GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by doktorslowburn

1. D

Please help me ID this 2006 GTI 2.0T FSI BPY engine component -oil leak

The thermostat on these cars will go eventually, so if you have no evidence of it being done, I would recommend doing it while you’re in there. It’s not the easiest thing to get to, but if you’re already working on the cooling system, it’s worth the extra time. It’s not necessarily a known...
  2. D

Brake Bleeding Assistance

Yeah it’s a pain in the ass for sure. Highly recommend just taking it to a shop for the bleed.
  3. D

That’s what I was wondering about, but I thought the plug goes on the opposite side, closer to the dipstick? Where the noise pipe meets up with the charge pipe.
  4. D

Mine is the exact same engine as yours- 2.0T FSI with BPY engine code. It should be precisely the same engine because mine is an early 2007, and VW didn’t make any significant changes on this engine until mid/late 2007. My thinking is that this is some aftermarket part that was left over from...
  5. D

I don’t know offhand, but in a few minutes I’ll go grab my Haynes manual out of my car and see if I can find that part. Edit: So, that part… I don’t see it on my engine, and I can’t see it on any of the diagrams in the Haynes manual either. It seems more like part of the EVAP system, but I...
  6. D

How dearly I miss my 2007 MkV

I just bought my MK5 last year. I can definitely see how you miss it so much. Mines still under 100k miles- bought it at 92k and it’s up to 97k now. Spent about 6 months dumping a lot of time and money into maintenance for it. And I’m also guessing it needs a carbon cleaning, as I have no record...
  7. D

Actually yes- I believe the issue was that I didn’t cycle the ABS system while I was bleeding the lines. I think there was a bunch of dirty fluid caught up in the ABS that was ruining the new fluid I put in. So TL;DR, a proper bleed via VAG instructions fixed the problem.
  8. D

Dogbone/SF Bushing Question

Hey all! Had some work done on my MKV recently, which included the engine/trans mounts. When I initially asked the mechanic to include those, I *assumed* he knew I meant all 3 (both upper as well as the dogbone) but I guess I wasn’t specific enough, as he only did the top two. Which is a...
  9. D

Tuning a high(ish) mileage FSI

@ROH ECHT one more question on this topic- I’m going to get a compression and leakdown test run before I go to the Dyno. Compression I know will work, but will the absence of the rear breather check valve cause an issue with the leakdown test? I ordered a replacement breather tube WITH the...
  10. D

Thank you so much for your advice @ROH ECHT , you’ve been a massive help. I owe you a beer sometime.
  11. D

Thanks again, the info you’ve provided has been very helpful. I do have a couple of follow up questions though. So the spare PCV valve I have sitting around is 06F 129 101 P. I’m going to remove the catch can, and ideally I’d like to completely replace the rear breather tube with one that has...
  12. D

Now, see that is good information. I had no idea the catch can was doing more harm than good. With that advice, I honestly might just yank it out. TBH it was more of a pain that it’s worth- I had to knock out the check valve from the rear PCV tube because when I installed the catch can it...
  13. D

I have a boost gauge, just need to install it. It’s actually been sitting in the box for months, just haven’t gotten around to mounting it. I’ve read APR is a pretty mild tune, which was one of the reasons I chose them. I have not looked into actually upgrading the cam follower, just...
  14. D

Hey all! So over the past year I’ve spent a lot of time getting my 2007 MKV (FSI) up to snuff on its maintenance. I’ve done loads of stuff, not limited to but including: - clutch kit, flywheel, rear main seal - engine & trans mounts - manual transmission fluid - oil change with cam follower...
  15. D

Nope! I always filled up the bleeder with way more than enough fluid. The pedal has been squishy like this since I got the car.