GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comprehensive Golf MK8 Reviews & Discussions

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'd give it a serious look. The G70 is even a step above the Stinger in terms of refinement, but I was honestly shocked at how good even the Stinger GT was. Took a lot mentally to walk in to a Kia dealership (lol), but even at first impression the car was gorgeous and had incredible presence. 365hp/375tq twin-turbo V6 with AWD, a huge auto-lift sportback, and more than enough room for the family. The GT2 trim had a crazy amount of features and tech, and it felt incredibly quick and poised on the road. Just shocked. I can only image what the G70 3.3 would be like. Only reason I walked away from the deal was they sand-bagged my trade in. They have them on for 0% right now, too.

With a simple JB4 these 3.3 V6 models are close to 400hp/500tq. Insane.

Definitely check out the G70.

If I do go the G70 route, what I'm tossing around is the idea of a used 2.0 one and throwing a tune or piggyback on it.
The six's are very impressive but I'd be looking at keeping the price down.
Who knows though? I still plan to hold onto my GTI for a few more years, I don't even have 40,000 miles on it and I keep it in excellent shape.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
crash tests mk8, bad issue is the rear door flying open on side impact. Could eject passenger. I like the mk8 minus the front end and the digital screens need to be modified a bit. Heard they are already working on refreshing.

No doubt they need to fix it but if the rear seat passenger is wearing a seat belt they won't get ejected.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
If I do go the G70 route, what I'm tossing around is the idea of a used 2.0 one and throwing a tune or piggyback on it.
Who knows though? I still plan to hold onto my GTI for a few more years, I don't even have 40,000 miles on it and I keep it in excellent shape.
Genesis cars in general are a step above GTI/VW, more expensive so can’t really compare.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Genesis cars in general are a step above GTI/VW, more expensive so can’t really compare.

The base G70 2.0 AWD is the same price as a Golf R new, but I do generally get what what you're saying.

That sounds like a good idea. Should be able to get decent power out of the 2.0 and still retain all the refinement. I think I would have looked into the 2.0L more if you could get it with the Brembo package. Unfortunate they don't offer it, even on the 2.0L Sport.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I think VW is spot on with their marketing of the 2020+

America is the land of soulless, boring, and otherwise bland crossovers. We may love our GTI/Rs here, but sadly we are the drastic minority and a dying one to boot. People in this country want snoozers that drive for them... so what do you expect.

As for Kia/Hyundai.... will never own one.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie

America is the land of soulless, boring, and otherwise bland crossovers. We may love our GTI/Rs here, but sadly we are the drastic minority and a dying one to boot. People in this country want snoozers that drive for them... so what do you expect.

you are correct.

it is sad, but true.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Its sad that you state you’ll never own a certain car brand.

Your bias and fanboi status is showing.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Its sad that you state you’ll never own a certain car brand.

Your bias and fanboi status is showing.

Pray tell, what fanboi status would that be?

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I do have to say those hp jumps on the mk8 gti seem pretty nice, in the states we prob won’t get the full 290 performance version but maybe only slightly lower.

To me it sounds worth waiting for the mk8 over buying new mk7. The performance numbers higher and more features are going to be standard like hd lights, Sirius radio, bigger infotainment, dcc, more ambient lighting, etc. The current gti you have to buy one with a sticker of 35,000 to get even get some of those features. That’s what turned me off on buying the mk7, even though I could get a decent discount, the msrp was 35,200 for a gti!