GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunglasses for Driving

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
No problem on my GFs 510, or my 810.
Totally blacks out the screen when tilted 90 degrees. Not a common problem, but also not an issue with an Apple Watch or iPhone. Curious why Garmin and Wahoo seem to use a different setup. Although the digital displays in my car are also the same, totally invisible when the glasses are 90 degrees to them.

I think my biggest issue with using polarized lenses while driving is that they bring out the glue pattern in every piece of car glass, tinted windows or not. Gets annoying seeing all the blobs in everyone's windows.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've been wanting to try a pair of Smith Chroma Pop Polarized. I hear those are amazing.
I have a few of the Chroma Pop, aside from the screen issues with my computer, I really like them. Although to be fair, I don't know that I could pick out the Chroma Pop from the regular ones. Smith has good optics all around, even the clear lens works great with minimal distortions.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Totally blacks out the screen when tilted 90 degrees. Not a common problem, but also not an issue with an Apple Watch or iPhone. Curious why Garmin and Wahoo seem to use a different setup. Although the digital displays in my car are also the same, totally invisible when the glasses are 90 degrees to them.

I think my biggest issue with using polarized lenses while driving is that they bring out the glue pattern in every piece of car glass, tinted windows or not. Gets annoying seeing all the blobs in everyone's windows.

Yea can't see it at 90 degrees on the 510 or 810 either. But I never have a problem when I look down at the "right" angle? Garmin and Wahoo probably use cheaper displays.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yea can't see it at 90 degrees on the 510 or 810 either. But I never have a problem when I look down at the "right" angle? Garmin and Wahoo probably use cheaper displays.
Yeah, it's a minor issue, but my other lenses don't have it and I don't see any real advantage to polarized in terms of glare or optics, so I just rarely grab them. And they cost more so easy to just avoid them as I only see added costs and weird issues with displays.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Ray-Ban RB3595 Andrea Square Sunglasses

I have Ray-Ban New Wayfarers, Aviators, Serengeti Aviators (older made in Japan and very nice), a couple pairs of Tifosi Fototecs (similar to polarized - for cycling), and a bunch of less expensive and dollar store sunglasses. Now, wasn't crazy about the Ray-Ban Andreas being Made in China, however, these have a blue tint lens and I've noticed they have provided really sharp clarity for driving. To be fair, it may not be these specific sunglasses, but the Ray-Ban blue tint, in general... as they are my only blue tinted RBs. Oh, and I picked them up on Woot (now owned by Amazon) for only $64.

Last edited:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
American Optical Original Pilot, polarized.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Nice prices, hadn't realized how close they were to Randolph at nearly half the cost.

I have had a couple of pairs and love them. Just wish they sold them with Rx lenses, though it doesn't look like Randolph does that either.

My next set of "sporty" glasses will be Smith Rx Chromapops. I love the chromapop goggles I've got, so I figure may as well extend that to other things I enjoy...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I like my various Smith optics, but sure do prefer glass for overall optical quality, but of course am not going near glass lenses for cycling.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I have about 5 pairs of Revo polarized sunglasses and a pair of titanium Maui Jim's. I've been a fan of Revo and MJs for 25+ years. Great lenses and super comfortable.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
I have about 5 pairs of Revo polarized sunglasses and a pair of titanium Maui Jim's. I've been a fan of Revo and MJs for 25+ years. Great lenses and super comfortable.

Right now I am rocking some basic $20 gas station sunglasses.

Looking at maybe getting these but trying to justify the price;

https://www.gatorz.com/collections/delta/products/delta-non-polarized?variant=33405703848024

I mean, at that price I'm thinking just going with these as the cool factor justifies the price lol plus I can use them at the range.

https://www.gatorz.com/collections/...-magnum-with-boost-kit?variant=32218904166488

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I typically rock a pair of Saraghina Eyewear “Michelangelo”s that I picked up in Italy. Made in Rimini, Italy where my girlfriend’s family is from. I love the quality of them, very comparable to my Raybans.
I do non-polarized while driving, my old Raybans are polarized and the rainbow effect from tinted windows can be somewhat distracting in the city.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Hmmm...Sunglasses everyone else is wearing...I don’t wear sunglasses but I use Angel Soft TP if that contributes at all.