GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2007 GTI Doors won't lock with fob

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Having an issue with my 07 GTI. When I get out of the car and lock it I can hear the faint noise of locking, but it doesn't actually lock and the lights don't go on indicating so. All the key does is engage the Alarm System, so I can still open the door but the alarm goes off.

The only way I can lock my doors right now is by pressing the lock inside and then manually locking the driver's door with the key. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I checked the fuse box and from what I could find online every fuse was fine.

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Driver's door lock actuator has bit the dust. The actuators listed for $20 dollars, on Ebay, actually work very well.
I doubt it would be an actuator issue if the inside button works to lock the door, no? Seems like an issue between the fob and door control.

doc280

Ready to race!
I had the same symptoms when I purchased mine and it was a new actuator that solved the issue. I actually had another failure two years later, the actuator would not read when the door was open, which caused a whole host of different problems. These actuators are a little more complex than most people think and can cause all kinds of issues when they fail.

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I had the same symptoms when I purchased mine and it was a new actuator that solved the issue. I actually had another failure two years later, the actuator would not read when the door was open, which caused a whole host of different problems. These actuators are a little more complex than most people think and can cause all kinds of issues when they fail.
The key doesn't lock any of the doors, so would it be all 4 actuators?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I've had similar issues with mine that I've been able to solve by opening, then closing every door (maybe the hood too) and the hatch. You could also try:
  • Unlocking the car with the fob, then locking it again or vice versa. I've had to do this occasionally to get the passenger side door to unlock with the fob.
  • Clear all faults. This fixed an issue where the car would lock/beep to activate the alarm, but I could still open the driver side door.
  • Check the fob battery. When you press buttons on the fob a small red light should illuminate on the fob itself. As the battery dies certain buttons don't respond as well.

Last edited:

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I've had similar issues with mine that I've been able to solve by opening, then closing every door (maybe the hood too) and the hatch. You could also try:
  • Unlocking the car with the fob, then locking it again or vice versa. I've had to do this occasionally to get the passenger side door to unlock with the fob.
  • Clear all faults. This fixed an issue where the car would lock/beep to activate the alarm, but I could still open the driver side door.
  • Check the fob battery. When you press buttons on the fob a small red light should illuminate on the fob itself. As the battery dies certain buttons don't respond as well.
I tried the first one with no luck. My OBDEleven comes tomorrow so I will try that and will replace battery, thank you!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
A sign of a dying battery on the fob is that the red light won't illuminate with a button press, but the buttons themselves may still work. As the battery continues to die the buttons will work more intermittently or eventually stop working altogether.

doc280

Ready to race!
When I get out of the car and lock it I can hear the faint noise of locking, but it doesn't actually lock and the lights don't go on indicating so. All the key does is engage the Alarm System, so I can still open the door but the alarm goes off.
I read this and remain in the belief it is a weak drivers door actuator. This is exactly what mine was doing when I bought it. A $20 actuator and the humble mechanic has a DIY on YouTube, I am fairly sure will fix it.

I believe I did the central locking feature with Carista, sorry, I was confusing cars, My Audi's central locking is selected in the MMI.

apeirologue

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I read this and remain in the belief it is a weak drivers door actuator. This is exactly what mine was doing when I bought it. A $20 actuator and the humble mechanic has a DIY on YouTube, I am fairly sure will fix it.

I believe I did the central locking feature with Carista, sorry, I was confusing cars, My Audi's central locking is selected in the MMI.
I'm beginning to think it might be as well, I will check out the HM guide on youtube, thank you for that recommendation.

What's bizarre now is that my driver's side locks with the key manually, and the two right-side doors lock with the key fob, but the rear left won't lock unless I do it manually through the side of the door by taking the rubber grommet off. I got these codes today from my OBDEleven, I wonder if these are common codes for actuator fails or if my wiring inside the door has gone bad.

Also I checked my battery and cleared all faults, no luck.
20210106_183215.jpg
20210106_183207.jpg

doc280

Ready to race!
I would start with the drivers door lock actuator, and then move to the rear door if the problem persist. These actuators , even OEM, have been notorious for failure.