GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Floor Jack question

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
I can get my lowered gti up onto 4 stands (which are all placed at the actual jacking points and none under the subframe) in 6 to 8 minutes - though it does require using 2 jacks.
How you do it with 2 jacks? At some point don't you run into the same issue of both a jack and jackstand trying to occupy the same small reinforced part of the pinch weld?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
How you do it with 2 jacks? At some point don't you run into the same issue of both a jack and jackstand trying to occupy the same small reinforced part of the pinch weld?

You don't use the welds to lift because as you say, there's not enough room for jack + stand.

Jack #1 goes in the back and lifts via the "box" structure that is just inboard and forward of the actual pinch weld. Start lifting until the front also comes off the ground a bit.

Then lock off jack #1 and go slide jack #2 in either right next to the front tire (requires slim width profile jack) or under the front bumper and line it up so it will contact the control arm inner mounting point. Start lifting with that one until both ends are level. Then keep going with both until that side is at whatever height you want. Slide stands in at pinch welds and lower. Repeat for other side. Use hockey pucks as jack pads. Tape two together to give extra lifting height if needed. Be careful - check stands as you go, don't put head under wheel, etc.

If you hunt around there's an old thread that shows these alternate lifting points.

Edit: These are the spots where I lift from so the pinch welds stay open:

frontJ.jpg

rearj.jpg

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I've done the shopdap method dozens of times, it may look sketch but it works fine, just use caution as always.

the humble mechanic version looks less sketch, but I'd rather have jack stands on the pinch welds instead of the subframe, personally.

In his video he shows how he moves the front two jack stands from the subframe to the pinch weld. I"d use a piece of wood on the subframe but that should work fine.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
^^^ I can get my lowered gti up onto 4 stands (which are all placed at the actual jacking points and none under the subframe) in 6 to 8 minutes - though it does require using 2 jacks. Way way easier and less sketch than the shopdap method. I know it's not really sketch but it just looks so janky. Kind of wish I'd just bought a quickjack when I got the car.
I have had to use the shopdap method as the pinch welds are like 5 inches wide and thats all the hockey puck can grip, didn't feel safe or not any other better points. There is a solid other point in the subframe but I didn't wanna mess with it. Shopdap method works but it feels super sketchy. I guess its only sketchy the first time, but my setup is also not the best garage floor is rock/concrete mix kinda

Edit: just watched humble mechanic video it seems nice, makes sense, I mean only difference is he is probably jacking the crap of out the front to get the back to go up that high. It also helps being a VW Master Tech so im sure he has done car lifts 100's of times if not 1000's, there is reassurance in experience

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Floor jack + hockey puck with cut groove to jack using the pinch weld at the beefy area.

Jackstand on subframe.

Done.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I usually use ramps when I do oil changes as I like to inspect things under the car while I’m down there. I also have an oil extractor, but use it mostly for brake and clutch service. I have space saving jack stands as well that use the same jack points as my hydraulic jack while lifting. Those are very handy.

And I too use Liqui Molly.

Internexus

Ready to race!
Just curious, what do you guys do with the used oil? How do you transport it?

There's a couple of options for this. Originally I started with keeping 2-3 one gallon containers that antifreeze or vinegar comes in. I would usually go to the automotive store (autozone offers a free spot to dump your oil in the back) to empty them out when I have several filled up. However later in the years I just picked up one of those "Homer Buckets" (link below) with a lid and just haul that bad boy in when it was starting to get full. Also worth noting take along some rags or a trash bag just in case things get messy when dumping the old stuff out so you don't get your car nasty.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-Gal-Homer-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
There's a couple of options for this. Originally I started with keeping 2-3 one gallon containers that antifreeze or vinegar comes in. I would usually go to the automotive store (autozone offers a free spot to dump your oil in the back) to empty them out when I have several filled up. However later in the years I just picked up one of those "Homer Buckets" (link below) with a lid and just haul that bad boy in when it was starting to get full. Also worth noting take along some rags or a trash bag just in case things get messy when dumping the old stuff out so you don't get your car nasty.

I have an extractor.

So I extract the old oil, pour in the new oil and use the new oil big jug to pour it in from the extractor.

No mess, no fuss and the cap will seal it.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

This is just a warning to people who read this. I tried to do this once with a 1 gallon water jug, but the auto store refused it. Even thought it was dry when I dumped oil into it, because a foreign liquid can contaminate the oil (even worse with antifreeze), a lot of auto shops will not accept used oil transported in anything other than an oil container. To avoid this possible issue, I recommend what XM_Rocks said and use empty the jug of the oil you just poured into the car. Keep the jug after you dump the used oil at the auto shop the first time, and now you have a spare if necessary.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I use a nice heavy duty 3 gallon jug that at one time held a cleaning solvent. I've used it for something like 30 years & I've never had a problem.

Valvoline Instant Oil Change is who I used. Until they stopped accepting it I then switched to Advanced Auto Parts, never a problem there.