GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Movie and TV Recommendations

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
If you're at all interested, one of the animated series is arguably some of the best Star Wars content ever created -- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (SWTCW). I'm talking about the CG series, not the traditionally-animated series (although that one is great as well). The first season of SWTCW is a little rough (what first season isn't, though), but quickly comes into its own.
There are condensed/chronological episode orders I can direct you to, if you're interested and would like to cut out filler and just watch the primo shit.
I recently started One Piece at episode 1. I dunno when I'll have time to watch through anything else right now lol

I'm current on the manga and I've already watched from about episode 120ish to the current episode 1018. I haven't decided if I'll keep going when I get to 120 or not. I'm at about ep 90 right now.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Holy shit, yes, I'm also current on One Piece manga. PM incoming.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Anyone interested in Andor after that trailer? I'll give it at least an episode or two. It looks like they're trying to recapture the vibe of Rogue One, which, in my humble opinion, is the best of this new batch of Star Wars movies.
I have a Rogue One tattoo. Best Star Wars movie ever, IMO. It captures the feeling of Empire perfectly, but everything "looks new" with better CGI, cinematography, etc.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I've been lazy and just binging Stranger Things 4 all day, wrapping up the last hour.

Will try to keep it spoiler free, but some might consider it "mild" spoilers.

Started off very strong. First episode was great. It really sucks you in.

From there, it really starts to drag. The episodes are long. With this final one like an hour and 40 minutes.

There's way too many split up story lines going on. You have anywhere from 4 to 5 going on at once.

Some more "heavy-ish" spoilers:
The whole Eleven storyline thread was boring and way too drawn out. Was separated from the main group after like 2 episodes, and was then off by herself.

I didn't mind the Hopper Russia storyline.

Liked the 3 introduced characters, Argyle, Eddie, & Ivan. On the topic of Argyle, didn't like the whole split off of Mike, Jonathan, Will, & Argyle. Just seemed to disappear for large swatches of time.

Unless something changes in this last hour, the main characters have way too much plot armor. They couldn't even kill Hopper last season. Someone of the main cast needs to die. Stakes need to be raised.

What the hell is going on with high school in the first few episodes? Why are all the people who should have left high school last season, like Nancy & Robin, spending so much time at high school?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I have a Rogue One tattoo. Best Star Wars movie ever, IMO. It captures the feeling of Empire perfectly, but everything "looks new" with better CGI, cinematography, etc.

It's the only non original/prequel Star Wars movie I've rewatched at all. Fuck, it is so good.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Han shot first.

It was all downhill from the Special Editions onward.

Through... seafaring means.... I found a 1080p upscaled de-special editioned set of the original trilogy. All the bs CGI is gone, leaving only the upscaled/remastered original movie. The original trilogy doesn't exist outside of VHS (maybe DVD as well? but definitely not on bluray as far as I'm aware). Some guy had to manually recut the bluray special editions to end up with the true 1080p original cut upscale.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Through... seafaring means.... I found a 1080p upscaled de-special editioned set of the original trilogy. All the bs CGI is gone, leaving only the upscaled/remastered original movie. The original trilogy doesn't exist outside of VHS (maybe DVD as well? but definitely not on bluray as far as I'm aware). Some guy had to manually recut the bluray special editions to end up with the true 1080p original cut upscale.
Google 4K77, 4K80, and 4K83

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Google 4K77, 4K80, and 4K83

ooooh good call. I found the files I talked about years ago, before anything was really in 4K. Figures that someone would redo these in 4K.
addition-to-mycollection-more-collection.gif

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Crimes of the Future - 4/5

Let me say that David Cronenberg is in my top five favorite writer/directors, maybe even top three, so I may be biased. However, this film was very well done, but could have been longer. At 107 minutes I found myself thinking “that can’t be it” as it was ending. I wanted another twenty minutes. I wanted to be more grossed out. I needed more Timlin. But overall, the messages were impactful and becoming more relevant by the day. Government overreach on the human body, more plastic and synthetics than we know what to do with, and that Kristen Stewart is one of the greatest female actors of this generation.

Will definitely see again once it’s officially released.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is that a good or bad "what the fuck?"

(Still need to start watching it)

It was a good one. I wasn't expecting it to jump right in like that.

Overall, it was good. Thought the last couple of hours dragged on, which isn't even finished yet, but still good.