GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Opinions?

itsYANO

08 GTI mkV Midnight Black
Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
So.... heres the deal.. ive reallly wanted to chip my car for sometime and have been planning to do so with my tax return.. HOWEVER my pops wont get off my back about my warranty.. i keep telling him im not worried about it but its starting to get into my head.. so my next door neighbor has a fullcoilover set.. im not sure what kind it is right now but i know it has H&R springs.. he said he would be willing to let me have it for $800

im considering putting the chip on hold and starting out with a full suspension setup and taking advantage of the deal (gotta find out what kind of coilovers they are first/how many miles).. that way ill give my car some miles (im at 2500 now) and chances to reveal any problems underwarranty so i can have it taken care of..

i dont know im still going back and fourth with it alot.. what you guys think?

MC.R

at first glance i'd say hell yea chip it with your tax return but then once i read your mileage... get up to 5k or 10k to make sure it gets enough wear not so much about break in just so any minor kinks get worked out before you have to play the warranty game with your dealer, so for right now go for the suspension.. lots of things to consider... take your time and choose wisely... my .02cents
i have 13,500+ miles on my GTI already and im still not chipping it till late spring cause ive only had it almost 3 months now (i drive way toooo much!!)

bcze1

You people make me laugh
I think depending on the dealer, they could both affect warranty claims. Some dealers will blame suspension mods for a lot of stuff, because it causes the car to handle and ride differently.

Are you and your car more about show, or go?

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
first, I would find out more info about the coils. is it for the MKV platform? find out the mileage and then debate on the price. $800 doesn't sound too bad, depending on what coils they are and how many miles are on them

personally I would get a chip first, like everyone has mentioned across the boards, it really does unleash the beast within the GTI. I'm always excited every time I go out on a drive. it's just that much fun. in regards to your warranty issue, I would find a local dealer who won't mind working on your car if it's chipped. if I remember correctly you're from SoCal right? if you're near San Diego check City VW off of Mission Bay and talk to Shane Dehner or Jack Daniels

itsYANO

Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
Thanks for the opinions guys
I think depending on the dealer, they could both affect warranty claims. Some dealers will blame suspension mods for a lot of stuff, because it causes the car to handle and ride differently.

Are you and your car more about show, or go?

im definately more about go.. i wanted to have the sleeper look for a while.. just the whole warranty deal got in my head.. and i understand what your saying but from my understanding i thought they couldnt outwrite void your warranty unless they can prove your mod caused the damage.. i think its harder to relate engine failure/problems to a coilover setup than to an ecu.. thats where my logic was coming from in that sense..

first, I would find out more info about the coils. is it for the MKV platform? find out the mileage and then debate on the price. $800 doesn't sound too bad, depending on what coils they are and how many miles are on them

personally I would get a chip first, like everyone has mentioned across the boards, it really does unleash the beast within the GTI. I'm always excited every time I go out on a drive. it's just that much fun. in regards to your warranty issue, I would find a local dealer who won't mind working on your car if it's chipped. if I remember correctly you're from SoCal right? if you're near San Diego check City VW off of Mission Bay and talk to Shane Dehner or Jack Daniels

lol is that guys name really Jack Daniels? random lol
oh and yes its on the MKV playform.. he has a stg2, fmic,full suspension, the whole deal actually.. im just not sure if his is an 06 or an 07.. he works for a euro shop somewhere here in sd he said he would help me out with any questions i had when he saw i got it..anyways yea i am from socal around the mira mesa area.. so you have experience with them and they dont give you much trouble with mods? maybe i will head down there and check it out tomorrow.. talk to those guys if thats the case

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
i'd say just go with full suspension, then go power. the gti isn't a car meant to go fast in a straight line, it's about the overall packaging and the handling. i wish i had gone coils first.

