GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hyundai Santa Cruz may be the vehicle that gets me out of my GTI

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
As some people on this forum may know, I've been here since purchasing my MK6 GTI in 2011, and then on to my current MK7 since 2015.
As a car guy, I'm constantly checking out other cars and wondering what an alternative to my GTI might be - but nothing has gotten me out of my car.
Well, the MK8 underwhelms me - it's grown on me, but there's no "got to have it" factor.
What is interesting me is that Hyundai Santa Cruz.
I could use the utility of a pickup at times, but I normally cringe at the sight of them... Plus, they're so douchey with their Tonka Truck, blocky styling cues inside and out.
I hate that stuff, and trucks didn't always look like that.
Plus, the Santa Cruz would enable some of the outdoorsy things that I'd like to do - like put a fishing kayak on the roof - but don't because I don't like that stuff on cars like mine. Yes, I know some other people do that.
I have no idea when I might pull the trigger though.
Just brought a pair pf new DWS06's for my car to replace the front ones for the winter, and haven't installed them yet.
So, I don't think I'll do anything 'till spring 2022.
We'll see.

Reactions: OBP

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I’m in the position of it would take something very special for me to consider getting out of my car. Even if I were to get something either more weekender or something more commuter and turn my car into a weekender I can’t see getting rid of it any time soon.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I’m in the position of it would take something very special for me to consider getting out of my car. Even if I were to get something either more weekender or something more commuter and turn my car into a weekender I can’t see getting rid of it any time soon.
I've been in this GTI for 6 years now, which is a personal record for me.
Truth is, I would keep the GTI - if/when the time comes I go for a Santa Cruz.
But then I ask myself: Why pay to insure two vehicles?
Why take up the garage and driveway space?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I've been in this GTI for 6 years now, which is a personal record for me.
Truth is, I would keep the GTI - if/when the time comes I go for a Santa Cruz.
But then I ask myself: Why pay to insure two vehicles?
Why take up the garage and driveway space?
It’s a hassle for sure. I’ve had two cars. You can’t drive them both at the same time, but I had my bike then too. So the Camaro went to waste. I feel like I’m at a different place now in life. I would be willing to track the golf and drive something else as a daily.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It’s a hassle for sure. I’ve had two cars. You can’t drive them both at the same time, but I had my bike then too. So the Camaro went to waste. I feel like I’m at a different place now in life. I would be willing to track the golf and drive something else as a daily.
Yes, that's the way I feel right now.
I've been trying to rationalize the idea that I'd take the GTI out on GTI days.
But looking at it realistically, I don't think that would happen often enough to warrant the expense and room.
It would be better for me to have the money from a sale or trade of the GTI, than to have the GTI.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Well because there is no all-in-one perfect vehicle
No, but up 'till now the GTI has been very close to being that vehicle for me for a long time.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I definitely understand being limited in outdoorsy capability. I've been feeling that annoyance a lot lately. Ideally, I just wanna get a tiny trail romper, like a 1st gen Geo Tracker, or a Rav4 back when they still made them in 2dr. Hell, even the 4dr Rav4 was pretty small back then. I saw a nice little Tracker in decent shape for only $2,500 the other day, and I was tempted...

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I definitely understand being limited in outdoorsy capability. I've been feeling that annoyance a lot lately. Ideally, I just wanna get a tiny trail romper, like a 1st gen Geo Tracker, or a Rav4 back when they still made them in 2dr. Hell, even the 4dr Rav4 was pretty small back then. I saw a nice little Tracker in decent shape for only $2,500 the other day, and I was tempted...
One of my friends first cars was an Isuzu Amigo. If you pumped the brakes and popped the clutch just right it would lift the front tires off the ground. It also did burnouts when we put silicon spray on the tires. True story.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
…..and tune it.
JB4 makes one for it.
7,500 towing.
Santa Cruz good bit lower.
Have it if you ever need.

Attachments

• 665DC582-EAD4-4341-B8F5-5874AAF111D0.jpeg
    665DC582-EAD4-4341-B8F5-5874AAF111D0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
GTI is close.
With a slight lift and chunky tires, I would agree. Honestly, I couldn't think of anything within reason that a slightly lifted GTI (or even better, TDI) couldn't do.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I actually went to autotempest the other day and searched for every car under $40k. I only got through a few pages. It didn't take me long to realize there's nothing else out there I want. I can't afford the porsches I like and I like my hatches, so I guess I'm driving a GTI/R my entire life.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

yeah, I got an Alltrack last year and it’s barely up to the task. Just not enough space for all our supplies and our dogs in the back. 2 70 lb dogs.

No regrets though, I’d sooner equip my Alltrack or my gf’s TDI wagon for towing and get a trailer or camper than trade up for an SUV. They’re still the closest I can get to a fun, attractive, efficient car that gives me the utility I need for camping and general adventuring.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yes, this is one of the debates I've had with myself.
My wife and I had the second gen, RAV4 when our son's were babies.
That was the only SUV I could deal with, because it was the most car like. Cool little vehicle.
I've also thought about a Toyota Tacoma (used) as some sort of beat on vehicle, but they're still pricey used.
There's a beach (Island Beach State Park) in southern NJ that allows you to drive vehicles on to fish.
I'd like to do that too.