GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Movie and TV Recommendations

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Most big budget action/sci-fi movies will look amazing if you can grab a 4K UHD copy. Or movies with lots of dark scenes, that really separates HDR from not. 1917 would be a great one to check out for the technical qualities. Ooh, and Blade Runner 2049. All the ones you mentioned would be eye candy as well. Newer Star Wars movies, too.
I got an OLED too, so the space scenes should really stand out.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
OLED is the best.

Mini-LED is becoming a strong contender to OLED, and at a lower price point. They can hit similar contrast ratios and have similar color accuracy to OLED, but have a distinct advantage in terms of brightness and longevity. Definitely worth looking into if any new TV purchases are on anyone's future.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
OLED is the best.
I've had an oled phone for a bit now, but an oled tv is pretty trippy. So far I've only used it as a 2nd monitor on my computer. I use a black background and there's been a couple nights already where I left the TV on over night and had no idea. It looks like it's off.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
For phone screens, OLED is unbeatable imo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mini-LED is becoming a strong contender to OLED, and at a lower price point. They can hit similar contrast ratios and have similar color accuracy to OLED, but have a distinct advantage in terms of brightness and longevity. Definitely worth looking into if any new TV purchases are on anyone's future.
Yes mini leds have closed the gap. But OLED will always be tops in contrast which is infinite on OLED's because scenes calling for black an OLED simply turns off the pixels in the black areas to achieve infinite contrast. Plus you can view an OLED TV from the side and the picture will still be clear.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Yes mini leds have closed the gap. But OLED will always be tops in contrast which is infinite on OLED's because scenes calling for black an OLED simply turns off the pixels in the black areas to achieve infinite contrast. Plus you can view an OLED TV from the side and the picture will still be clear.

Yeah, OLED TVs are amazing. The only place they are objectively worse right now is watching in a bright room. Burn-in is also a con, but that's manageable. The dimming zones in mini-LEDs are great and approximate the deep contrast. Each dimming zone can be shut off by itself. Still not as perfect as turning off individual pixels, but getting there. However, mini-LED still has to deal with bloom, which is the visual artifact of transitioning from the powered-on dimming zones to the fully-off dimming zones. Tech evolution is fun.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I held onto my plasma forever because LCD sucks. Finally OLEDs were down to affordable and pretty cheap around this time last year so upgraded to a Sony A8H 65". It's been wonderful.
65” LG CX here. I absolutely love it!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I wish it handled motion like a plasma but it is still very impressive.
Still wish I had bought a Panasonic plasma before they were discontinued, but just couldn't rationalize the cost at that time.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
65” LG CX here. I absolutely love it!
That's what I was looking at, but 55". I waited too long and I think the C1 replaced it though, so that's what I got. The most important thing for me was the 120hz.

I haven't even messed with any color calibration yet. I just put on game mode, RTS or something like that. Looks amazing without any calibration though. I know there's some secret menus and what not I'll have to play with too. I didn't even connect it to the internet yet. I wasn't planning on doing that for a while, but I think I'll have to just because of the HDR updates they put out...or I wonder if it already has the update. I dunno.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
That's what I was looking at, but 55". I waited too long and I think the C1 replaced it though, so that's what I got. The most important thing for me was the 120hz.

I haven't even messed with any color calibration yet. I just put on game mode, RTS or something like that. Looks amazing without any calibration though. I know there's some secret menus and what not I'll have to play with too. I didn't even connect it to the internet yet. I wasn't planning on doing that for a while, but I think I'll have to just because of the HDR updates they put out...or I wonder if it already has the update. I dunno.
I ran the cables through my crawl space and hardwired mine.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I just finished watching “Come True” on Hulu. I highly recommend it, very interesting and well done.