tires finished 0.5F/0.1R low, sprayed intercooler, Experiencing power cut after hard braking zone into increasing radius right

5. 51.8 113 intake, 226 oil, 0.7FL 0.4FR/ 0.4 RR gain, bled down to 35F/30R, sprayed intercooler

6. 51.8, Power cutting again in the same spot, pressure gains 0.7FL/0.6FR & 0.4R, bled down to 35F/30R, sprayed intercooler

7. 53.x, 118 oil, 137 intake, bad limp mode/ECS kicking in, no throttle, pressure gains 0.5FL/0.7FR & 0.4R

Corner worker observed black smoke in sweeper where the engine power cut. Catch can is full of oil.

Other than the power cutting, which I can fix, the car was perfect.

Higher front pressures, the addition of the rear bar and another alignment with more rear toe made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Over 6 oz

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thanks for the info. Anything you don't like about the can?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The can is great, just grab about 10 ft of 3/4 inch heater hose.

I also purchased the mounting hardware and attached it to the passenger side motor mount.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I’m thinking about writing a letter to allow aftermarket clutches. I doubt anyone in a tuned car wants to run a stock clutch.

I think a clutch is more likely to be replaced, before putting a race seat in, for example.

I would like to run the TCU tune, but can’t for probably the same reasons, manual cars can’t upgrade the clutch.

A member of the STAC asked me what I thought and suggested I write a letter.

What do you all think?

FWIW, I wrote to the SEB about this in October. I requested clarification on the rule for clutches. My argument was that an "oem-type" replacement clutch (keep DMFW, single plate clutch upgrade only) wouldn't hurt the spirit of the "street driven" aspect of the rules, but allows the DSG and manual cars to perform at the same level. The $1000 price premium a buyer pays for a DSG car is what it cost to upgrade a clutch disk. With that, both cars can safely run stage 1 or even stage 2 power equally.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've decided I want to track more, and while GS is the best place for the GTI, a mild STH build will make for a much better track experience and I don't really care about being competive at autocross, more building for track and keeping consumables costs low.

So far I've installed...
26mm H&R rear sway
345mm BBK.
APR springs
Eurosport camber kit
245 RE71R's, still on my GS wheels with 10mm spacer to clear the brakes.
GT3/2 brake ducts that can be removed for autocross.

On order...
RSe16 wheels in 17 x 8.5
Accessport EQT 91 Oct low torque stage 1 tune ( will run stg 0 on street and on track, no launching the car on stg1 ). At least that's what I say now, I'm probably lying to myself. Lol.

Car is at alignment shop right now. I think it's going to end up being a little loose with the alignment I requested.

Front
1/16in toe out front
Won't know how much camber I have in front until tomorrow.
Rear
1/8in toe in
-1.8 camber (will likely have to increase if I get more than -2 in front and the 26mm sway might be overkill with the stiffer springs and add front camber.

I'm using an autocross on the 25th to shake the car down and see how it drives at the limit.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Anybody running STU in an R? Just going for fun (mostly with BMWCCA or PCA, not SCCA) but that doesn't mean I don't want to do well. Is a square tire setup the better bet for an R, especially with the benefits of easy tire rotation? Thinking 245/45r17 on Neuspeed RSe05s. I'd love another .5 of wheel width but that quickly moves to much more expensive or much heavier wheels.

Adding some camber front (not sure exactly which path yet), might stiffen up the rear sway as well, but plan on keeping stock suspension otherwise for a bit (DCC). I'd consider stiffer springs but don't want more than .25-.5in drop and the only way I've figured out how to do that is with (very!) expensive adjustable spring perches. I'd rather save up for some Bilstein B16s at some point in the future.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anybody running STU in an R? Just going for fun (mostly with BMWCCA or PCA, not SCCA) but that doesn't mean I don't want to do well. Is a square tire setup the better bet for an R, especially with the benefits of easy tire rotation? Thinking 245/45r17 on Neuspeed RSe05s. I'd love another .5 of wheel width but that quickly moves to much more expensive or much heavier wheels.

Adding some camber front (not sure exactly which path yet), might stiffen up the rear sway as well, but plan on keeping stock suspension otherwise for a bit (DCC). I'd consider stiffer springs but don't want more than .25-.5in drop and the only way I've figured out how to do that is with (very!) expensive adjustable spring perches. I'd rather save up for some Bilstein B16s at some point in the future.

If I had an R, I'd keep stock springs and add some sort of camber plate in the front, large rear sway, a touch of toe out in front, and then play with rear negative camber until the car feels good in slaloms, then start moving rear toe towards 0 a little at a time until the car rotates well in steady state corners.

I won 2 regional and a state championship in an STI prepped like that for STU. It hurt a lot of peoples feelings. lol

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

You can look at the build thread linked to in my signature for ideas. The last bit of the first post in the thread has my current list of modifications. My car is built such that it is consistent with STU rules. I also just run for fun, and to practice car control skills in a low risk environment.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With a 1 inch drop on a GTI PP, I was -1.9 on one side, -2 on the other with the Eurosport camber kit. Zero added NVH, but you'll have to use a different camber solution if you want more than that. I'm up in the air as to whether that's enough.

It also makes -2.4 seem pretty reasonable with some of the other solutions, as they add significantly more neg camber than the Eurosport kit.

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
It’s been a long winter, and I was out of the country for 4 months. Now that I am back, I started working on the 2020 season.

Now we know how that turned out. But, here’s an update.

I went back and forth over what to do about shocks. Almost got a set of KWv3s, but instead settled on Koni FSDs. I’ve been eyeing them for a long time, and with the crappy mid-west roads, I chose relative comfort over all out performance.

At the same time, I up graded the top hats to GC to try and get more camber. Turns out, I had the same amount as before. So I took my Dremel to them and found a tiny bit more clearance.

Then I got the idea to use bump stop tuning to make up for the long stroke and stock springs. So I cut up some plastic and made bump spacers.

They are super cheap and really stiffened up the roll. And I can take them out easily to soften up bumps.

Also ordered a Varex cat back (https://xforceusa.com/varex-mufflers/)

Attachments

• A6FD2840-3BDD-4006-ADD1-140AC5BB979C.jpeg
    A6FD2840-3BDD-4006-ADD1-140AC5BB979C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • 2003EF2B-75F1-4A63-A6C8-FC94F588C642.jpeg
    2003EF2B-75F1-4A63-A6C8-FC94F588C642.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 137
  • 33CBEFED-6B41-4C7F-956E-A56000A19B3B.jpeg
    33CBEFED-6B41-4C7F-956E-A56000A19B3B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 138