GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible Turbo Leak?

josiahkkanzler

Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
So I just bought a MKV GTI (08) and I have a oil leak that is causing smoke to come out the engine bay and rarely out the exhaust. It smells like burning out and I can kind of see where it could possibly be coming from. I just bought this car on Friday from a dealer who I know wouldn't sell me a messed up car. I have a picture from what it seems to be a oil leak from the Turbo? I went to pep boys early and they said its a leak coming from possibly the Turbo itself or the oil feed line. I'm not sure if its possible for smoke to be caused from what the picture shows but I'm new to this and not sure what's going on. Also good note is that there isn't any performance issues at all from what I can tell and I wouldn't think its coming form the Turbo itself.
tempImagePdqLYn.jpg

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You will need to find the origin of the leak. It may be the oil supply connection above that area. You might need two new sealing washers and the banjo bolt torqued properly, if leaking here ↓ ...or try tightening it if found to be looser than its specified torque of 30 Nm=22 lb*ft;
adrip.png

This oil return uses a gasket and the bolt torque for the two is 9 Nm=6.6 lb*ft;
andrip.png

...if worse comes to worse...there is engine oil with leak detection dye in it.

josiahkkanzler

Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
You will need to find the origin of the leak. It may be the oil supply connection above that area. You might need two new sealing washers and the banjo bolt torqued properly, if leaking here ↓ ...or try tightening it if found to be looser than its specified torque of 30 Nm=22 lb*ft;
View attachment 227631

This oil return uses a gasket and the bolt torque for the two is 9 Nm=6.6 lb*ft;
View attachment 227632

...if worse comes to worse...there is engine oil with leak detection dye in it.
Okay but its still fine to drive on and everything? I don't wanna ruin the car after just getting it. It seems like just a common problem and somewhat easy to fix.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Okay but its still fine to drive on and everything? I don't wanna ruin the car after just getting it.
I wouldn't want to be the one to say it is fine to drive...not knowing the oil loss rate etc.. It requires the pressurized oil in the turbo to move hot oil out as well. So heat can damage the turbo as much as it being short of oil. If were mine...I would plan on finding the source of the leak and drive it with minimal or necessary throttle until sorted. All the while keeping the oil level where it should be. You can gain access the top banjo bolt for the oil supply better with the shield removed above the turbo. Instructions can be found here; https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...Your_Turbo/63-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Turbo.htm

This plate ↓

Attachments

• aeorfigkjb.png
    aeorfigkjb.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 83

josiahkkanzler

Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
I wouldn't want to be the one to say it is fine to drive...not knowing the oil loss rate etc.. It requires the pressurized oil in the turbo to move hot oil out as well. So heat can damage the turbo as much as it being short of oil. If were mine...I would plan on finding the source of the leak and drive it with minimal or necessary throttle until sorted. All the while keeping the oil level where it should be. You can gain access the top banjo bolt for the oil supply better with the shield removed above the turbo. Instructions can be found here; https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...Your_Turbo/63-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Turbo.htm

This plate ↓
I went ahead this morning and dropped of the car at pep boys to see if they can find the source and they said its coming from the top of the Turbo where the diagram says pressurized oil upply and the bottom that has oil build up in my picture is just a sludgy build up from the oil that has leaked. Its a very small leak with minimal oil coming out but I went ahead and ordered a new oil feeding tube just to be safe and Ill be replacing it. Am I able to replace the tube without having to remove anything else? I want it to be a simple diy at home without taking too much out but if I have to its better than having a mechanic do it. Now I can calm down about the leak now that I got it professionally looked at. Also I was going to do an oil change, should I wait and do it all at once because I'm not sure if oil is going to pour out the housing of that specific tube.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I doubt the tube itself is the source of leaking...and is more likely to be the two sealing washers or its torque on the banjo bolt.

But you should be able to determine the ease of access yourself...I've not ever replaced only the oil supply line.
Just take a good look at it yourself and decide;
aoiloeifjg.png