GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Persistent P0087

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
There’s so much good info for from you two it’s ridiculous.

I really missed hanging out here. But since the R forum is almost dead…

I was thinking, would it be possible to add a small shim to the inside of the follower for a quick run? Wouldn’t this also be a way to verify the cam is toast?

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Since logging in on the PC is being silly I’m going to try to load some logs.
this one has
Load % red
Low fuel pressure green
Actual High side yellow
Desired high side violet
This captured the before during and after of the event

image.jpg

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
This one has the same parameters but I captured during the event

image.jpg

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
This one IIRC has
MAF red
Load green
O2 voltage yellow
Boost orange
And I can’t remember what violet was
image.jpg

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Oh...BTW, use a new gasket for the chain cover (use no sealant)__clean the N205 pick-up screen__inspect the cam phaser cylinder...the walls of the opening near the center bolt, the surface should be smooth with no grooves worn into it from the three oil containment rings.

Grooves=Bad
If found with grooves; replace the cam phaser and, with care, the three oil containment rings on the inside of the cover:
View attachment 245778

The cylindrical screen is removable for cleaning the inside of it:
View attachment 245780
Well poop. I didn’t check those two items. It’s ok, it’s only a little time to pull it off again

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Well poop. I didn’t check those two items. It’s ok, it’s only a little time to pull it off again
I hoped this caught you still in the process. Not a huge deal, it's just something worth doing when the cover is off. Checking for grooves (looking at the three rings as well) and cleaning the pick-up screen are all timing related. So when those conditions are present, oil flow containment declines and then VV-timing will have trouble reaching its target. This will show up on data...so. Yeah, since you plan to go back in, you can touch on those then.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I was thinking… maybe a nickel would work since it’s roughly 2mm thick just not sure of the follower’s ID. It’s a quick check so I’ll play with it tonight

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Hey, ROH is an absolute wealth of knowledge and definitely pay attention to whatever he says, but as far as the HPFP N276 is concerned, I wanted to show you mine (I still have it). It cracked right on the mold line... and ROH even pointed it out to me, and I thought... nah, it's not cracked. So, look at it very, very closely and press on the mold lines to see if there is ANY separation due to cracking. It's NOT easy to spot unless you know exactly what you're looking for... and even then, not so easy. My crack was very slight, but it took down my HPFP and ultimately my GTI was remanded to Limp Mode.

Attachments

• HPFP crack.JPG
    HPFP crack.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 49

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I was thinking… maybe a nickel would work since it’s roughly 2mm thick just not sure of the follower’s ID. It’s a quick check so I’ll play with it tonight
No! A spacer will not work because it is limited by the stroke...or "cam lift" shown in the pic on page 1 post 5. If one were to add a spacer, the HPFP piston still only strokes the distance of the cam lift. It just does so in a different internal position within the HPFP. Cam lift when new is 5.25mm...yours is now likely near 3.25mm. This will not change until cam lift is increased with restored peaks of the tri-lobe.

Looking at the graphs...at high load, the hpfp cannot pressurize the rail well enough. Injection rate is increased at high load, but the hpfp is obviously unable to meet the target pressure. So yeah, I am strongly leaning toward the cam unless something else is wrong with the HPFP or fuel rail pressure containment bits which I cannot see.

Last edited:

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
No! A spacer will not work because it is limited by the stroke...or "cam lift" shown in the pic on page 1 post 5. If one were to add a spacer, the HPFP piston still only strokes the distance of the cam lift. It just does so in a different internal position within the HPFP. Cam lift when new is 5.25mm...yours is now likely near 3.25mm. This will not change until cam lift is increased with restored peaks of the tri-lobe.

Looking at the graphs...at high load, the hpfp cannot pressurize the rail well enough. Injection rate is increased at high load, but the hpfp is obviously unable to meet the target pressure. So yeah, I am strongly leaning toward the cam unless something else is wrong with the HPFP or fuel rail pressure containment bits which I cannot see.
Good thing you said something , life got in the way last night and didn’t do it

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Well the good/bad thing is it’s time to start a shopping list. Funny (not really) thing is on our recent trip the tstat stuck open…. Hahaha fml.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Other things have come up at the moment. Once that gets sorted out I’ll post back!!

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Stopping by to give an update. I’m gonna fix this to be ok and I’m going to offload this. I’m over dumping money into a car I’ve grown to loathe in a short amount of time. I found a Passat and the cam looks to be in great shape close to 43mm. Hopefully I can finish pulling it tomorrow morning

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You might try this...it is sort of a last resort for phantom recurring codes.
Just give it enough time while connected to fully drain stored parameters.
How long that is is unknown...as each may differ. So leave it a good while.
Most will say 10 to 15 minutes does the job.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Follow up…using the same calipers as before the new to me cam measured in at
42.xx mm