GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by 1972vw

1. 1972vw

Issues after replacing battery

I had to replace the battery in my 2009 GTI yesterday, and immediately afterward some odd things started happening. I did some reading on it, but I've not encountered others having one of the issues I'm having. It seems as though the radio (Premium 7) loses its AUX coding if the battery is...
  2. 1972vw

Should I upgrade the rears?

I have a 2009 GTI, currently lowered on H&R racing springs but other than that pretty much stock. I drive it on track days during the summer, and have a set of dedicated brake pads for that. When I went to change my rear brake pads I noticed that the ones on the passenger rear wheel were worn...
  3. 1972vw

Curb damage to door and sill

Story time... I was pulling around at a gas station when a car came driving through the middle of the parking lot pretty fast and nearly hit me...I instinctively cut the wheel but forgot how close I was to the curb around the pumps, and hit the curb with my passenger door sill/rocker panel...
  4. 1972vw

Weird electrical glitch?

A few minutes ago, I had one of my neighbors knock on my door, asking if I had the "BMW" (as he put it) in the far parking lot, with all the stickers on it. Not sure how he could confuse a VW for a BMW but whatever. Anyway he said that one of my rear lights was on, and one of my front parking...
  5. 1972vw

Review: H&R Racing springs with Bilstein Sport shocks

About a month or so ago, I picked up a set of slightly used H&R Racing springs and Bilstein Sport shocks from cj1675 to finally replace the stock suspension on my 2009 GTI. I wanted to go low while also increasing the handling ability of my car for track days. All of this on a college student's...
  6. 1972vw

Need some install tips...

I just bought a slightly used set of H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sport shocks, and will be installing them in the next couple of weeks. Before anyone says something, I have searched and I am continuing to search for more information. I have already found this thread, which seems to cover most...
  7. 1972vw

WTB: Springs, not being picky

Okay so here's the deal. I've had my 2009 GTI since new and I'm still at 4x4 status. That needs to change. I'm in college now and on a budget so I'm looking for lowering springs, any brand (beggars can't be choosers) with any mileage on them for $200 MAX. I know that's a low price but like I...
  8. 1972vw

Dogbone bushing will NOT come out

I recently got the ECS tuning dogbone mount insert, and planned on installing it today. However...I'm running into a major headache. The stretch bolt holding the original dogbone insert in place will not come out. My socket wrench is fairly long so I know I'm probably getting pretty good...
  9. 1972vw

ABS sensor

So there was a thread started about this a while back, and several people mentioned having the same problem. When the traction control or ABS kick in, they get lots of dashboard lights. There is a warning sound, the ABS light comes on, the ESC light flashes, and the "BRAKE" warning light starts...
  10. 1972vw

$50...what would you do?

I've got a 2009 GTI, 6MT. Everything on it is bone stock right now. My boyfriend is gonna spend $50 on me for my birthday...so naturally I want him to buy me something for my GTI. I know that seems like a very small amount of money but we are broke college students...what can ya do? I've been...
  11. 1972vw

I'd like to re-introduce myself

Hello all. I've been a member of the forum for nearly four years now, but I've lately felt the need to re-introduce myself. I joined when I was 16, and I posted some stupid, whiny 16-year old kinda stuff, which understandably created a bad rap for me. I'm nearly 20 now, I live with my boyfriend...
  12. 1972vw

Your car horror stories

I started this thread on another forum and figured what the hell, you guys may appreciate it too. I'm the sort of person who loves looking up the worst cars ever made, and reading the ensuing scathing reviews. Something about me seems to get some sort of pleasure from reading about the worst...
  13. 1972vw

Driving in the snow...lots of warning lights

So we've been getting some snow here lately, and with the inadequate snow management by Lexington that means that all the roads were covered in snow when I had to go to my appointment today. I had to make a sudden stop, which meant that the ABS and ESC kicked on and the car slid some. After...
  14. 1972vw

Euro plate mounting location

I'm getting a euro plate for my GTI, but I'm wondering where I should mount it. I don't want to do any damage to the traditional plate location by putting it there, so I was thinking about mounting it on the lower grille. Is there mounting hardware that allows you to mount it there without...
  15. 1972vw

Check engine light flashing, EPC on

I've got a 2009 GTI, 6MT with 33K on it. I was driving home from work today, was accelerating moderately quickly and shifted into fourth and I heard this weird sort of thumping noise, almost like the traction control kicking in. The car felt a bit down on power as well, and my "check engine"...