GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help me ID this 2006 GTI 2.0T FSI BPY engine component -oil leak

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
This thread got 40 views and no replies. I made an edit of my initial post, -maybe this edit will help other people reading this.

Hello everyone,
I stumbled while searching online, and I came-up empty. I am lost. I was not able to figure out what system this part is connected to, or what this part is named.

This engine has a "rubber cap" that is split or cracked, and this is causing an oil leak & oil spray. Inside the attached photo, there is a white-circle that ID's the location of the broken part. If you know what this part is called, please let me know. I am guessing it is part of the PCV system...?? This rubber cap is mounted onto (one end of) a Y-shaped hard tube, and the cap is held in position using a worm-drive clamp. The diameter is about 2.0 inches, but I did not measure it, so this measurement is only a guess.

Bonus question:
Any chance you know the name & the part number of this rubber cap?
Once I know what engine sub-system this is, and the name of this part, I will call a local VW dealership for part-number, price, and availability. I will post that info in this thread when I have learned more about it.
Thank you,
-Marde

GTI Oil Leak 20220919_210021.jpg

Last edited:

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
I don’t know offhand, but in a few minutes I’ll go grab my Haynes manual out of my car and see if I can find that part.

Edit:
So, that part… I don’t see it on my engine, and I can’t see it on any of the diagrams in the Haynes manual either. It seems more like part of the EVAP system, but I really can’t tell. Can you get a shot of it from the side, or some other angle?

Last edited:

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
I don’t know offhand, but in a few minutes I’ll go grab my Haynes manual out of my car and see if I can find that part.

Edit:
So, that part… I don’t see it on my engine, and I can’t see it on any of the diagrams in the Haynes manual either. It seems more like part of the EVAP system, but I really can’t tell. Can you get a shot of it from the side, or some other angle?

Thank you for your reply. After several views, and your comments, it seems this engine item is a bit of a mystery for most people here.... but why is it a mystery? I assume this item is part of the OEM configuration(?). My initial thought was someone here would jump up & scream "Yes! That part cracked on me too! -and oil leaked on my engine too!". Strange (to me) that reply did not happen.

Is your 2007 GTI a Turbo engine? -or is it a FSI BPY engine? ((I know little about the GTI engine types verses car model years)) I am a GTI newb.

Yes, I can & will get more pictures, with different angles. This 2006 GTI belongs to my 19-y/o Son. New pictures will have to wait a day or two for me to get back to the GTI location. The GTI is now on jack-stands, we are about to replace the radiator cooling fan assembly. The large fan was spinning off axis, and wobbling horribly. I will be back within 2 days with updated pictures of that part.

Thank you again for ur comments and ur assistance. I appreciate your help.
-Marde

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Thank you for your reply. After several views, and your comments, it seems this engine item is a bit of a mystery for most people here.... but why is it a mystery? I assume this item is part of the OEM configuration(?). My initial thought was someone here would jump up & scream "Yes! That part cracked on me too! -and oil leaked on my engine too!". Strange (to me) that reply did not happen.

Is your 2007 GTI a Turbo engine? -or is it a FSI BPY engine? ((I know little about the GTI engine types verses car model years)) I am a GTI newb.

Yes, I can & will get more pictures, with different angles. This 2006 GTI belongs to my 19-y/o Son. New pictures will have to wait a day or two for me to get back to the GTI location. The GTI is now on jack-stands, we are about to replace the radiator cooling fan assembly. The large fan was spinning off axis, and wobbling horribly. I will be back within 2 days with updated pictures of that part.

Thank you again for ur comments and ur assistance. I appreciate your help.
-Marde
Mine is the exact same engine as yours- 2.0T FSI with BPY engine code. It should be precisely the same engine because mine is an early 2007, and VW didn’t make any significant changes on this engine until mid/late 2007.

My thinking is that this is some aftermarket part that was left over from the previous owner. Possibly part of a subassembly from some mod that wasn’t removed with the rest of the mod. That said though, I’ve no idea what mod would leave something like that behind.

I’ll keep an eye out for further updates. Good luck with the cooling system- don’t forget to do the thermostat while you’re in there.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Noise pipe delete cap/plug it is aftermarket, tighten the clamps if lose or replace cap/plug if damaged. Or you can use this part to get rid of the plug/cap 1K0145770K altogether.

Last edited:

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Noise pipe delete cap/plug it is aftermarket, tighten the clamps if lose or replace cap/plug if damaged. Or you can use this part to get rid of the plug/cap 1K0145770K altogether.
That’s what I was wondering about, but I thought the plug goes on the opposite side, closer to the dipstick? Where the noise pipe meets up with the charge pipe.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you both, it really helps me, and the GTI problem. I was delayed and still delayed to get back to work on this GTI. I hope to get back to this work within a few days. I will post back and add a photo ASAP.

