GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Airbag Light

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
hey i got my Airbag Light the other day so today while my car was in for it oilchange i asked them to take care of the light. i droped the car off at 9am and they just called me at 6pm saying the oilchange is done but they need more time to fix the light. they said they only diagnosed the problem and found out where it came from. im going to the dealer in a few to pick up my gti. i always that it was any easy thing to fix with vag-com. Im contemplating going to a different dealer next time. anyone know the process of getting rid of this light.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Turning the light off is easy. Diagnosing and fixing why it came on in the first place could take time. Although there is a TSB for the wiring harness to the passenger seat that is typically the culprit.

Also good to keep in mind they probably had more than just YOUR car in for service. Relax.

MC.R

had my airbag light come on the other day and i turned the car off and turned it back on and it went away
told dealer when iw as there today and they scanned and everything was clear and they are going to do the wiring harness tsb the next time im there cause they didnt want to keep me waiting any longer

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Is this light u speak of in the MFD? Or are you talking about the Passenger Airbag "Off" light on the middle dash?

B

BLKSUNSHINE

My dealer charges $50.00 to take it off w/out asking me the customer..lol some warranty.. to piss them off.. I purchased a set of EJ seats and came back and said it came back on...lol

angrybaker

banned
in my mkIII, the airbag light came on all the time, I would hit the steering wheel and it would go off. Sometimes it still would not go off, then I would have to hit the dash to make it go off. Hope this helps, probably it dosent.
________
Vaporizer Wiki
________
Class action lawfirm

Last edited:

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
yea, in mfd or in dash? i want to know if I go in there for the airbad light on the MFD are they going to have to reflash my ecu after and me loose my APR?

MC.R

its a little light in the dash its a picture of a dude in a seat with a blown up airbag in his face and it also says in text on the MFD "Airbag Fault!"

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
yups thats the one.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
yea, in mfd or in dash? i want to know if I go in there for the airbad light on the MFD are they going to have to reflash my ecu after and me loose my APR?

Wow, paranoid much? No they don't need to reflash for an airbag light. Since the MkV came out, there has only been one ECU update, the OY, that has required a reflash that would wipe out software. No other dealer work will do that.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
its a little light in the dash its a picture of a dude in a seat with a blown up airbag in his face and it also says in text on the MFD "Airbag Fault!"

Oh ok... I was hoping my Passenger Airbag "Off" light located on the dash below the Hazard button was malfunctioning and I could get it turned off when no one was riding with me. Just an annoying little orange glow I could really care less about... I'm perfectly aware the passenger side bag is off when no one is riding with me - thanks VW.

That's about as redundantly annoying as the MFD page I have to flip through every damn time telling me "Setup Features Are Only Available When Car Is Stationary!" Thanks VW. did you really need to keep that enabled for the life of the car?

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Oh ok... I was hoping my Passenger Airbag "Off" light located on the dash below the Hazard button was malfunctioning and I could get it turned off when no one was riding with me. Just an annoying little orange glow I could really care less about... I'm perfectly aware the passenger side bag is off when no one is riding with me - thanks VW.

The passenger side airbag notification light is mandated by the NTSB, as of about '06 all cars in the US were required to have it. Not VW's fault. Its becuase light adutls or children may not weigh enough to activate the airbag, in which case they should sit in the back seat.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
The passenger side airbag notification light is mandated by the NTSB, as of about '06 all cars in the US were required to have it. Not VW's fault. Its becuase light adutls or children may not weigh enough to activate the airbag, in which case they should sit in the back seat.

Well I guess that makes sense... Anyone know if this can be disabled via VAGCOM if you never have any anorexics or children riding shotgun?

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Well I guess that makes sense... Anyone know if this can be disabled via VAGCOM if you never have any anorexics or children riding shotgun?

Don't know for sure, but its highly unlikely.

I recall seeing where some dude in Europe had removed and basically tinted the light cover that says "pass airbag off" so that its not so bright. Just an idea.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I had to leave mine overnight for them to fix the air bag light. It was a bad sensor under the drivers seat.