GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
how well is your house insulated? Mine is rather well insulated, I close it off during the day (windows/shades) open it up in the evening with a cross flow system. It works very well in CT. I do live in the woods which helps.
Insulation is so-so for me where i live, also in a woodsy setting. Townhouse style dwelling so my method was a box fan blowing inward at night from one window downstairs and skylights open in the top floor to vent the warmer air. Usually works well.

Daytime is windows shut except one, blowing the inside air out, no other windows open.

Because HOA I can't do central air, but I'm considering mini splits now to replace the in-wall AC that only really cools off one room.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm in RI.

Keep all the windows and doors shut all day, run the A/C 24/7.

Mini-splits are great.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Insulation is so-so for me where i live, also in a woodsy setting. Townhouse style dwelling so my method was a box fan blowing inward at night from one window downstairs and skylights open in the top floor to vent the warmer air. Usually works well.

Daytime is windows shut except one, blowing the inside air out, no other windows open.

Because HOA I can't do central air, but I'm considering mini splits now to replace the in-wall AC that only really cools off one room.
Box fan in a window on the first floor at night?

Are you trying to get murdered?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Box fan in a window on the first floor at night?

Are you trying to get murdered?

Not everyone lives in Boston. My door isn't even locked overnight 🤣

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What is everyone's thoughts on the TTRS? Within the next couple of months I may trade-in the GTI for either a TTRS, RS3, RCF, or F80 M3.

Top candidates are either the TTRS or RCF as of right now but I don't know what everyone thinks about these cars. I would love to test drive them all and make a conclusion then but with my luck not a single salesman will give me the opportunity.
TTRS always gets my vote. It's like a mini R8 with attitude.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Need you guys to help me settle a debate I had recently...

I've always used fans at night to cool off the house, fans blowing inward during the night and out during the day. Someone I know things that fans blowing in all day does the same thing plus its constant fresh air..

They're wrong, right?

You might be over thinking it. If it's hotter outside, seal it up. If it's cooler outside, open it up. Any air that is blowing out has to be replaced from somewhere, so it's just drawing outside air in somewhere else. Any time you're setting up intake and exhaust fans, you want to exhaust from the highest point and pull fresh air in low.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I live in Florida and have an amazing Trane AC that will keep the house at any temp I set without running all day.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You have mini splits?

One for upstairs. Like 3/4 of the upstairs is an open kitchen\dining\living room area, have one to cool that down.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
You might be over thinking it. If it's hotter outside, seal it up. If it's cooler outside, open it up. Any air that is blowing out has to be replaced from somewhere, so it's just drawing outside air in somewhere else. Any time you're setting up intake and exhaust fans, you want to exhaust from the highest point and pull fresh air in low.
worth reading again. also closing blinds helps a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.