Cap/Plug is damaged via crack in the rubber. Not sure if I want to buy the 770K part atm.

GTI's - Your help & these links are huge. Thank you. I think/I thought we are the second owner's of this GTI, and the PO did not mention any added mods. With your help, I'm learning more today.

I am guessing the 770P (plastic pipe that connects lower left intercooler hose to the throttle body hose) is the pipe that is currently installed in this GTI. I will confirm this with a few days. Separately, the link for the "noise pipe delete" replacement cap is much appreciated. I'm pretty sure that is the exact cap I need.

As of now, I have learned (or believe) I have a Noise Pipe Delete Kit installed. I will confirm this soon. Again, this is my Son's car, and I have not drove it much, or done much GTI maintenance. My Son and I have only done the HPFP lifter (cam follower) replacement -a preventative maintenance item. Owned this 2006 GTI for about 3 years.

Anyone want to guess about the "oil spray" coming from the crack-in-this-Cap? It is my guess that oil should not be at this area & so close to the intake!? -side note: PCV does this kinda thing in many car types, -but this GTI oil spray has me concerned & wondering WTF?

Thank you for your help.
-Marde

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you both, it really helps me, and the GTI problem. I was delayed and still delayed to get back to work on this GTI. I hope to get back to this work within a few days. I will post back and add a photo ASAP.

Cap/Plug is damaged via crack in the rubber. Not sure if I want to buy the 770K part atm.

GTI's - Your help & these links are huge. Thank you. I think/I thought we are the second owner's of this GTI, and the PO did not mention any added mods. With your help, I'm learning more today.

I am guessing the 770P (plastic pipe that connects lower left intercooler hose to the throttle body hose) is the pipe that is currently installed in this GTI. I will confirm this with a few days. Separately, the link for the "noise pipe delete" replacement cap is much appreciated. I'm pretty sure that is the exact cap I need.

As of now, I have learned (or believe) I have a Noise Pipe Delete Kit installed. I will confirm this soon. Again, this is my Son's car, and I have not drove it much, or done much GTI maintenance. My Son and I have only done the HPFP lifter (cam follower) replacement -a preventative maintenance item. Owned this 2006 GTI for about 3 years.

Anyone want to guess about the "oil spray" coming from the crack-in-this-Cap? It is my guess that oil should not be at this area & so close to the intake!? -side note: PCV does this kinda thing in many car types, -but this GTI oil spray has me concerned & wondering WTF?

Thank you for your help.
-Marde

You definitely have the delete, question is did they do it completely and take the noise maker out of the cowl area and use the seals or just removed the piping and leave the rest.

Here is detailed instruction on a complete Npd http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/NoisepipeNew2013.pdf

And this would be a Npd with just the piping remove and capped https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/noise-pipe-delete-plug-mod-diy.200205/#post-3996342

Please do not use the screw in plug that is used for testing or sealing off plumping pipes at least not the screw on metal/platstic ones if that plug comes off under boost it can / will damage the hood.

As for oil coming out from that cap make sure that is actually the case.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
You definitely have the delete, question is did they do it completely and take the noise maker out of the cowl area and use the seals or just removed the piping and leave the rest.

Here is detailed instruction on a complete Npd http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/NoisepipeNew2013.pdf

And this would be a Npd with just the piping remove and capped https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/noise-pipe-delete-plug-mod-diy.200205/#post-3996342

Please do not use the screw in plug that is used for testing or sealing off plumping pipes at least not the screw on metal/platstic ones if that plug comes off under boost it can / will damage the hood.

As for oil coming out from that cap make sure that is actually the case.

Thanks again GTI's,
The whole story is too long or too annoying to tell. The summary is (1) the engine top-side OEM noise pipe is gone <it was there when I was involved during the car purchase> (2) the "noise maker" inside the cowl area may or may not be installed. There is a cap at that cowl location now. There were two sets of different people involved in this NPD, leaves me to believe the NPD was done or half-ass done, and there was never a proper NPD kit used.

Funny you mention those "screw in plugs" or expandable plug types. I did see one in a video, and I did search into that further, and I was considering using one. I now have that on the back burner or off the list completely.

