GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Uthor

1. Uthor

Stupid Wheel Question #83: Putting on Wheels

Does anyone have a good tip on putting the wheels onto the car? I'm used to cars with studs and the GTI's a pain in the ass lining up the holes for the bolts. I was thinking about getting a really long bolt with the right thread and cutting off the head to make a stud of sorts to help align...
  2. Uthor

KeeLoq Encryption Broken

KeeLoq encryption, which is used by car manufacturers (including VW) for their remotes, has been broken. I'm not too worried about it as it takes like an hour to do and a day to get the keys, so smashing a window is still easier, but still. http://www.crypto.rub.de/keeloq/index.html They go...
  3. Uthor

Resetting TPMS

I switched over the TPMS to a new set of wheels and I was told I need to reset/recalibrate the system. I know I saw a thread on here about it, but I can't seem to find it. Can someone help me out?
  4. Uthor

Strength of Light-Weight Wheels?

I have to buy a new set of wheels soon (probably right after Easter). I was set on the Flik Ftd's, but they are out of stock for the moment. If they come back in stock and come back down to $99/wheel, I'll probably get them. Looking around some more, I also came upon the Enkei Rsv's. They...
  5. Uthor

Volkswagen Charleston 17" Wheels

Yeah, me again. Long story short, I busted a wheel only to find that it's not a stock GTI wheel. I'm pissed at the dealer, but seeing as how they are almost 200 miles away, I'm not gonna get a chance to yell at them for a couple weeks. After much debacle, I just decided to spend the money and...
  6. Uthor

Stupid Wheel Question (Stock Wheels)

Which wheels are these? How much do they cost to replace each? I think I bent one of the rims (though it may be out of alignment). Hit a pothole. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I can get a better picture, but I'm betting you guys can figure it out from that terrible angle.
  7. Uthor

MFD Display

I'm bored at work, so... Poll time! What do you set your MFD display to while driving?
  8. Uthor

Weird Headlight Washer Issue

I'm reposting this from Vortex. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. So I took my car in Monday for its first oil change, the headlight recall, and an issue I've been having with the headlight washers. When I got the car, they came on every third time I...
  9. Uthor

Dodge Caliber SRT4 vs. GTI vs. Mazdaspeed 3 vs. Subaru WRX

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/comparison_tests/Motive_Vs_Turbo_Toyboxes.shtml Hey, people like reading about their cars in head-to-head competitions, right? This was put up a few days ago. Didn't see any links to it on here.
  10. Uthor

Tools

Hopefully I won't have to do any real work on my car for a few years, but I was wondering what are the common tools needed to work on a GTI besides a basic SAE/metric socket set, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and, most importantly, a hammer? I saw a post talking about getting a torx set. Any...
  11. Uthor

Sud's in Peoria

Does anyone have experience with Sud's in Peoria? Them and Sud's in Bloomington are the only VW dealers within 120 miles or so of me. Was wondering how their service is if I ever need to bring the car in.
  12. Uthor

First Car Payment

I'm supposed to pay my first car payment (that'll be fun) on Sept. 11, which is two weeks away. I was told I'd get a bill in the mail, but haven't gotten anything yet. Should I have it by now, or do they come a bit closer to the due date (which would suck)? I'm thinking I need to call up VW...
  13. Uthor

Wiper Blades

Here's a stupid question: My driver's side wiper blade sucks ass. It leaves a nice three inch patch of unwiped area just below my sight line. I think it's defective, but I'm not about to drive to the dealer and argue over a $6 part, especially since I bought it from a dealer almost 200 miles...