GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

FirstGTI2021

Car(s)
None yet ! Soon
In looking for my first GTI I have been holding out for a 6MT, but have noticed the DSGs are trading at $1-3k less than MTs.

Curious if others have had the debate and made the choice to switch based on availability and price? especially in this current market, seems everything it trading at a premium.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
1622381573733.gif

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also, once I decide whether to get a DSG or manual, what oil should I use in it?

@FirstGTI2021, it's personal preference. They're both great, and you can't go wrong with either one. Completely up to you.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
@Acadia18 finnin to put this fire out before it starts.

@FirstGTI2021 gone are the days of slush-box automatics vs faster manuals.... the field is more or less leveled.

drive both, figure out what YOU like, then get that one.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
DSGs are objectively better transmissions, but if you truly enjoy driving manual it’ll never replace that experience. That’s why I went 6MT on my Alltrack after owning a DSG GTI. Also bc it was my last chance ever to scoop a brand new manual AWD turbo wagon

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On two identically prepared cars the DSG will win a drag race. The manual is more engaging to drive on a daily basis. If you are going to tune your car just know that you will have to get a better clutch.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You need to be honest with yourself on this question. If you drive in traffic a lot, like I do, the DSG is so much more enjoyable, imho. The one thing I will add though, is that a DSG tune is almost required to make it like it should be.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You need to be honest with yourself on this question. If you drive in traffic a lot, like I do, the DSG is so much more enjoyable, imho. The one thing I will add though, is that a DSG tune is almost required to make it like it should be.

living in Philly, I have this thought often. I chose 6MT for this car and I’m just like man, was that the best choice?

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
If you’re looking for better performing gearbox, faster shifts, ease of driving in traffic, then DSG is the obvious choice. On the other hand, if you like being somewhat engaged while driving and constantly playing with the shifting lever, than manual for sure.
Personally, driving a manual does not bother me and for the most part it’s all muscle memory at this point, I don’t even think about it...If I had to endure heavy stop and go traffic on a daily basis, I’d probably buy an EV for that duty and have some kind of manual toy for the weekend.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
The great thing about the current GTI/R/Alltrack/etc is that you get a choice of transmission, a choice that we are seeing disappear with car makers