GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What was your first car?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
1991 Mazda RX-7 NA, Brave Blue, auto swapped into 5sp.

I forgot to add:
- Custom-built 25 shot nitrous system
- Racing Beat catback
- Bonez high-flo cat
- modified butterfly valves (kept them open)
- Walmart dildo shift knob similar to Casey Putsch's Infamous Viper

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Lol. Damn, 25 shot that's like the Miata guys turning the a/c off

It was too bad, actually. I spent all that money on the nitrous system and didn't even finish a bottle. Driving home from work, I passed by a dealership and saw what became my 2001 Bullit Commemorative Mustang - the car that almost killed me in 2006.

It was # 00606 in Dark Highland Green:
  1. Stage 1 cams
  2. Predator tune
  3. 4.10 rear
  4. MAC offroad H-pipe
  5. Steeda SSK
But it also changed my life for the better.

Attachments

• IMG_0496 (1).JPG
    IMG_0496 (1).JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 184

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
It was too bad, actually. I spent all that money on the nitrous system and didn't even finish a bottle. Driving home from work, I passed by a dealership and saw what became my 2001 Bullit Commemorative Mustang - the car that almost killed me in 2006.

It was # 00606 in Dark Highland Green:
  1. Stage 1 cams
  2. Predator tune
  3. 4.10 rear
  4. MAC offroad H-pipe
  5. Steeda SSK
But it also changed my life for the better.

Wow, glad you made it out of there. I liked those a lot when they came out. They looked mean with the spoiler delete and the 10.5 rear replicas. I had an 02 GT for a bit and then an 04 Cobra.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Wow, glad you made it out of there. I liked those a lot when they came out. They looked mean with the spoiler delete and the 10.5 rear replicas. I had an 02 GT for a bit and then an 04 Cobra.

Thank you! I lost 3 weeks of memory (what we figured based on what I last remembered), a whole host of thoracic injuries and a serious subdural hematoma (coma for 12 days) - I even have the aftermath of my crash caught on YouTube.

Speaking of deletes, I had the grill delete kit to mimic McQueen's car. New Edge SN95 Mustangs look SOOOO good without the pony.

Last edited:

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
I was a bit of an unruly and defiant kid. I started working at 13 because I wanted a mk4 supra lmao. My parents split and I needed a car for school, at 15 we started shopping and my dad was going 50/50. Well he was given a 66 Impala SS from his dad and traded that in for a 68 Torino GT that he put side pipes on and bought a turbo kit for. Surely he'll let me go wild right?

After looking at my savings and playing NFS Hot Pursuit I decided on a 91 S13 240sx that I was going to swap an SR20DET into (RB25DET was too expensive then) with a 5spd swap. It was perfect, I planned every single part, step, and cost down to the tax on individual bolts. I would've covered the entire car + swap with just my share and my dad was willing to give me his 3k for mods. Awesome!

Day before I was going to buy it, my dad came with to see it and did a complete 180. No more sports car, I was only gonna have a 4dr automatic family car or I wouldn't live under his roof. He loved Acura so I ended up with a MINT 03 TL with 27k original miles (in 2012) with an extended warranty. I loathed that car haha. The nose dived every time you touched the brakes, had an indecisive automatic trans, the body rolled like a boat and it felt like the most uncool car ever at 16. I drove that thing so hard every single day and would neutral drop the trans like an idiot, but the car never complained. Wrecked it few months later, amazingly not when I was sending it (99% of the time) and just wrote it off. I didn't realize how great that thing was until after I got into college, wish I had some pics of the plasti-dip emblems and wheels 🤣

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I was a bit of an unruly and defiant kid. I started working at 13 because I wanted a mk4 supra lmao. My parents split and I needed a car for school, at 15 we started shopping and my dad was going 50/50. Well he was given a 66 Impala SS from his dad and traded that in for a 68 Torino GT that he put side pipes on and bought a turbo kit for. Surely he'll let me go wild right?

After looking at my savings and playing NFS Hot Pursuit I decided on a 91 S13 240sx that I was going to swap an SR20DET into (RB25DET was too expensive then) with a 5spd swap. It was perfect, I planned every single part, step, and cost down to the tax on individual bolts. I would've covered the entire car + swap with just my share and my dad was willing to give me his 3k for mods. Awesome!

Day before I was going to buy it, my dad came with to see it and did a complete 180. No more sports car, I was only gonna have a 4dr automatic family car or I wouldn't live under his roof. He loved Acura so I ended up with a MINT 03 TL with 27k original miles (in 2012) with an extended warranty. I loathed that car haha. The nose dived every time you touched the brakes, had an indecisive automatic trans, the body rolled like a boat and it felt like the most uncool car ever at 16. I drove that thing so hard every single day and would neutral drop the trans like an idiot, but the car never complained. Wrecked it few months later, amazingly not when I was sending it (99% of the time) and just wrote it off. I didn't realize how great that thing was until after I got into college, wish I had some pics of the plasti-dip emblems and wheels 🤣

Lol, yea good car man all you needed was some slaps in the trunk

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
Lol, yea good car man all you needed was some slaps in the trunk
Probably would've helped keep the nose from diving lmao. Skip to 2:25 and that was the "stiffer" Type-S! Rear would get super sketch.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
my first car was a late "70's or early '80's (can't remember the year) VW Rabbit. Bought and sold before I got my license! Was fun to drive though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thank you! I lost 3 weeks of memory (what we figured based on what I last remembered), a whole host of thoracic injuries and a serious subdural hematoma (coma for 12 days) - I even have the aftermath of my crash caught on YouTube.

Speaking of deletes, I had the grill delete kit to mimic McQueen's car. New Edge SN95 Mustangs look SOOOO good without the pony.

It's amazing that you survived that. Do you have any lingering effects from it?

ToddMS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI SE
Dad let me drive the 76 pea greeen Ford Ranger until I got something of my own. The truck was more of a half ton at that time and was a year older than I was. Then I bought a mid 80s (don’t remember the year - too many brain cells lost in my early years) Chevy Caprice Classic Coupe Landau edition. Car would fit three kegs in the trunk. Had a “tach” that was more of a “how hard are you pushing the gas pedal” dial. Not mine, but looked very similar:
1590814352418.jpeg

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It's amazing that you survived that. Do you have any lingering effects from it?

It amazes as well me every time I see that picture, watch the video randomly or think about it - to this day, I’m still trying to remember those 3 weeks before my crash. My folks and brother told me our family had distinct memories of that period that I really can’t recall.

Other than a not-as-flexible left wrist (broke my left scaphoid - have a titanium rod keeping it together), I believe I am 100% fully recovered.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Hand me down 84 Corolla.

No...not the famous AE86, but the FWD AE82 with the 4A-LC engine with a blistering 70 hp and a 3-speed automatic.

But it was a fun car to toss around... while VW GTI's had a more advanced Torsion beam suspension, I had an archaic rear independent suspension.