GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai Santa Cruz may be the vehicle that gets me out of my GTI

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, the Connect is pretty cool too. I have a friend with an awd converted full size Transit and that thing is awesome as a bugout sort of car.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The Transit's are pretty neat. My uncle was looking for one as work vehicle. So there was one local and I drove it and really liked it. I could see it as a daily no problem. They are small and drive much like a car.

Agreed, they're definitely not much different than the Golf as far as getting around daily. It's tempting though since I can build a Maverick with all the comforts and specs I want for less than $29k.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, but that's something the MK8 also shares.
And the screens on the Santa Cruz look more straight forward than those on the MK8.
I've got a harder time forgiving non physical controls on a car that's supposed to be more performance focused.
The hyundai interface definitely looks more straightforward vs the VW. (Mk 8 is doesn’t move my needle at all)

I’m assuming the 2.5T is a foregone conclusion, but I‘ve read that their top model will go over $40k.

Was looking at tunes for Hyundai the other day. Looks like you swap out the ECU, no flashes.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
If you want Santa Cruz get the engine with turbo. The small one will be slow. Even the stronger engine will likely not match the feel of a GTI.

Big man in a little truck!

This guy does a good job.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The hyundai interface definitely looks more straightforward vs the VW. (Mk 8 is doesn’t move my needle at all)

I’m assuming the 2.5T is a foregone conclusion, but I‘ve read that their top model will go over $40k.

Was looking at tunes for Hyundai the other day. Looks like you swap out the ECU, no flashes.
It appears that here in the states, one can get the 2.5 with all wheel drive optioned on the SEL model.
That's the way I would go if I do this.

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
If you want Santa Cruz get the engine with turbo. The small one will be slow. Even the stronger engine will likely not match the feel of a GTI.

Big man in a little truck!

This guy does a good job.

cute but those aren't trucks, if thats the option , there's no reason to get out of the GTI

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
This guy also does good reviews. My Wife has the 1.6L Turbo Tucson from 2106. It is ok but not a GTI replacement. If you look at a Santa Cruz I would only consider the 2.5T but even then I would need a test drive. Hyundai has made big improvement and from 2016 to 2021 they may have improved more than I think. But if I was buying my car I would test drive carefully to evaluate the transmission and power of the Cruz. The Cruz is not a truck a d likely not a sports car like a GTI. Will depend what you can live with after a GTI. Cruz weight is just over 4,000 lbs. Up what 900 from a GTI?
Actually heavy for a small non truck.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I've been in this GTI for 6 years now, which is a personal record for me.
Truth is, I would keep the GTI - if/when the time comes I go for a Santa Cruz.
But then I ask myself: Why pay to insure two vehicles?
Why take up the garage and driveway space?
different cars for different things:

me:

GTI for DD
Tacoma for truck things
Comet for Sunday picnics and cool.

I have room for cars/parking which I know can be a factor for people.

if you keep GTI and get SUV turning GTI into race car would be fun. I prefer small, reasonably fun DD which is why I really like the GTI

#dibsonclubsportexhaust!

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
cute but those aren't trucks, if thats the option , there's no reason to get out of the GTI
The very reason I would get out of the GTI for the Santa Cruz is because it isn't a truck.
I'd get the versatility of a bed, plus some mild off road/bad weather capability - without dealing with a truck.
Part of the reason I am interested in this vehicle is that the MK8 has largely lost me.
My GTI is nearly 7 years old, and when the time comes I may be looking for something that can handle the zombie apocalypse.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm going to be in a GTI for a long time - planning to keep mine another three/four years. After that I'll move over to a 2020 Mk7.5 and just transfer the parts over.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
different cars for different things:

me:

GTI for DD
Tacoma for truck things
Comet for Sunday picnics and cool.

I have room for cars/parking which I know can be a factor for people.

if you keep GTI and get SUV turning GTI into race car would be fun. I prefer small, reasonably fun DD which is why I really like the GTI

#dibsonclubsportexhaust!
I've got the room - a very large driveway, but with my son's (19 year old twins) recently getting cars there's a bit of juggling them around at times to get in and out.
If the GTI were a two seat open top car, or some wild muscle car that beckoned some getaway weekend driver experience - I'd be more inclined to want to keep it. Perhaps if I lived around great twisty, mountain roads with no one else around.
But I just don't see the too many times where I'd take it out.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I've got the room - a very large driveway, but with my son's (19 year old twins) recently getting cars there's a bit of juggling them around at times to get in and out.
If the GTI were a two seat open top car, or some wild muscle car that beckoned some getaway weekend driver experience - I'd be more inclined to want to keep it. Perhaps if I lived around great twisty, mountain roads with no one else around.
But I just don't see the too many times where I'd take it out.
Twin boys eh - that must be awesome - like a mini militia.