GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting more camber with a minimum of impact on NVH?

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Stupid autocross rules again... Can only do one OR the other. Not that I'm going to light the world on fire with a low torque 91 octane tune and OEM suspension when I could be stg2, coilovers, etc , but it would really suck to be pushed into the r-comp tire classes and be 5-10 seconds behind!
What class are you running? I thought a flash of any type bumps you out of street?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
What class are you running? I thought a flash of any type bumps you out of street?

STU. Boost changes used to bump you up to prepared but don't anymore.

Granted, I'm 91 low torque Stg1 so I'm not going to set the world on fire (stg2 is allowed).

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
STU. Boost changes used to bump you up to prepared but don't anymore.

Granted, I'm 91 low torque Stg1 so I'm not going to set the world on fire (stg2 is allowed).
Re read the rules, you are correct. You could probably run a camber plate and CSS knuckles. As it states in 14.8.H.2:
"On arm-and-strut (MacPherson/Chapman) suspensions, the lower
arms may be modified/replaced OR other methods of camber adjust-
ment as allowed by Sections 14.8.B, C, or F may be used, but NOT
both."
Arms and the rest of the strut/hub assy may not be modified together, but appears the you can do whatever to each assembly, as long as you don't do anything to the other assembly for camber. I am not a guru of SCCA regs however.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Re read the rules, you are correct. You could probably run a camber plate and CSS knuckles. As it states in 14.8.H.2:
"On arm-and-strut (MacPherson/Chapman) suspensions, the lower
arms may be modified/replaced OR other methods of camber adjust-
ment as allowed by Sections 14.8.B, C, or F may be used, but NOT
both."
Arms and the rest of the strut/hub assy may not be modified together, but appears the you can do whatever to each assembly, as long as you don't do anything to the other assembly for camber. I am not a guru of SCCA regs however.

If it isn't specifically stated that you can replace the hub, you can not replace the hub.

Now at a local event, I doubt anyone would know or care.

I just installed the Eurosport camber kit on my PP GTI. I'll let you know how much negative camber I get, but I'm on APR springs now. No increase noise or harshness so far, but the APR springs don't pair well with RE71R's for daily driving, but I'm stuck using my track wheels because I went BBK over christmas and need to get another set of wheels and street tires that fit. Also, If you have to remove the front struts to do camber plates, then at least add some mild springs. The APR are not as mild as they claim, I'm at 1.1" drop, so I'll end up adding some negative camber being lower than R springs.

I will say that the CSS uses the same front springs as the 6spd R and the hub is -0.8. I'm assuming a stock R has to be around -1.2???, because they list the CSS as -2 camber upfront. My 2018 S is -0.9 and my 19 Rabbit is -.8 stock in front. As the R is 5mm lower, it makes sense that it should have more static negative camber.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Golf R specific questions as I plan on buying mounts (SuperPro or Whiteline) and Eibach springs.
With more neg camber up front (and more grip), do Golf R driver's go with a less aggressive rear sway bar? Like a 22mm instead of a 25mm.
Picture of the Whiteline
View attachment 162481

I've done nothing but read about springs for the last week. Don't get the US version of the Eibach springs. If you can get the European version, go for it. I went with APR, they're growing on me after the initial anger over their bogus .5 - .75in drop claims and removing some air from the tires to soften things up a little, but still too low for me. I may trim the bump stop and see if that helps.

Otherwise, MSS springs are the only option and they're EXPENSIVE. 3 sets of spring rates to choose from though. https://www.fastuningstore.com/coll...lf-gti-golf-r-mss-fully-adjustable-spring-kit

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...ring-Kits-for-mk7-R&p=114009135#post114009135

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Any top plate such as 034 or SuperPro will greatly increase NVH as there is nothing besides metal and high density rubber/poly to absorb impact.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Otherwise, MSS springs are the only option and they're EXPENSIVE. 3 sets of spring rates to choose from though. https://www.fastuningstore.com/coll...lf-gti-golf-r-mss-fully-adjustable-spring-kit

Only option for what? If you're looking for springs on adjustable perches, then Ground Control and H&R also have products. Ground Control will let you use any spring you want as long as it's one of their custom springs or in the Eibach catalog. I ran a prototype GC setup for 3½ years until I replaced it.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Any top plate such as 034 or SuperPro will greatly increase NVH as there is nothing besides metal and high density rubber/poly to absorb impact.
The SuperPro surprisingly does not increase NVH. This has been my experience thus far since installing them a few months ago. Maybe with time this will change but so far they are imperceptible.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The SuperPro surprisingly does not increase NVH. This has been my experience thus far since installing them a few months ago. Maybe with time this will change but so far they are imperceptible.

Go over a pothole and tell me it isn’t more harsh than the factory strut mounts.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
To add to Jay's comment, my experience with the Vorshlag plate is they do not rattle or knock. They amplify road noise and road imperfections to some degree. When I ordered them, sales person suggested it would be akin to inching up on wheel size.

There is also an increase in steering feel, a big plus in my opinion.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The Eurosport inserts seem like a good option for a moderate amount more camber without NVH (-.8 degrees, should end up somewhere around -1.6 degrees). As far as I can tell, they shouldn't affect NVH at all since all factory rubber remains. The superpros would be somewhere near -2.2 on DCC suspension, and may add some NVH as they'll be stiffer than stock, but there are benefits to that as well.

I'm shying away from springs as I don't want to drop the car much if anything for DD especially in winter. Would push me towards ground control or H+R adjustable perches (the MSS ones have been plagued with issues in the past so I'm not keen on going with them). That said, if I'm spending $700+ on springs I'd rather just save that money towards some Bilstein Damptronics coilovers (or just say fuck DCC and get some Ohlins, but DCC is nice for DD)

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Not necessarily pointing fingers at you guys, but I find at times the posts on forums and Facebook are not always honest about “NVH” when it comes to aftermarket parts. Just like when I read countless people saying Stage 2 BFI engine mounts don’t add NVH, which is laughable. Maybe some people don't know what NVH is, or they just can't describe what changed/what they feel. Maybe something is wrong with my setup, who knows.

It can vary setup to setup but with my Koni yellow struts, SuperPro camber plates and deadset kit, I definitely have more road feel - every bump, expansion joint and crack in the pavement is definitely felt. Hitting a good sized pothole at speed definitely has you thinking “what the f— just broke”. It's been a lot better on my winter setup due to the softer tire compound. It’s not unbearable by any means, but for me personally it has not been a silky smooth ride like it was from the factory. The only two people I know with similar plates (034) have DCC so not sure I can even compare.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I can only find the review from the guy with the Wagon for the H&R Adjustable perches and it looks like the spring is almost fully collapsed when laden.

Anyway I can increase the ride height with the APR springs on my car? Like TT rubber pads? I've seen them used in the rear, but not sure if there's anything for the front. Maybe TTS springs? They're both MQB platforms, right?

Last edited: