GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Crypto crashing and Ether going to proof of stake system so no more mining. Lots of miners will be selling their GPUs soon if you can wait it out a bit longer

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Crypto crashing and Ether going to proof of stake system so no more mining. Lots of miners will be selling their GPUs soon if you can wait it out a bit longer

I can only hope this happen soon. They've ruined the market. Never in a million years would I thought GPUs would be utilized as a tool outside of gaming. Blows my mind. What they should do is allow the queue system to also give you a standard price of what they would normally cost after you wait out your time in the queue. Anyone that needs one immediately (the miners) can then pay way over normal price.

My buddy at work bought his card for like 1400 bucks and said it just is what it is. That is the market now and you have to deal with it. He says, go for it man, you can afford it. I tell him, I know I can, but I would feel RIPPED off doing that. When I bought my 1070ti for like 380 on Newegg years ago, I thought that was pricey but also a steal when the 1080s were going for around 500-600 bucks. So you can imagine, I already thought 600 was insane even if I could of afford it. I just think it's criminal.

At this point, getting a console would be cheaper and I haven't owned a console or ever wanted one since like late 90s... This is ruining the PC gaming market in whole if they didn't realize it. Peripherals and anything PC gaming related aside from the graphic card will take a huge hit if people stop buying and building PC gaming rigs because they cannot afford the cards.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Yeah I saw where this was going with semiconductors a year or so ago and i signed up for the EVGA queue system sometime around last jan and i honestly lost hope after that. but they finally called my number sometime around late November so I was in line for a little less then a year. EVGA, like all of the card manufacturers raised the MSRP of all their shit so the card I wanted (3060ti) went from $350 to $450.

Still I jumped at the chance to buy mine. All I needed to do was check ebay for the current prices on that card to pull the trigger. I think it goes for 900-1100 right now so it was a no brainer.

Likewise I sold my old video card which was an EVGA 1050ti. Threw it on ebay and ended up getting $240 for it. Ludicrous. I checked newegg and I bought the card 3 yrs previous for $180... Like in what world do we live in where computer parts APPRECIATE in value.

Its the same effect with cars right now. My mk7 was bought in 2017 new for 19k and with 50k miles on it in 2022 it is worth 18k. What?!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Yeah I saw where this was going with semiconductors a year or so ago and i signed up for the EVGA queue system sometime around last jan and i honestly lost hope after that. but they finally called my number sometime around late November so I was in line for a little less then a year. EVGA, like all of the card manufacturers raised the MSRP of all their shit so the card I wanted (3060ti) went from $350 to $450.

Still I jumped at the chance to buy mine. All I needed to do was check ebay for the current prices on that card to pull the trigger. I think it goes for 900-1100 right now so it was a no brainer.

Likewise I sold my old video card which was an EVGA 1050ti. Threw it on ebay and ended up getting $240 for it. Ludicrous. I checked newegg and I bought the card 3 yrs previous for $180... Like in what world do we live in where computer parts APPRECIATE in value.

Its the same effect with cars right now. My mk7 was bought in 2017 new for 19k and with 50k miles on it in 2022 it is worth 18k. What?!

It certainly is a great time to trade in a car as long as you have a secondary. Buying another one isn't going to be a steal of a deal either...

This one dude at my gym had a clean looking 2008 Audi A4 I believe it was. I imagine he traded it in because the value was hot. Now he's rocking like a 1997 Toyota Corolla that looks like it went through the war in Iraq and back, lol.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Maybe he had to sell it cuz he invested in bitcoin haha

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
So I almost bit the bullet yesterday morning. This site, stockx had a 3070 for 950. I was like, holy crap. A 3 series under a grand? I'm nearly about to click Buy but there was an acknowledgement at the bottom that you have to agree. It says, you authorize them to unseal the package to verify authenticity. I'm like, whaaaat? Hell no. This is more than likely used...

I then called my buddy who I mentioned up top from work and he told me to hold out. The 4 series will be dropping soon and that they're going to be monsters. Double the performance of the 3 and a lot less power consumption. With that, more price drops on the older cards. Not saying the older cards will just be given away free, but they'll probably be more around the triple digit price range...

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
New series will just be more expensive and will not affect current gen cards, supply of current gen cards will dry up. Double the speed makes no difference. Currently all the way back to the 1080 and 1070 is still not obsolete.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
There was a zotac 3080 on sale for $1099, and available for a short time, over the weekend. It was right on zotacs website.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
New series will just be more expensive and will not affect current gen cards, supply of current gen cards will dry up. Double the speed makes no difference. Currently all the way back to the 1080 and 1070 is still not obsolete.

Well, I was just referring overall to the performance of the 4 series in comparison to the 3rd. Whether that matters in mining, probably not but I'm referring to gaming performance. That's huge if it doubles the 3. Not saying anyone will probably be able to get their hands on one though...

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Well, I was just referring overall to the performance of the 4 series in comparison to the 3rd. Whether that matters in mining, probably not but I'm referring to gaming performance. That's huge if it doubles the 3. Not saying anyone will probably be able to get their hands on one though...
The only application a doubling in performance will impact actual gamers is for VR. Even 4k is sitting pretty on a 6900 or 3090.

The vast majority of high end gamers are using 1440p screens for the better display performance [refresh rate]-[input lag]-[image quality] trinity

At 1440p the current range of cards CPU limits even at 140fps in most games.

For example, at all max quality settings:
1643127934799.png

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
If anyone got cash to burn,
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desk...Y0&irgwc=1&PID=10451&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

One of best deals I've seen in a awhile. Work buddy coming through again! lol. Almost about to buy but I REALLY want to build my own. This feels like buying a used car as opposed to new.

On the flipside, you can do what his friend did. Buy it, swap out the GTX card, put in your old card, sell it for good money (obvious less than you paid since missing RTX), and now you basically have your RTX card and recoup a lot of funds for selling the PC. Now you can do your own proper build if this one isn't good enough for you... though I don't know, 3070, i9, 32gb memory, under 2k? There is a 100 dollar off coupon also on the Lenovo website...

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
A friend of mine just got a cyperpower rig that has a 3080. It's built in a Lian-Li Case with some good hardware. Seems like as long as the rig you get has good bones you can fix the little stuff over time.

The biggest place these builder companies skimp on is RAM and the quality of the cooling, easily fixable on your own.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
A friend of mine just got a cyperpower rig that has a 3080. It's built in a Lian-Li Case with some good hardware. Seems like as long as the rig you get has good bones you can fix the little stuff over time.

The biggest place these builder companies skimp on is RAM and the quality of the cooling, easily fixable on your own.
They like to give you the cheap power supplies and ssd's too. It blows my mind still seeing HDDs in computers. Even sata SSDs should be phased out as an OS drive. If it's not an m2 nvme I don't want it. Any computer I build gets a samsung 970 or 980 no matter what.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
If anyone got cash to burn,
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/lenovo-legion-t7-34imz5/99le9700365?clickid=Uq:wBHy::xyIWYJ1SZ3RNyi5UkGyHcwUET9j3Y0&irgwc=1&PID=10451&acid=ww:affiliate:bv0as6

One of best deals I've seen in a awhile. Work buddy coming through again! lol. Almost about to buy but I REALLY want to build my own. This feels like buying a used car as opposed to new.

On the flipside, you can do what his friend did. Buy it, swap out the GTX card, put in your old card, sell it for good money (obvious less than you paid since missing RTX), and now you basically have your RTX card and recoup a lot of funds for selling the PC. Now you can do your own proper build if this one isn't good enough for you... though I don't know, 3070, i9, 32gb memory, under 2k? There is a 100 dollar off coupon also on the Lenovo website...
That is a good deal, the 3070 alone is worth like $1200