GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by ecoterragaia

1. ecoterragaia

55,000 miles- Timing Belt Replacement

Just got the timing belt kit from ECS this past weekend and I plan to do the job myself in about 2 weeks. I've never done a timing belt before, but I've got the Bentley and several instruction pamphlets, plus some mechanical experience/know-how. I was hoping I could get some advice from those...
  2. ecoterragaia

Spark plugs or coil packs?

I got the coilpack recall done a few weeks ago, and I figured that it would be good to change the spark plugs at the same time. However, the dealership said that they would charge 1 hour labor to change to spark plugs ($98), so I paid the $18 per plug and changed them in the parking lot myself...
  3. ecoterragaia

WTB: Stock Grill (& emblem if available)

Like the title says. Looking for a stock grill and original VW emblem if it's available. Thanks!!!!
  4. ecoterragaia

Oil Service Interval

Just wondering if anyone's ever changed the oil service interval using VAGCOM? I've searched and can only find how to reset it, not how to actually change the interval mileage. It's not essential, but it would be nice to be able to have it remind me when I want it to rather than every 2 1/2...
  5. ecoterragaia

DMF - Too much play? (video)

Does it look like I have too much flywheel play? I've never had any experience with them, so I'm not sure. This video is shot through the hole where the starter motor is supposed to be, and the part that I'm touching is actually the pressure plate cover. Notice that the primary mass of the...
  6. ecoterragaia

Piston slap?

Was hoping that those familiar with this concept might be able to help me out. I've got a knocking coming from the engine during the first ~10 minutes of driving. It's ONLY audible from the inside of the car (i.e. can't even hear it with the hood popped standing over the engine), and only...
  7. ecoterragaia

Bixenon --> Halogen swap possible?

I've got a coworker who just bought a used '09 TDI Jetta. He also has an '06 GLI which he bought a couple of years ago. Don't ask me why, but he'd like to swap the bixenons from the GLI into the TDI. The only complicated part of this would be the electrical component. I briefly looked at the...
  8. ecoterragaia

oil change, what oil? plus cam follower!

This is my follower at 47,839 miles. Just replaced it for PM's sake, but it looks pretty good compared to others.
  9. ecoterragaia

Selling stock catback exhaust?

I've got an early model '07 GTI which I had the resonator deleted a year and a half ago (cut out and straight pipe welded in). I liked the sound at first, but it's driving me nuts now and I'd like to go back to stock. Is there anyone in the Richmond area who has their stock exhaust (cat-back)...
  10. ecoterragaia

Guess this wasn't anyone on here?

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-generation-gd-01-08/50871-friends-vw-gti-stolen.html
  11. ecoterragaia

Timing belt DIY?

I've searched this forum, and no one has posted that they've done a timing belt replacement themselves. I've got tons of squeaking, and it's not from accessory belt. I'm at 45,000 miles I'd like to just do the job myself, but the Bentley calls for dropping the engine to do it. Just wondering...
  12. ecoterragaia

Good dealerships for warranty work in Virginia?

Hey guys, I have a list of potentially problematic sounds with my 2007 GTI 6SP MT. I have clutch noises (like loose gears when in neutral, whirring noises in gear at slower speeds, and a loud "clunk" every time the clutch is engaged/disengage). I also have had a squeaking from the timing belt...