GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nerd Needed :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just found out about VoLTE. What is it, that cell phones are going to be using the data networks for phone calls? On Wikipedia it mentions almost all new cell phones support it. I'm on AT&T via a bundler and I know they support it, and I'm interested in the iPhone SE 2nd Gen, and it supports it.

The only thing left is I might as well make sure a phone supports AT&T's and possibly T-mobile's 5G networks. I know that's another issue. The faster 5G seems to be a nice money maker for the data providers, because you'll tend to use data at a faster rate, causing you to need to buy not only more data, but more unthrottled data at the faster speeds.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
VoLTE is voice over 4G LTE. Right now 5G is still very spotty coverage. If you make a phone call and you're connected to a 5G tower the phone call will drop back to 4G which doesn't matter anyway.. Since your username suggests that you're over 55 I recommend T-Mobile's over 55 Magenta plan. That's what I just switched to and it's unlimited everything for $35 per month if you choose autopay. T-Mobile also has the most 5G coverage.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
VoLTE is voice over 4G LTE. Right now 5G is still very spotty coverage. If you make a phone call and you're connected to a 5G tower the phone call will drop back to 4G which doesn't matter anyway.. Since your username suggests that you're over 55 I recommend T-Mobile's over 55 Magenta plan. That's what I just switched to and it's unlimited everything for $35 per month if you choose autopay. T-Mobile also has the most 5G coverage.

I currently have Consumer Cellular, they use AT&T or T-mobile (your choice, I picked AT&T for the better coverage). I pay a total of $54 for two lines with unlimited talk/text, 3GB data shared data (no unlimited), no autopay, no AARP discount.

The unlimited 3G over 3GB concerns me, I remember how slow it was back in the day.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't think it's 3 gigabytes on the 3G network. I think it's 3 gigabytes on a 4G network. But 3 gigabytes of data shared with 2 lines isn't very much. With the T-MO plan I mentioned it's unlimited data on both lines.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If you're concerned about going over 3gb, yes, 3G will be painfully slow when you surpass your limit.

If you do need more data, you might consider the T-Mobile "geezer plan" (my name not theirs). $27.50/line for 2 lines, account holder must be 55+, 2nd line doesn't matter. Unlimited talk/data/text. Also more plans that go up slightly in cost with more features you probably don't need (like high speed data in Canada/Mexico).

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you're concerned about going over 3gb, yes, 3G will be painfully slow when you surpass your limit.

If you do need more data, you might consider the T-Mobile "geezer plan" (my name not theirs). $27.50/line for 2 lines, account holder must be 55+, 2nd line doesn't matter. Unlimited talk/data/text. Also more plans that go up slightly in cost with more features you probably don't need (like high speed data in Canada/Mexico).

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans

That's the plan I told him about.
But the $27.50 plan doesn't even include 4G data. For just $7.50 more he can get 4G and 5G if his phone is capable.
The plan doesn't mention 5G but it's an omission on T-MO 's part. I checked with them before I switched because I have a 5G phone.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Jim has this one covered.

I will add that the iPhone se 2nd gen doesn't support 5G. If you want 5G and want a smaller iPhone, go with the iPhone 12 mini.

If you have at least an iPhone 8, you can trade in and get an iPhone mini for free. Older iPhones will get you a decent trade in value.

If you go with plus up plan which is $20 more so $90, you get free Netflix and 20gb hotspot per device.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
That's the plan I told him about.
But the $27.50 plan doesn't even include 4G data. For just $7.50 more he can get 4G and 5G if his phone is capable.

I don't think this is correct - there's nothing in the descriptions of each plan that makes me think that there's no LTE data on the $27.50 plan...

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 9.41.52 PM.png

The wording is the same about data.. it only changes when you get to the additional features listed below (some of which I omitted). The $27.50 plan does say that *tethering* is only 3G - that I understand and makes sense. Am I missing something here? One "gotcha" is that the 2 higher-cost plans both have taxes & fees baked in; that's your final price. Not so for the $27.50 plan. Kinda sneaky, especially when they don't disclose what all those additional little line items add up to.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't think this is correct - there's nothing in the descriptions of each plan that makes me think that there's no LTE data on the $27.50 plan...

View attachment 191774

The wording is the same about data.. it only changes when you get to the additional features listed below (some of which I omitted). The $27.50 plan does say that *tethering* is only 3G - that I understand and makes sense. Am I missing something here? One "gotcha" is that the 2 higher-cost plans both have taxes & fees baked in; that's your final price. Not so for the $27.50 plan. Kinda sneaky, especially when they don't disclose what all those additional little line items add up to.

Your screenshot cut off the other lines. But you're right the fees part is tricky. The $27.50 plan is kind of useless.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

View attachment 191774

Essentials
Taxes and fees not included. Free international data and text and 25¢/ min callingnot included (220 countries). Can't use in Mexico and Canada for free like you can with magenta plans. No Netflix free (on plus up plan). Some promos only apply for magenta plans

Does the $35 plan include unlimited 4GLTE data with no throttling after a certain amount?

No throttling. Just prioritization after 50gb meaning if you've used 50gb (per line) in a billing cycle AND there's congestion on the tower you're connected to, others may be given priority. But if no congestion, you aren't automatically throttled.