GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need a new engine at 48k miles, pre owned warranty voided by stage 1 tune

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Do you just monitor average kr so you can free up 3 other spots to watch other things? I currently just show my 1-4 kr. Currently when i watch my 1-4 i've at most only had 1.5 i thin it was, normally it's been sitting at 0

Yes, I only monitor KR Average so I can monitor other things.

So you’re saying Cobb tuning is bad?

Cobb's OTS tunes are bad for our cars. They tend to have a lot of knock.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Cobb's OTS tunes are bad for our cars. They tend to have a lot of knock.

I don't think that's true at all. They're very mild. I used them for a few months and saw very little knock.

The MAPerformance ones on the other hand, have tons of knock. Like, double digit values.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I monitor 6 gauges - Boost, AFR, IAT, LTFT, KR Average, KR Cyl 1
KR Average is good to see when KR is happening but as it’s the average of the 4 cylinders it can be misleading so I also monitor Cyl#1, last in line to get fuel and first to lean out. This gives me a good idea just how much KR each has. My EQT tune only ever has KR on low rpm (-2k) high gear throttle and remains less than -1.5. Now I just downshift or ease into the throttle until above 2k rpm. Like Diggs said little spool up KR isn’t bad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry, the AP is a great tuning solution, but Cobb's OTS tunes have been terrible universally across many platforms for almost 2 decades now. If you buy an AP and don't have a protune done by a reputable shop, then you're defeating the purpose of getting an AP. Their OTS tunes are good enough for light daily driving until you can get a proper tune.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
The MAPerformance ones on the other hand, have tons of knock. Like, double digit values.

Having spent a good while in the high performance Subaru world... I wouldn’t give MAPerformance a penny, let alone trust them with any tuning. Not even on a cheating ex-wife’s car. They are on my “avoid at all costs” list.

I’d sooner rely on Jessie from TFATF to tune the nasty hole in my fuel map... and that MF doesn’t even have brakes on his car.

Last edited:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
sorry to hear that man....I've blown up a handful of motors in my life and know exactly how that feels.

I'd just get a used engine with low mileage and swap it in and do downpipe and get a used intercooler so at least when you put it back together you'll be super happy with how much better the car drives. I'm sure you can find a local indy shop to do it for not too insane money.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Keep your eyes open and you can find a motor, good known motor are around the 3k + mark I found one for 1k with 31k out of a smashed car but had a broken mount bracket on the block, luckily i found someone that could weld cast iron here and was able to repair it, it's not a bad job especially on a gti, good luck with your search if you have any questions message me and I'll be glad to answer or help I any way

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
One thing I found out a long time ago when sourcing a replacement for my b5.5 engine. When you split the long block, Audi part numbers were the same (short and head), but if looking by long block, totally different