Most important is... yes, there is/was oil spewing from the crack in the cap. I worked on the GTI for maybe 10 minutes recently. I removed the cracked-rubber cap, and confirmed the oil is/was spewing from inside this duct, -at this capped port = the lower left intercooler -to- intake inlet. I did this 10-minutes of car work to identify the ID and OD of the OEM (capped) port.
FYI/BTW - Here are the Caliper measurements of that port: ID 1.3” or 32.9mm // OD 1.6” or 40.8mm (OD measurement includes the first "rib" groove of the port/pipe)

My Son and I will finally get back to this GTI work tomorrow or Saturday evening. The goal is to get the engine fan assembly replaced and also to finalize the replacement cap-type to buy. I did not buy the ($30 + shipping) cap you linked previously. I hope to find something equally good and maybe at a lower price. TBD... and not buy the "expandable" plug type solution. Separately, we are doing a wheels-off inspection of the brake pads & rotors. New pads likely or TBD.

As doktorslowburn mentioned above, should we also replace the T-Stat ONLY because we are working in this area? On this FSI, is the T-Stat difficult to replace normally? Does it help to replace it now? I have no idea how old the T-Stat is OR the difficulty level to replace it.
Cheers! -Marde

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Thanks again GTI's,
The whole story is too long or too annoying to tell. The summary is (1) the engine top-side OEM noise pipe is gone <it was there when I was involved during the car purchase> (2) the "noise maker" inside the cowl area may or may not be installed. There is a cap at that cowl location now. There were two sets of different people involved in this NPD, leaves me to believe the NPD was done or half-ass done, and there was never a proper NPD kit used.

Funny you mention those "screw in plugs" or expandable plug types. I did see one in a video, and I did search into that further, and I was considering using one. I now have that on the back burner or off the list completely.

Most important is... yes, there is/was oil spewing from the crack in the cap. I worked on the GTI for maybe 10 minutes recently. I removed the cracked-rubber cap, and confirmed the oil is/was spewing from inside this duct, -at this capped port = the lower left intercooler -to- intake inlet. I did this 10-minutes of car work to identify the ID and OD of the OEM (capped) port.
FYI/BTW - Here are the Caliper measurements of that port: ID 1.3” or 32.9mm // OD 1.6” or 40.8mm (OD measurement includes the first "rib" groove of the port/pipe)

My Son and I will finally get back to this GTI work tomorrow or Saturday evening. The goal is to get the engine fan assembly replaced and also to finalize the replacement cap-type to buy. I did not buy the ($30 + shipping) cap you linked previously. I hope to find something equally good and maybe at a lower price. TBD... and not buy the "expandable" plug type solution. Separately, we are doing a wheels-off inspection of the brake pads & rotors. New pads likely or TBD.

As doktorslowburn mentioned above, should we also replace the T-Stat ONLY because we are working in this area? On this FSI, is the T-Stat difficult to replace normally? Does it help to replace it now? I have no idea how old the T-Stat is OR the difficulty level to replace it.
Cheers! -Marde
The thermostat on these cars will go eventually, so if you have no evidence of it being done, I would recommend doing it while you’re in there. It’s not the easiest thing to get to, but if you’re already working on the cooling system, it’s worth the extra time.

It’s not necessarily a known issue or anything, just one of those “while you’re in there” type of things. If you do it now, you won’t have to worry about it failing later. Mine gave out around 100k miles.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you again, both of you, to get me headed into the right direction.
I will soon start a new thread, because this has now developed into a different problem. When I start the new thread, I will post a link to that new thread here. The new thread will be about the oil leak that we discovered to be upstream of the initial "damaged cap was leaking/spraying engine oil". My son and I have learned a lot, -thank you again.
Saturday night (10-1-22) we removed the intercooler inlet and outlet plumbing pipes & removed some engine oil from them both. We also removed the aftermarket K&N air filter inlet pipe. We found the oil leak is coming from the valve cover (rear vent tube) PCV and into the turbo outlet, so the engine oil has been going thru the intercooler. We stopped work at that moment. The next step will be removing the valve cover and hopefully ID the bad parts & the parts that need to be replaced. My initial guess is one or both sides of the PCV (check valve) is worn-out (or just oil gunked-up & stuck) and needs to be replaced. Might replace the whole damn valve cover too. TBD.

Any thoughts about our intercooler that is "well lubed" with engine oil?? My current plan is to not flush it & leave it as is. I do imagine a real live Dragon who could "blow-it-out" and clear-out some of that remaining oil though. Rent-A-Dragon.com doesn't seem to be a thing. However, there is a Dragon Boat rental. Oh well,... We gotta wait a few years for the Dragon method I guess.

I read a few other posts at this forum. These include threads from:
ROH ECHT
2.0t FSI EA113; Proper PCV-to-Crankcase breather tube info....
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/inde...r-pcv-to-crankcase-breather-tube-info.378931/
-and-
doktorslowburn
Tuning a high(ish) mileage FSI
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/tuning-a-high-ish-mileage-fsi.403713/#post-7849218

I do not know if we have the valve cover rear vent tube with -or- without the check valve. TBD.
Cheers! -Marde