GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is a simple question of Manual vs Automatic

As I'm firmly in camp manual, I'm obligated to provide a smart ass post.

Tossing health issues aside, it usually comes down to what you want out of driving.
Do you want to make sure you beat the soccer mom in her SUV from stop light to stop light?
Go with the auto.
Are you very concerned about some teenager in his dads turbo Honda Accord beating you in a street race?
Go with the auto.
Are you very concerned about the impressing other GTI owners with your drag strip receipts?
Go with the auto.
Have you been addicted to youtube videos of DSG farts and now you want toss in all the parts so you can annoy your neighbors as well?
Go with the auto.
Are you really just a "I need an appliance to go from point a to point b" kinda person but GTI's always caught your eye?
Go with the auto.
Do you have plans to try and replicate what you saw on the internet, lower the car and go for Stage 8 APR\ECS\DonkeyKong tune and try your hand at starting a "Hey guys what's going on it's your boy S-Naaash5467329" youtube channel.
Go with the auto (or just buy the Golf R Mr\Mrs moneybags)
Do you have your TED talk all planned out to spring on your passengers where you have them stare at your tachometer as you tell them how fast the car shifts?
Go with the auto.

Do you not care about competing with other cars or stats and just enjoy the little nuances of a manual car?
Get the manual.

Keep in mind that I'm the type of person who prefers a manual transmission in NYC traffic so my advice should be completely ignored and probably ridiculed.
And here's mine in return:
184762425_10159844412854131_2802517480852283382_n.jpg

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
In looking for my first GTI I have been holding out for a 6MT, but have noticed the DSGs are trading at $1-3k less than MTs.

Curious if others have had the debate and made the choice to switch based on availability and price? especially in this current market, seems everything it trading at a premium.

The used market is stronger than it's ever been. Dealerships have the edge for the first time, ever. Terrible time to buy a car, house, etc.

I'm sure it's already been said in this thread, but there are 2 main things.

- DSG is faster... period

- Stock clutch is weak, and any tuning / power additions means upgrading

This is what lead me to the DSG even though I've been a manual purest my entire life. I don't regret my decision one bit. I will say that driving a manual is more satisfying, but VWs twin clutch system is very, very good. At the end of the day, only you can make the decision. If a couple thousand $$$ is really a deal breaker for you, you might not want to be looking at buying a car right now.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
View attachment 215527

Why did the guy on the left keep his wide stance when the other guy parked next to him.
Now their feet are touching.
I couldn't read the text in the meme...
Couldn't get over the two guys playing footsie at the urinal.

The more I look at it, it seems like the guy on the left aiming right for the corner of the urinal. That's like a guaranteed splashback.
So now he splashing piss all over himself AND he's toe kissing the guy next to him.

What the hell man? Where did you find this?
I get the overall point of the meme as its a classic situation but these details are distracting.

It's fairly well accepted if you get a sidler while at the pisser...tuck it in a bit....

Wait, now the more I look at it...what's going on with the guy on the left's right arm. Its kinda look likes its bent too high up to be holding his pecker.
Is he holding his phone? So now he's getting piss splash all over his clothes and his phone? Oh my god...is he filming himself pissing?

Seriously...
What the hell is wrong with your automatic transmission drivers?
Is this what you do with your free time not having to shift?
Pissing all over yourself while toe touching urinal neighbors?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The only reasons to buy a GTI or R in manual is because...

1. You're an idiot that chases cones around a parking lot and 2nd gear is perfectly geared for autocross.
2. You want a manual, period, and are willing to deal with the downsides of VW's weak ass clutches.
3. You're into BDSM and like torturing yourself.
4. All of the above.

If I had known I was going to start modding and tracking this car, I would have bought a DSG, especially if I'd had a crystal ball and known all the changes to STH that were coming, but I still enjoy having a manual.

TLDR, GTIfan is into BDSM.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
View attachment 215527

True story.
Happened yesterday.
Came across some guy driving a red early 90's RHD 6th gen Celica in excellent condition
Gave him a thumbs up.
Someone put in a some time and effort to import a JDM...

