GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by somerset9

1. S

Socal - Los Angeles / Mechanic - Shop, recommendations? No more stealer-ship for me!

If you're in Santa Monica, the previous owner for my GTI used to go to Santa Monica Autoworks. There's also Ocean Auto Care in Studio City. Otherwise, the only other shop I have personal experience with is down in Huntington Beach (Metric Autosport)
  2. S

Rant--reflector deletes/covers are the blank buttons of the exterior

I never said anything about people outside LA or that different cars should be made
  3. S

I guess that's a difference of opinion. If it's not a smooth surface like the front side markers, then it's so clear to me that there should be an amber/orange reflective strip and the contours throw off the whole look to me, color matched or reflective red. I see a few Audi and Porsche with...
  4. S

The blacking out the rear badge looks especially bad if you don't get the color-matched background. If I had all the money in the world, I'd have the side markers "shaved", i.e. take the bumper off, get some body filler where the reflectors go, and then get it sanded and painted.
  5. S

I follow a lot of car-related pages on IG and every single goddamn day there's cars with its reflectors covered up with vinyl/paint/whatever. It irks me to no end that a safety feature would be bypassed and poorly at that! You can still see the indentations and the body lines where the...
  6. S

Golf vs Long Golf?

I am considering getting a more comfortable daily to complement my 2009 Miata. I never found the Golf to be lacking in storage space. Sure, on a Sportswagen I wouldn't have to take off the front wheel of my bike, but having that much space just seemed excessive to me. However, I have never...
  7. S

FS: Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, Autotech shocks, and VWR springs

Rotors and Hawk HP+ pads (front and rear) - $240 local Autotech shocks ($300) and VWR springs ($160) have around 12k miles and in good condition.
  8. S

FS/FT: 2007 GTI (UG 4 doors 3 pedals)

Mileage at 87,200, updating price to $6500
  9. S

TT/S3 alloy arms & swivels Thread

You will also need new tie rod and ball joint nuts, since the aluminum parts need the flanged nuts. WHT000785 i believe works for both the outer tie rod and the ball joint. I just got the front spindles on and it is a nice difference. Steering ratio is a tad quicker and the car feels more nimble.
  10. S

Official California FS/FT/WTB/WTT Thread -- Part 2

selling five (5) of these Classix wheels on Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires (had them for 7 months but did take them to the track once). Only minor curb rash, no bends or cracks, no plugs or patches. $500 local
  11. S

FS: OEM Classix with tires

selling five (5) of these Classix wheels on Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires (had them for 7 months but did take them to the track once). Only minor curb rash, no bends or cracks, no plugs or patches. $500 local (Los Angeles, CA)
  12. S

Bumpy ride

I am also experiencing the same, but with mild lowering springs (H&R OE Sport, 0.75" drop on 2006-07 cars, 0.20" on 2008+) I owned a 2012 GTI prior to this, and that car was much softer than the 2007. I don't remember the stock 2007 having such a bumpy ride, but I do remember that the bumps felt...
  13. S

Freebie: Set of brake pads for 2008 GTi

Are they OEM pads? PM me with your contact information, I would gladly take it off your hands
  14. S

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

My company has been work-from-home since March 20th...good riddance as I take the bus to work (unusual for a Los Angeles resident) and I've been seeing even the bus get emptier and emptier. Hopefully this teaches people to (1) take sanitation more seriously, (2) think more about the importance...
  15. S

Shifter side-to-side piece stuck

Hi. The side-to-side lever on top of the shifter tower is stuck. Not like it's not moving, but there's not enough room for me to get the piece out. Any advice?