GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
No way I'd take my car to a Mobil1 or any other Iffy Lube shop. Many horror stories about their screw ups.

Yes dealers can screw up too, but they are more likely to make it right should something go wrong. I mostly do my own oil changes, but when I'm hurting too much the dealer gets the job. I bring my own oil & filter, the charge is $20.

When I change my oil I run the car up on ramps & slide under. I like to see the bottom of the car once in a while.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
This is not true at all. The extractor gets almost everything out. I've opened the drain plug after extracting during all my oil changes and maybe had a drop or two come out at most. Please don't spread false information with no proof other than what your brain feels.

The extractor works great and is a solid investment. Easiest oil changes ever. Get yourself an extractor and a 32 mm socket for the filter housing and you're golden

Edit: also never bring your car to a "quick-change" oil service place. They are trash

Proof is on youtube. 1000% BS your extractor leaves 1-2 drops of oil in the oil pan.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Extractor. Manual pump. Easy.

Attachments

• 4A2F6672-86C3-4B32-A85E-B6E425E8CBB0.jpeg
    4A2F6672-86C3-4B32-A85E-B6E425E8CBB0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • 063944E5-59B6-4055-8ED7-20C962068BE2.jpeg
    063944E5-59B6-4055-8ED7-20C962068BE2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 107
  • 0A70DE00-0D21-40F6-879B-950B86FDCC32.jpeg
    0A70DE00-0D21-40F6-879B-950B86FDCC32.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 117

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
you would not like how an oil extractor cannot extract the last 1/5-1/4 quart of oil sitting at the bottom of the pan.
Well you sir, should just tear down the entire engine and wipe every surface dry then. You would not like how much oil is left in the block, cam valleys, oil galleys etc. EASILY that same (or more) 1/5-1/4 qt. that MIGHT get left behind with an extraction (but most times will not). Again, it won't make a shit bit of difference when you add in ~6 qts of fresh oil and start the engine for the first time afterwards. Sheesh. Love these extractor vs. drain arguments ? .

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I would suggest that you purchase a set of Race Ramps for lower cars and do the oil change yourself. These ramps give plenty off clearance and are very safe. Go to ShopDap .com and purchase their magnetic drain plug with 10 replacement O-rings (I assume that you still have the stock oil pan). Get a suitable pan to drain into and go at it. It is easy and then you know that it was done correctly. I have had my 17 GTI Sport for almost 3 years and have done all my oil changes. I changed the plastic oil filter housing to an aluminum one from ECS Tuning. You will need a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing. Oh, and by the way I also have been driving and doing my own maintenance on cars for over 53 years, so not to far behind and will continue to.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I would suggest that you purchase a set of Race Ramps for lower cars and do the oil change yourself. These ramps give plenty off clearance and are very safe. Go to ShopDap .com and purchase their magnetic drain plug with 10 replacement O-rings (I assume that you still have the stock oil pan). Get a suitable pan to drain into and go at it. It is easy and then you know that it was done correctly. I have had my 17 GTI Sport for almost 3 years and have done all my oil changes. I changed the plastic oil filter housing to an aluminum one from ECS Tuning. You will need a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing. Oh, and by the way I also have been driving and doing my own maintenance on cars for over 53 years, so not to far behind and will continue to.
32mm ?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
it's a VW...it'll have an electrical nightmare before it has oil related failure

Mud

old school and ramps. I doubt there is much difference between extractor and old school drain plug....assume plug does a slightly more complete job but not enough to matter. As mentioned I like to crawl under car and look for other issues.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Actually @imthanick_a there are multiple videos including from ShopDAP (and my own experience bottom draining after extraction) showing that the extractor method can absolutely leave 1-300ML of oil, which translates to the 1/5-1/4 quart of oil in the pan @GTI-CAL mentioned, and I am pretty thorough about sucking the shit out of that pan.

So, yes, it absolutely is true and can happen. That being said, as Paul from ShopDAP and other mechanics/enthusiasts point out, that amount of oil isn't much to be worried about in the grand scheme of the amount of new oil you're putting in and when using a quality filter.
I push the tube in very hard until it absolutely wont go any more, then let it suck air for about 5 minutes after it stops getting full on stream of oil. Never had any drain out of the pan. And like you said, even anything left over if you don't get all anal retentive on it like I do, the small amount will get diluted and not be a problem

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I up close and once seated, move it up, then when exiting, put it back. My seats still look like new.

I “interviewed” the employee to decide if I could use the Mobil1 facility. He found my conditions amusing and smirked during my conveyance of requirement to decide if I would want the place to be considered for my oil change. He said, we’ll try. I said, not good enough, thank you. Oh, by the way, how much? Over $120 for this and that. I told him the local VW dealer did it for $59, he said he can’t beat that price.

BTW, I never had any issues with the local VW doing any oil changes, the did so impeccably. Well, maybe once they left the seat pulled up. :(

I’ll be dead in 10 years, so I want to not get stressed over any A-hole not respecting my requirements.

I never really read the OP until now, but all these things I singled out make me think that at some point in your life you've had people locked in your basement for extended periods of time...

My seats look brand new after 3 years of sliding on the bolster, rubbing on it, and never moving the seat, getting it dirty and cleaning it. It takes 4 seconds to adjust your set and if you do it every time you get in and out of the car then why does it matter if the oil change tech doesnt move it back to where it was?

If you're going to be dead in 10 years, why are you stressing so hard about these minuscule details that won't pose any threat to your car at all? There are more important things to worry about in life, like which octane you should use and if you should buy a manual or a DSG.

Mobil 1 gave you $120 as a "fuck-off" price because they didn't want to deal with a pain in their ass and potential legal trouble if they got a drop of oil in the wrong spot in your engine bay.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I want to know why a 55 year old man believes he will be dead in 10 years.

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
There are places that can change your oil without even sitting in your seat. Search for a place that you drive on a ramp over an open pit. You don't even have to get out of your car. I know Valvoline has it like this. I will never take my car there as I don't trust these guys. Only suggesting this to you because of your "requirements".