GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$75,000 and a (car) dream...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's a 10 second car right there!!!!!

Man, the 7A-FE in that thing put out like 120hp. It struggled to hit 60mph by the end of an on ramp. Looked dope as hell though. And man, at 18, I had plans for that car.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Man, the 7A-FE in that thing put out like 120hp. It struggled to hit 60mph by the end of an on ramp. Looked dope as hell though. And man, at 18, I had plans for that car.

Just need a few extra NOS bottles my man.

When I was 19 I was driving a 69 Camaro in bare gray primer with a built 350 the guy I bought it from had done, illegal as heck in CA and just not caring and had plans, big plans for it.

16 years later when I sold it I had put a clutch in it, SS rear springs, an Edelbrock carb and an Earl Schieb $399 paint job. No where near the "plan". Ah, being young and full of dreams.......and knowing absolutly nothing. lol

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Vtec mini
R33 gtr
Ls swapped mazda b2600 (pre Ranger body style)
Evo 2 (still partial to that look even though future iterations had better tech)

Already mentioned:
911: it would be a 964
Ls miata
Golf r with 35k in mods : I would just go hpa / hgp r36 golf r, probably used for 75k

Sure there's a lot more I've forgotten

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I could see myself in an AMG C63 S Wagon. Maybe even a CTS-V one.
Go drive a regular CTS-V, I was all set to buy a manual CTS-V wagon but it drives like a big, heavy, lazy thing, perhaps not that surprising. The interior is just awful too, not ATS-V awful, but still wildly worse than any non GM car, they really have a skill at crappy interiors.

On my old commute, there was a guy with a great looking silver CTS-V wagon that would dust my poor Mazda 3 hatch anytime he saw me, laughing as he slid by. That did make me regret not buying my own, at least slightly.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Go drive a regular CTS-V, I was all set to buy a manual CTS-V wagon but it drives like a big, heavy, lazy thing, perhaps not that surprising. The interior is just awful too, not ATS-V awful, but still wildly worse than any non GM car, they really have a skill at crappy interiors.

On my old commute, there was a guy with a great looking silver CTS-V wagon that would dust my poor Mazda 3 hatch anytime he saw me, laughing as he slid by. That did make me regret not buying my own, at least slightly.
It’s a maybe.. something about that caddy ride that makes me smile.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I don't get the RS6 Avant hype. I think they're hideous, the same way I (sorry guys) feel about the Alltrack/GSW's. I just can't see anything flattering about a wagon.

As far as the original question, it's a hard call. If it was $75k to buy a new daily, a loaded RS3, no questions. If I didn't have to care about practicality, probably a C8 Corvette.
No offense taken, but please recognize that Wagons are the preferred car in nearly every country in the world besides America. There’s a reason for it. They drive like sedans/hatchbacks but give you SUV utility. And they look better than their sedan/hatchback equivalencies. The last part is obviously subjective, especially since you feel the opposite.

but I consider wagons the quintessential enthusiast’s car. Almost for the exact reason I’m responding to you: most people, both car-people and non car-people, think wagons are ugly. And that’s fine - I don’t expect or need anyone else to understand why my car offers more value than theirs. It just does as a matter of fact, and that fact makes me love it more than any other type of car. Did I mention they offer more value than any other type of car??????

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I'd take the RS5 Sportback (or RS7 Sportback if that was an option) over the Avant any day of the week.

I will say though, once you get up to the 6-series cars, that interior is fucking incredible.

View attachment 202168

My god, I absolutely love that.

I agree on the RS5. I saw one for the first time walking my dog last night and immediately thought “time to go back to the 75K car dream thread and change my choice from S4 to RS5 5-door sport back.” And then I returned to your uncalled for, abject disrespect for the most sacred form factor :)

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
No offense taken, but please recognize that Wagons are the preferred car in nearly every country in the world besides America. There’s a reason for it. They drive like sedans/hatchbacks but give you SUV utility. And they look better than their sedan/hatchback equivalencies. The last part is obviously subjective, especially since you feel the opposite.

but I consider wagons the quintessential enthusiast’s car. Almost for the exact reason I’m responding to you: most people, both car-people and non car-people, think wagons are ugly. And that’s fine - I don’t expect or need anyone else to understand why my car offers more value than theirs. It just does as a matter of fact, and that fact makes me love it more than any other type of car. Did I mention they offer more value than any other type of car??????

And that's the best thing about opinions. I can think wagon's look like squat ugly little fuckers, and you can think they're the bees knees. And that's perfectly fine. As long as you love your car, and I love my car, that's all that matters. Our different opinions don't impact each other at all :)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
And talk about ugly. :)

seriously. When I say value, I mean the combined package. Does an Alltrack or GSW 4Motion perform like a GTI or R? Hell no!!! Are they as good looking form the factory?? Maybe the Alltrack is, but the GSW definitely isn’t. But, considering half the guys who get GTIs and R’s upgrade their suspensions, brakes, and even turbos (GTI IS20>IS38, R IS38>Hybrid/BT), you could literally do the same mods on a wagon Golf and end up with a car that performs nearly the same and has more utility, while ultimately costing you less money.

THAT is value. When I’m done with my Alltrack I’ll have a reliable OEM+ AWD wagon that is every bit as sporty as it is utilitarian, and the best part is it’s uniquely mine. I’ll have a custom North American R-Track :)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
And that's the best thing about opinions. I can think wagon's look like squat ugly little fuckers, and you can think they're the bees knees. And that's perfectly fine. As long as you love your car, and I love my car, that's all that matters. Our different opinions don't impact each other at all :)
Yep. One of my favorite moments ever in the wagon debate was when my mom was looking at a replacement for her aging CC a few years back. They wanted a small crossover, something with a bit more height and utility. I said she should check out the Alltrack. She responded “I don’t wanna look like an old lady in a station wagon.” And I was like mom.... I’m 25, and I’d KILL for one of those station wagons!!!!