This is 100% true. Happened in Suffolk County, NY around Islip airport around late afternoon.

So in summary.
Your meme is legit about us manual snobs

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Why did the guy on the left keep his wide stance when the other guy parked next to him.
Now their feet are touching.
I couldn't read the text in the meme...
Couldn't get over the two guys playing footsie at the urinal.

The more I look at it, it seems like the guy on the left aiming right for the corner of the urinal. That's like a guaranteed splashback.
So now he splashing piss all over himself AND he's toe kissing the guy next to him.

What the hell man? Where did you find this?
I get the overall point of the meme as its a classic situation but these details are distracting.

It's fairly well accepted if you get a sidler while at the pisser...tuck it in a bit....

Wait, now the more I look at it...what's going on with the guy on the left's right arm. Its kinda look likes its bent too high up to be holding his pecker.
Is he holding his phone? So now he's getting piss splash all over his clothes and his phone? Oh my god...is he filming himself pissing?

Seriously...
What the hell is wrong with your automatic transmission drivers?
Is this what you do with your free time not having to shift?
Pissing all over yourself while toe touching urinal neighbors?
Stolen like any good meme out of a manual vs. DSG debate in the MK7 FB group. It's a good one for sure. Not sure on these details you bring up, I guess I don't look that close..hahahaha

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
- DSG is faster... period
Barely. The advantage can be evened out with taking 100 pounds out of the car. This past weekend at Gingerman raceway I was playing with another vw guy in the advanced group, he had an is38 dsg mk7, I was in my mt k04 mk6. He came and talked to me after our second session out and was blown away that mine was manual and he couldn't catch me. I wasnt going to be a dick to the guy but he though his auto trans made him automatically a better driver 🙃 I made sure to tell him I was on worn out tires too

IMG_20201225_122120_103.jpg

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Barely. The advantage can be evened out with taking 100 pounds out of the car. This past weekend at Gingerman raceway I was playing with another vw guy in the advanced group, he had an is38 dsg mk7, I was in my mt k04 mk6. He came and talked to me after our second session out and was blown away that mine was manual and he couldn't catch me. I wasnt going to be a dick to the guy but he though his auto trans made him automatically a better driver 🙃 I made sure to tell him I was on worn out tires too

View attachment 215535

You'd have to compare like for like. Can't get lost in the mess of modding, different parts, different fuels, etc etc

Heads up, the two transmissions don't compare. The DSG is just faster. That's been proven many times, so hard to argue. Can you mod a car to make it faster? Sure. Are there better / more aggressive tunes out there, definitely.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Shifting gears makes bitches wet.

And a well timed hand brake turn drops those panties.

Don't DSG's have the little electic hand brake button? Poor DSG guys and gals are never getting laid.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Don't DSG's have the little electic hand brake button? Poor DSG guys and gals are never getting laid.
DSG = celibacy.

I think we figured this out. I think if you want to go .5 of a second faster with your dick in your hand for the rest of your life, get a DSG. If you want to get head, smash ass and get high fives from everyone that's cool, you gotta roll with the 6MT.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
DSG = celibacy.

I think we figured this out. I think if you want to go .5 of a second faster with your dick in your hand for the rest of your life, get a DSG. If you want to get head, smash ass and get high fives from everyone that's cool, you gotta roll with the 6MT.
Quoted for posterity. Amen.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
DSG = celibacy.

Real talk.
Prior daily driver is a unicorn.
A 5spd manual 5th gen Camry.
As soon as ANYONE found out, jaws dropped. People gathered around and they all stared in disbelief.
Can confirm that panties dropped while I drove that car and now I have 2 kids.
I still have the car. I let the wife peek inside whenever I want instant action.

Currently teaching my son how to drive it and due to him having a manual transmission car I've had to have "the talk" with him several times.
Not ready to be a grandfather just yet.

Maybe I should get him a DSG car.
DSG cars are automatic sausage fests.
Just a bunch of dudes talking about exhaust farts and leaky sunroofs.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

My Sportwagen peasant-edition S trim has 1) a DSG and 2) a hand brake.