GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You'd have to pay taxes on your US investments either way. Plus you'd be paying taxes to Canada first and then get a credit for that on your US taxes:
"In the U.S., your quarterly dividend income is taxable on your U.S. tax return. Your Canadian tax already paid is eligible as a foreign tax credit on filing to help avoid double taxation."
https://www.moneysense.ca/save/taxes/owning-canadian-stocks-as-a-u-s-resident/

While you missed the boom, there is still growth potential there as they expand into the US as more states allow Medicinal and recreational.

Honestly you've probably already missed the Green wave in the US, unless you wait for a state that hasn't legalized to do so and jump in on a local investment. Colorado and CA already have there networks setup, the biggest issue is handling money. Though we're seeing more Credit unions allow Weed money with stricter rules, which is better than no federal money institution would touch you because Pot.

If you want to go that route, you could invest in POT in a round a bout way by investing in the credit unions that are doing business with the Pot companies and handling their finances.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Could also go with those that are traded on both exchanges, there are a few Canadian pot comanies on the NASDAQ.
From above link:
"Of note is that U.S. investors can buy about 171 Canadian stocks that are currently inter-listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the NASDAQ or the NYSE American (AMEX). In case you want to more easily invest in Canada while you’re in the U.S., AJ, here is the complete list. And if you’re looking for U.S. listed exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that invest in Canada, the list is very short, but here it is."

The original Canadian Pot company link also shares which ones are traded in the US as well.

cb1111

Interesting thought and something I legitimately worried about during the Trump administration (less so now, but still a concern):
If you buy shares of a company or their bonds, and their primary business is marijuana production and distribution, could you be prosecuted under federal law? It's still technically illegal to produce and sell under federal law and giving them money could be considered "providing material support to a criminal enterprise". If the money crossed state lines, let's say I live in Delaware and pick a company in Colorado, that puts me squarely into federal jurisdiction.
Not so LOL......

And if you have a clearance then it is a hard no.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
that's what I was thinking. Yeah use of it can bite you in the ass. For many it doesn't matter but it certainly can and the political climate can flip.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Not so LOL......

And if you have a clearance then it is a hard no.
Yeah, these are precisely the type of concerns I have. Plus filling taxes means you're creating a legal record of your illegal activity and reporting it to the government. In theory, at any time, an AG could just decide "we're going to pursue this now" and all these investors would be in deep shit.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've heard now is the time to get in on the medicinal cocaine boom.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I cashed in on the Canadian weed boom a few years back, I doubled my money in less than three months and bailed.