GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Floor Jack question

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just curious, what do you guys do with the used oil? How do you transport it?
I burn it. Works great to get rid of stumps. Drill a bunch of holes in the stump with an 18" auger bit and clear them out, fill the holes with oil and keep filling them til they stop soaking up the oil, then call a few friends over and kill some beers around the fire

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Just curious, what do you guys do with the used oil? How do you transport it?

Walmart sells oil totes. Normally black. Look like gas can but wide opening. Take to dump as they take old oil. Or check with oil change place or auto store.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

Attachments

• 3179B907-8FCE-4AEC-80E3-8C5098BBF33C.jpeg
    3179B907-8FCE-4AEC-80E3-8C5098BBF33C.jpeg
    1,023 KB · Views: 92
  • 245B5444-BC09-40DC-9319-4FDCB9A41134.jpeg
    245B5444-BC09-40DC-9319-4FDCB9A41134.jpeg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Get an oil extractor!

You can easily do an oil change in less than 15 mins and never crawl under your car.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Their 5L bottles have a pull tab top.

To be honest, I've only done one oil change on my GTI so far, and I opened it by pulling the tab. Not sure if you can unscrew the cap or not.

Well you're the only one who mentioned Liquid Moly. I've never used the stuff and prefer things I can find easily and locally. I've never seen a container of oil that can't be resealed and if that's the case it's a ridiculous design. What do you do if you don't use it all?

Also note that I've used old milk jugs in the past to store used oil/car fluids.

You pull the spigot out with the 2 black tabs, then unscrew. The cap is small and if you do yank hard enough on the tabs you won't notice it is a screw cap. I send my oil back to FCP Euro and I just screw the cap back on, push the spigot back in and off it goes.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
IMHO, this is not an either or. Everyone should have a solid floor jack (and jack stands) as well as an oil extractor. For shits and giggles, I also have ramps. This is how it starts guys - and one of the reasons I can't tell the s.o. when I'm going to Harbor Freight. Best to ask forgiveness.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Jacking up the MK7s are always tricky., because being a smaller vehicle the weight distribution is not uniform., plus the points for Jacking up and the jack stand is too close. You need to jack the front first and put the floor stand on the back., and you need this in a specific sequence.

This video talk about this in detail and i follow this -

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ I can get my lowered gti up onto 4 stands (which are all placed at the actual jacking points and none under the subframe) in 6 to 8 minutes - though it does require using 2 jacks. Way way easier and less sketch than the shopdap method. I know it's not really sketch but it just looks so janky. Kind of wish I'd just bought a quickjack when I got the car.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Jacking up the MK7s are always tricky., because being a smaller vehicle the weight distribution is not uniform., plus the points for Jacking up and the jack stand is too close. You need to jack the front first and put the floor stand on the back., and you need this in a specific sequence.

This video talk about this in detail and i follow this -

The first time I did this was one of the most nerve wracking things i've ever done. I think I watched my dads (who is used to working on pickup trucks or on lifts) soul leave his body while he watched me do it

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
With those safejacks (or jackpoint stands) it's really easy. Although I've got 4 stands, you could actually get away with two (plus two normal jackstands) as jacking from the one side of the car gets both wheels well off the ground - I simply end up placing the rear stands on either side.

As mentioned, they aren't cheap and might not work with some substantially lowered cars, but I decided to go with them as a. I already had a jack and b. I figured I'd not gain a great deal of time by using a quick jack (which I was almost set on getting) by the time I'd gotten it all positioned and setup etc.

tkmn

I just wish I could get a fumoto valve for the VW.
(y) I had one in my old 9-2X and the B5 has one. Makes things much easier.

So I'm selling some snowtires/rim from my old 9-2x tonight for $250. Just enough to cover the funnel and couple of those rennstands (with the 12% off.) It was gonna be Christmas money. Decisions, decisions.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I've done the shopdap method dozens of times, it may look sketch but it works fine, just use caution as always.

the humble mechanic version looks less sketch, but I'd rather have jack stands on the pinch welds instead of the subframe, personally.