GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Blankets

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Got the ECS turbo blanket as a birthday present and decided to wrap my downpipe to finish off the job. Jim's post really lays out all there is when it comes to the benefits of a blanket, but one thing I have noticed (more to do with the downpipe wrap to be fair) is a slightly firmer brake pedal. Was running the APR downpipe that passes near the ABS module, and while I haven't logged before and after temps of the module itself it stands to reason that in wrapping the downpipe less ambient heat is hitting it, keeping the brake fluid at a lower temp.

That or I'm crazy and it's all placebo.

Either way I wanted one to keep under-hood temps low. Planning on hitting the dragstrip hard once next season starts up, and I've had horrible experiences with heatsoak up at Sonoma before.
Has the blanket affected your oil temps?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Has the blanket affected your oil temps?
If there's been any impact on oil temps I haven't noticed it. And this is coming from a guy who exclusively keeps his mfd on the oil gauge lol.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Thx folks! People that have done this have you considered the effects of extra heat on the turbo? Also being a skeptic who knows about placebo effects has anyone done testing on dyno? All just curiousity....

Mud

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Thx folks! People that have done this have you considered the effects of extra heat on the turbo? Also being a skeptic who knows about placebo effects has anyone done testing on dyno? All just curiousity....

Mud

You're unlikely to see any impact on power unless you are severely heat soaked, so I doubt you'd see much on the Dyno unless you did a bunch of back to back pulls.

As for the turbo, you aren't hurting it. The housing temperature is well below the design limit still and you're actually keeping the bearings cooler by limiting the heat transfer out of the housing. What introduces thermal stress is cycles and gradients; you aren't introducing more heat cycles and in fact might be reducing them by holding the heat in during short stops. You're also reducing the temperature gradient across the housing by insulating. Both good things in terms of turbine longevity.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Mud

Go read the first link in my post above..(from Texas Uni)..they tested the effects of a turbo blanket on a big turbo Cummings diesel whilst on a dyno cell...

basically modern design means oil temps are fine...& the blanket keeps the cool side cooler & the hot side spools faster....

does wwhat it says on the tin & what it should do if you know thermal dynamics & materials...

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
In short

Turbo blankets work for their intended purposes.
Very rarely do WE need them in OUR set ups.
Aircraft use them

Boom....haiku