GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That's my life. We learn from every disaster. While underground lines reduce outages in your area, they don't resolve the issue of exploding transformers and downed transmission lines (to your subdivision). Here's what I would do (did) - not directed at you specifically.

Determine the threats, risks and my own needs. I spoke earlier about my need for constant power due to my dad's illness - does your family have any special needs?
What are the expected threats in your region? Are they seasonal? (need for heat in winter trumps need for AC in summer for most people) (damn, did I use the word "trumps"? - sorry)
What unexpected events could affect your house? For example, this storm showed us how adding cheap insulation to all water pipes can save a home and all the things in it.
How long are the expected events going to last? How long can you exist right now without those services?
And so forth. Prioritize your threats and see what easy fixes are available.

Specifically for things like power, food and water.

I love my Generac. I'll never have a house without a generator. You need to decide if you want the generator to run only some things or everything in the house. My generator can run everything except really constant high draw things - oven, geothermal supplemental heat etc. (the supplemental heat will add heat to get the house to a cozy mid 70's regardless of outside temps. It is expensive and has never gone on while we've been here. If the regular geo can only get me up to the low 60's because it is so cold outside then I'll put on a sweater, but the geo will keep things from freezing or people dying from hypothermia in the house. The generac takes a few seconds to kick in, but aside from that, you'll never know you're running on a generator.

Water - everybody needs at least three cases of water per person kept somewhere in the house (and rotated as necessary), or a watercooler with at least two 5 gallon bottles per person. Even if you are on city water, you'll want to plan for outages and you need to flush toilets so get a proper plug for your bathtub or cover the drain liberally with duct tape and fill up your bathtub with water when severe weather is expected. If you have more than one bathtub, then fill one and put a plastic sheet over it - that's the one you use for water for cooking and so forth. The other tub is used for flushing toilets, washing etc. (personal hygiene is important to keep from getting sick) scoop out a pot of water, heat it and wash from there.

Food - stock up on non-perishables and stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerator or cooked - tuna, mayo (lots of mayo), sardines, crackers, cookies, cereal, canned soups (you can eat them cold too), chef boyardee type stuff - anything that keeps and you could eat cold. Figure about two weeks worth for everyone in the house. Use the perishables first of course and make sure that you keep stuff for picky eaters.

Meds - keep a month's supply for everybody. Make sure tat you have a copy of every prescription. Even if you don't regularly take vitamin supplements, get some for every member of the family and start taking them if the lights go out as your diet during a disaster may not be balanced. Eat plenty of fiber - I can tell you a story about Katrina, MRE's and the convention center one of these days.

Will you get sick and tired of eating tuna, crackers and beef jerky? Probably, but your family will survive without most disasters of this type without issues - and you can go and get Taco Bell when it is all over.

Don't forget to do the same for your pets. Spend a week and measure the amount of water you give your pets and factor that in - you'll be surprised at the amount of water they drink. Even if they normally eat wet food, get a bag of dry food and keep it as a backup. If they take meds, then keep a supply of that too. The last thing you need in a disaster is to worry about getting meds for somebody - human or pet.

Include non electric toys, games, puzzles and other distractions for kids (and pets). Books for adults.

Make a go-kit for everyone in your family. www.ready.gov has some good information about what you might need.

Should I go on? Your personal planning should be that you'll be on your own for about a week to ten days,

Oh, and to Golfy - the same applies to Europe and the UK. The threats may be different depending on location but the threats are there.

Over here we don't have power, gas, water "outages" for days like you do. ..There are rare cases when a water main has bust & the water company supplies all the affected houses with loads of free bottled water & puts water bowsers in the streets for people to take this water for washing up, toilets etc...

We have much better infrastructure, & harsh penalties imposed on the utilities companies if people are without their utilities for days...so that encourages them to fix any problems fast, & to make certain the infrastructure is up to the job...

The only other places that have problems are those that are in areas subject to flooding from swollen rivers....& that's a case of move out....& even then the main power/gas/water grids are usually unaffected in that area..& if they are its just a day or so.

Personal "prepping" isn't a much of a thing over here as the infrastructure has been pretty good & is getting better all the time, & our shops/distribution is quite good. In the past 30yrs in a couple of really bad winters all the main roads were blocked for a couple of days, but the stores were ok & everybody up here keeps a good stock & doesn't panic buy quite so much...so maybe there is a bit of "prepping" built into what I do..but I just think of it as common sense...

I used to work for the local elec company & when they were designing more slack/better tensioning systems into the big 132KV to 400KV power lines as the main enemy was freezing rain on the lines which brings them down with the added weight...but we run at very high voltages which causes more heat in the cables...

One thing that I was shocked by is the amount of overhead electric wires in house areas in the USA......unheard of in the UK, all our stuff is underground....unless you have a remote farmhouse....& even then the 11KV pole (with transformer) will be a distance from your home & the cable will go down into the ground from the pole & be in the ground to get to your house.....

Here is the Wiki page on the main outages (scroll down) in the whole UK National Grid ......

National Grid (Great Britain) - Wikipedia

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Over here we don't have power, gas, water "outages" for days like you do. ..There are rare cases when a water main has bust & the water company supplies all the affected houses with loads of free bottled water & puts water bowsers in the streets for people to take this water for washing up, toilets etc...
The water companies should absolutely do this!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The water companies should absolutely do this!

Here's a quote from the UK Government water regulator (OFWAT)......

Replacement water supply

If the piped supply of water fails, the companies must provide at least 10 litres of water per person per day to affected consumers within the first 24 hours, and maintain this until the piped supply is restored. They may do this by providing bottled water or through bowsers or stand pipes.

Compensation

In some circumstances, customers are entitled to compensation under the guaranteed standards scheme. Some water companies may have more generous voluntary schemes."

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

1613853416602.jpeg

Sick burn though, especially coming from a welch. 🙄

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Show me a picture of me standing next to a Corvette. You can't because it doesn't exist. The only picture of me standing beside a car was beside my Veloster Turbo.

Either you saw the picture or you're thinking it was a Vette because of what others said. And it shows what I've said before. People will say something about someone and it eventually becomes regarded as true because it gets repeated.

So are all people in New Hampshire racist like you claim people either currently living in or having lived in Ohio are racist?

so you've never stood next to a corvette, got it.

NH is one of the whitest states per capita. sounds pretty racist i guess.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Like the people that keep referring to covid 19 as the "Kung flu".
That's just funny. Even Dave Chappelle said it was hilarious.