GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm the opposite, and I'm really starting to think the R is a step in the wrong direction for me. I'm sick of how civilized the Mk7 is. It's no fun. It's capable and it doesn't complain about being asked to do fun things like a Mercedes or Volvo will. But it could use a lot more juvenile tendencies. There are no surprises, no snap oversteer, no wagging rear end, no sudden unweighting of the steering, etc. Aside from the lack of tuning potential, the GRolla is seeming more appealing to me right now.

Of course so is just keeping the GTI as a responsible car and building a Caterham in its previous parking spot, have fun on the street, VDub! I just discovered that my neighbor with a 997 actually has a four poster in his garage and a Caterham on the lift. Imma have to move, or I'll seem like a I copied him.
I'm at .30 toe out rear. You want oversteer. I've got your oversteer. 🤣🤣🤣

I've got a buddy with a 7 replica that has a 1300cc Hyubusa engine. It's a riot.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Reviews I'm seeing are that the GR is a blast to drive, but most won't want to use it as an only car due to the more hardcore nature of the car. It's more of a toy.

To me, that defeats the purpose of a hatchback, and is why I love my mildly modded GTI so much. I slogged through traffic this morning, comfortable as could be, I can put seats down and make a run to get mulch, I can pick up the kid and friends from school and drop at soccer practice, and then track it this weekend, and it does all of them pretty well. Only downside to the GTI/R for me is the cooling capacity and blowing smoke under braking, which can be fixed with a variety of PCV/CC solution and an oil cooler.
I don't think it'll be an issue. I currently drive a corolla hatch which is fine for a DD, I imagine gorolla is the same but stiffer. I don't think it'll be too different than the GTI, especially since the GTI on coils was still perfectly daily-able for me.

The downside is that the trunk is definitely smaller in the gorolla. The packaging around the rear suspension just isn't as tight as it is in the MK7/8 platforms, and the sloping hatch eats up some space as well

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Still holding out hope for a GRC. I talk to my dealer every couple of weeks. Still 2nd in line (and have been reassured multiple times the guy in front isn't going to back out), but I don't have any interest in playing crazy games or trying to chase one down. If this dealer gets me one, great. If not, then no harm no foul
I talked to a dealer a few days ago...they told me they can't order one, they don't know when they're coming, and they can't even give me a price. Their advice was to watch when youtubers started getting them and then come back.
LOL

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Sounds like a dealer (or sales rep) that doesn't know much. Toyota doesn't really work on orders anyway, more of an allocation "here's what we already made, you get to pick something from this bucket". Allocations are given down from regional offices, so dealers can't do much until they're allocated one.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Too many of those popping around, no way that is a legitimate sale, or they are just idiots.

https://www.cavenderchevrolet.com/V...3-Toyota-GR_Corolla-Core-BOERNE-TX/5617921460

1684939559653.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Everyone should call and offer them $32k

Storch

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
23 GTI 40th

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
theres a red core locally here in NC, USED at a cadillac store….$49995 🤣
Yeah... they will be priced gouged the same way the MK8 Rs are. Most of the ones I have seen are being sold for at least $10k over MSRP price, unless you are able to hit a VW dealer that don't mark up. And those are selling as they are unloaded from the trailers.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I just ran across this thread. Been away from the forum for a while as I traded my MK7R for a GT4 a couple of years ago. I had been keeping an eye out for a new R (although I hate the sunroof), but there were none to be found near me. I just picked up a GRC with 2K on it from a friend, Core trim with no options.

I’m still getting used to it, but it begs to be flogged. It’s never going to match a DSG R from a stoplight, but the handling is rock solid, with almost no understeer. The ride over interstate expansion joints can get pretty busy, but it’s like a go-cart on secondary roads, even on rough pavement. It feels like the power level is just right from the factory. Gearing is pretty short in first and second, so the rev limit comes up quickly. In the higher gears, the torque from the little 3-cyl is really impressive. I have yet to find traction lacking, even without having the LSD option. Maybe if I put it on track, but I have other cars for that. The only mod I’ve done is to install a gizmo to have the rev matching function default to “on”, since pedal spacing isn’t ideal to me for H&T work. I may work on that issue, but I really don’t feel the need for anything else. It’s just a fun little car to bang around in. Kind of like my old ‘83 GTI, only faster.

It’s certainly less “civilized” than my R was, but that’s OK. Even the cheap looking interior seems OK. I just want to get in it and go find some back roads to terrorize….