GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogs

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Dogs are the best. Our three have helped us raise our kids. Lost our two little ones a couple of months apart this year. Ol Buddy is getting old too. Just gotta give them all you got while they’re with you. They sure give it all to us.

8B9895CA-0256-463E-A552-194ACD483436.jpeg

812E4E3C-16FF-4B2B-B5B0-742EE9E15A04.jpeg

B492C466-859B-49C5-A015-AC67B6AA6D61.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Going to bring the mood down a bit.

After 14 years, had to say goodbye to one of our dogs earlier this week. Had her since she was 6 weeks old 😭

20210929_155113.jpg

20210909_160445.jpg

20210709_103101.jpg

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Feel for anyone who loses a pet. We lost our 4 hounds, labrador size & shape mongrels, in about 9 weeks, but they were all aged 15 - 16 years, the 'trick' if you see what I mean is to catch them at the right time so they don't suffer. We took them everywhere with us, we even took one to John O' Groats (very top of British Isles) were there for them from the very beginning the very end, man was that tough, but they asked for nothing but gave us much, always. Was 2 years before I could bring myself to view photos & especailly videos to make copies for viewing, I just welled up each time.

But (bringing things up) a friend had Sprocker Spaniel puppies (half Cocker half Springer) we were offered one, at first we said "sorry, but no thanks", as you do, but they couldn't sell or give away the last one so with slight misgivings we took her. All I will say is if anyone is feeling a bit down and wants a dog - get spaniel. There is a reason they make good sniffer dogs, they don't seem to get bored or tired, ever, 5 years on I don't think I've seen ours sleep ! You know when you get up & are ready for a walk - ours has already been to the door and back, same when getting her lead / leash, ours coat, keys, etc. Slight downside, they can be a handful and seem to need way more training than other breeds and for a while we didn't think we could cope, but once settled down, brilliant dogs....

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Sorry, Acadia. I'm still dreading the day I'll have to go through that with my dog. I know it's soon, but it's surprising how resilient they are. I know I've talked about my dogs walking issues here before. A little over a couple months he got bad enough that his back legs have pretty much become useless. He can't use them for walking anymore, but he's been doing fairly well dragging himself around when he wants to. I've been carrying him a bunch for the last couple months too. My arms and shoulders look great, but I feel a little sore all the time. Other than his legs he's a pretty healthy dog. I've still got him eating 3 meals a day and he still likes his treats. He'll drag himself to me for a cookie after his dinner and then I'll fill up his kong and he'll play with that for a bit. As long as he's still lucid and comfortable I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I don't think it's something most people would do. I mean, a lot of people physically couldn't and it's keeping me from going out and doing anything. I have to stay home so I can take care of him, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I won't regret the extra money, care, and time I've had to put into him.

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Sorry, Acadia. I'm still dreading the day I'll have to go through that with my dog. I know it's soon, but it's surprising how resilient they are. I know I've talked about my dogs walking issues here before. A little over a couple months he got bad enough that his back legs have pretty much become useless. He can't use them for walking anymore, but he's been doing fairly well dragging himself around when he wants to. I've been carrying him a bunch for the last couple months too. My arms and shoulders look great, but I feel a little sore all the time. Other than his legs he's a pretty healthy dog. I've still got him eating 3 meals a day and he still likes his treats. He'll drag himself to me for a cookie after his dinner and then I'll fill up his kong and he'll play with that for a bit. As long as he's still lucid and comfortable I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I don't think it's something most people would do. I mean, a lot of people physically couldn't and it's keeping me from going out and doing anything. I have to stay home so I can take care of him, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I won't regret the extra money, care, and time I've had to put into him.
wow , how does he "do his business" without the use of his hind legs?

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
We currently share our house with a German Shepherd and a Labrador. Took a road trip across the country last April with them both in the back of Golf with rear seat folded down, sure wish I had put something down to catch the fur, took me a few minutes to get that out. lol

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
wow , how does he "do his business" without the use of his hind legs?
I stand behind him and hold his butt up. He can stand still, but he doesn't have the strength to pick his feet up when he steps so they end up being dragged. When he's outside I just kinda follow behind him while I'm moving his back feet for him.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I stand behind him and hold his butt up. He can stand still, but he doesn't have the strength to pick his feet up when he steps so they end up being dragged. When he's outside I just kinda follow behind him while I'm moving his back feet for him.
Are you able to get one of those wheelers for him?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Are you able to get one of those wheelers for him?
I tried. I got him one months ago when he could still walk. Got him a custom fit one that cost me $650 and only used it a few attempts before I set it aside and never touched it again. It was the result I expected though. If it's me helping him and nothing extra he's all good with it, but if I try using a harness, or a sling, or put him in the wheelchair he just freezes up and doesn't want to move at all.

I have a printer stand I put some roller blade castor wheels on with a big fluffy pillow on top and I'll set him up on that so he can eat. Sometimes I'll set him up on it so he can walk around the house, but it's almost easier to just hold his weight under his belly with my hand and let him lead us to where he wants to go.

He's become pretty well adjusted to his new way of life, but you can tell he gets frustrated with it sometimes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I tried. I got him one months ago when he could still walk. Got him a custom fit one that cost me $650 and only used it a few attempts before I set it aside and never touched it again. It was the result I expected though. If it's me helping him and nothing extra he's all good with it, but if I try using a harness, or a sling, or put him in the wheelchair he just freezes up and doesn't want to move at all.

I have a printer stand I put some roller blade castor wheels on with a big fluffy pillow on top and I'll set him up on that so he can eat. Sometimes I'll set him up on it so he can walk around the house, but it's almost easier to just hold his weight under his belly with my hand and let him lead us to where he wants to go.

He's become pretty well adjusted to his new way of life, but you can tell he gets frustrated with it sometimes.
I applaud you for your dedication. The bond you have with your dog is amazing.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I applaud you for your dedication. The bond you have with your dog is amazing.
Thanks, it's taken a lot of time and money from me, but I'm at a place where I can afford both right now so I wouldn't do it any other way. It's gonna be a while before I get another dog though...I've had him since I was 19 and I'm 33 now. I could use a break from the responsibility. I cook for him twice a day too lol, I slowly cook some chicken then add a little piece of beef at the end so the beef's still a little red. Then mix that up with his kibble. I think I've been doing that for a couple years now, it's been a while.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I salute the posters above, we do what can / can afford for our pets, every time, no question, and don't doggos love the rear air vent in Golfs. Never used 'dog wheelers' ourselves but I saw a news item where a guy's dog didn't like the comercially available dog wheeler so he made his own custom device from a 2-wheel shopping trolley, the small drag-along type, dog loved it and became more mobile....