GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maryland Area Drivers

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm driving up to Philadelphia using I-95 but I want to avoid driving through Maryland. I just discovered Google maps doesn't show state borderlines. Unless someone knows another utility that does, I'm looking for someone who knows a short/fast route around Maryland.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Their Concealed laws suck...I’d do the same, but you’ll have to swing wide through WVa

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Avoiding MD is going to be hard and not quick. I am curious why you would want to avoid MD? If anything most want to avoid VA because of our speeding laws.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
MD is a really big state to avoid. You can minimize your time in it by driving towards Virginia Beach and taking the Bay Bridge Tunnel, then coming up the Delmarva peninsula. You'll still be in MD for a little bit, but less than an hour; mostly you will be in VA and DE. Stay inland to avoid the beach cops by taking rt13. 113 isn't too bad, but more heavily traveled and policed.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
@The Fed - Howdy homefolk!
I'm driving up to Philadelphia using I-95 but I want to avoid driving through Maryland. I just discovered Google maps doesn't show state borderlines. Unless someone knows another utility that does, I'm looking for someone who knows a short/fast route around Maryland.
First off, Here's your map. https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...7655f6b1!8m2!3d39.0457549!4d-76.6412712?hl=en
I would take I-95 to Richmond VA and I-64 over to Route I-81 North (My favorite Interstate) and hook up with the Penn Tpke at Carlisle PA over to Phili. (I think you'll make better time than by going East). Or not? Have a great drive which ever way you go. Like has been said by @oddspyke : "MD is a really big state to avoid"

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
@The Fed - Howdy homefolk!

First off, Here's your map. https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...7655f6b1!8m2!3d39.0457549!4d-76.6412712?hl=en
I would take I-95 to Richmond VA and I-64 over to Route I-81 North (My favorite Interstate) and hook up with the Penn Tpke at Carlisle PA over to Phili. (I think you'll make better time than by going East). Or not? Have a great drive which ever way you go. Like has been said by @oddspyke : "MD is a really big state to avoid"
I-81 north takes you through MD. You need to get over to I-79 to avoid the state.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Yeah unless you go really wide west you can't avoid it.

I'd go up through Virginia Beach over the Bay Bridge/Tunnel over to the Eastern Shore. Get on Rt 113 in DE then hop on Rt1 once above the beaches and drive up to I-95/495 exit. Fastest way with spending the least amount of time in MD (about 45 miles).

Also use Waze to help keep an eye on police speed traps.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
I-81 is only 12 miles in MD. But, yes, out of the way. US 522 is only 2.37 miles, but even farther out of the way. I used to live in MD, still drive there a lot, and haven't found enforcement to be much different than other states. Just stay out of the left lane on interstates, and travel with the pack, and you'll be fine.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I-95 is the short route through maryland. And you have to deal with northern VA, DC and Baltimore traffic.

If you really want to detour around Maryland, head towards Norkfolk, VA and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and you can avoid Maryland altogether using Delaware instead.

If you don't want to make that detour, and willing to suffer a bit... I usually avoided the I-95N toll after the Susquehanna River, by taking a detour and cross the river via hydroelectric dam, and make my way back to I-95

https://goo.gl/maps/ZqaLEooRJHG6tU8P9

If you want to avoid the MD-DE toll... there is a Wawa when you get off of the last exit in MD, for a break also.
https://goo.gl/maps/UH5tXJ4DenxbYgG58

Last edited:

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
If you really want to detour around Maryland, head towards Norkfolk, VA and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and you can avoid Maryland altogether using Delaware instead.
Please explain how that route avoids MD. You can't get from VA to DE on the eastern route without going through MD.