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
lol is that guys name really Jack Daniels? random lol
oh and yes its on the MKV playform.. he has a stg2, fmic,full suspension, the whole deal actually.. im just not sure if his is an 06 or an 07.. he works for a euro shop somewhere here in sd he said he would help me out with any questions i had when he saw i got it..anyways yea i am from socal around the mira mesa area.. so you have experience with them and they dont give you much trouble with mods? maybe i will head down there and check it out tomorrow.. talk to those guys if thats the case

yeah his name really is Jack Daniels. talk to Shane Dehner and tell him "Derek with the CW GTI" sent you. he's a good guy, he knows I'm chipped and all. he use to have a MK4 and he knows some SoCalEuro guys so he knows what's up.

btw did you go to Fusion on Wednesday?

itsYANO

Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
no i didnt.. i havent been to any meets since that last one you told me about that was on clairmont mesa i think it was fusion.. i just been really busy with the holiday season.. but i will probably head down next wednesday..

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
no i didnt.. i havent been to any meets since that last one you told me about that was on clairmont mesa i think it was fusion.. i just been really busy with the holiday season.. but i will probably head down next wednesday..

word. you should have came on Wednesday. a pretty good turn out

but yeah talk to Shane at City VW and he'll take care of you

bcze1

You people make me laugh
im definately more about go.. i wanted to have the sleeper look for a while.. just the whole warranty deal got in my head.. and i understand what your saying but from my understanding i thought they couldnt outwrite void your warranty unless they can prove your mod caused the damage.. i think its harder to relate engine failure/problems to a coilover setup than to an ecu.. thats where my logic was coming from in that sense..

I didn't say they could outright void your warranty, I said it could affect warranty claims. And a lot of people are confused about how well protected their warranty is. First, a dealer can simply refuse to work on your car at all for any reason, they could say "we don't work on lowered cars". I'm not suggesting this is likely, but possible. And it still doesn't affect your warranty, just means you need to go elsewhere. Also, if a dealer or VW rep says that a failure is due to mods, whether suspension or ECU tuning, they will deny your warranty claim. VW tends to stand behind the decision of its local dealers and reps. Now the only way to dispute this is to take them to arbitration. VW is not required to prove the mod and failures are related until YOU have taken the time and spent the money to start a legal battle. And BTW, they have more money and lawyers than you do.

Fact is all mods jeopardize your warranty, no way around it. If you can't deal with the risk, keep your car stock. But the old saying is true, you gotta pay to play.

itsYANO

Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
I didn't say they could outright void your warranty, I said it could affect warranty claims. And a lot of people are confused about how well protected their warranty is. First, a dealer can simply refuse to work on your car at all for any reason, they could say "we don't work on lowered cars". I'm not suggesting this is likely, but possible. And it still doesn't affect your warranty, just means you need to go elsewhere. Also, if a dealer or VW rep says that a failure is due to mods, whether suspension or ECU tuning, they will deny your warranty claim. VW tends to stand behind the decision of its local dealers and reps. Now the only way to dispute this is to take them to arbitration. VW is not required to prove the mod and failures are related until YOU have taken the time and spent the money to start a legal battle. And BTW, they have more money and lawyers than you do.

Fact is all mods jeopardize your warranty, no way around it. If you can't deal with the risk, keep your car stock. But the old saying is true, you gotta pay to play.

no your 100% correct.. anything you do to your car is altering its original state of operation.. and that alone could give a dealer a reason to refuse warranty work.. i totally agree but like you said..its unlikely that they would refuse warranty work for an engine failure if youve got lowering springs.. but yea your right it is possible.. all i was saying is your more likely to be turned away with engine probs if you are chipped vs suspension work..

bcze1

You people make me laugh
all i was saying is your more likely to be turned away with engine probs if you are chipped vs suspension work..

true, but you're more likely to be turned away or have a warranty claim denied with suspension probs, steering probs, brake probs, interior rattles, etc with coilovers than you are with a chip.

My point is you should not make the decision about what mod to do based on what effect you'll have on warranty. They'll both affect it.