GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
damn i have been missing out here! i've been really wanting to get into RC cars for a while... i love motor driven ones and how they sound, but the electric brushless ones are also nice.

Cant decide what scale i want to get or where to start though. it can be quite a rabbit hole. and i don't really have anywhere to run them

Nitro is fun, but it's also messy, requires a lot more maintenance, and tuning the engine can be finicky. I'd recommend electric for a first car. If you haven't driven an RC car before, a stock-ish motor will be plenty fast and fun until you get some "seat time."

RTR will get you going quickly and I was surprised at the quality of the $200 RTR "drift car" my kid got for Christmas. However, building from a kit is fun if you like a project. I think you'll better understand how to fix, maintain and upgrade the car if you put it together from a box of parts.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Brushless is the way to go. Traxxas makes some good stuff for more money. I agree 1/10th scale is the best to start. Big enough to work on but not huge.

R7s

Passed Driver's Ed
Difficult time for sure. I've had time to clean out my interior but really haven't driven as much as I have before. I think during these two months I've put 250-400 miles total, probably going to clean around the bay a little

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Nitro is fun, but it's also messy, requires a lot more maintenance, and tuning the engine can be finicky. I'd recommend electric for a first car. If you haven't driven an RC car before, a stock-ish motor will be plenty fast and fun until you get some "seat time."

RTR will get you going quickly and I was surprised at the quality of the $200 RTR "drift car" my kid got for Christmas. However, building from a kit is fun if you like a project. I think you'll better understand how to fix, maintain and upgrade the car if you put it together from a box of parts.

I always go for the kits, even though they end up being quite a bit more expensive than an RTR setup. It's nice to know how things are put together for when you break something or need to do some maintenance.

I got a new radio system a few days ago and the receiver doesn't work... :(

I should be getting some more parts needed to rebuild my on road car, as well as the little 1/18 scale crawler so I can finally do some indoor crawling! Oh yeah, the big crawler is so much more fun on 3S. I can't wait to see what it does with the two speed transmission and brushless.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Got my 1/18 scale crawler! It's definitely quite cheap (everything is plastic) and the electronics aren't great, but for $110 for an RTR with 3 extra lipo batteries, I can't complain. It's a ton of fun to use indoors.

Next to my 1/10 onroad for scale:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
My buddy let me drive his awd mod motor sedan for the first time at a race. I took one practice lap, then on the first full speed lap I smashed it into the wall at the first corner lmao. Immediately had to go in the shop and buy him some new control arms. Vastly different from dirt racing lol

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Picked up my 5yo a scx24 deadbolt to match my crawler. We’ve been doing some walks in the woods behind the house.

Maybe I’ll keep him, jury is still out on keeping the 3yo.

1C2369EB-A2B1-4BF8-BFED-D8632BDEC7D5.jpeg

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It's crazy how many phone calls we're getting from people in Miami. Stay the fuck in Miami. Stop coming to SWFL.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

That's generally not how it works though. For the most part Florida is filled with people from other areas. Ask most people in FL where they were from and it's not going to be FL.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
That's generally not how it works though. For the most part Florida is filled with people from other areas. Ask most people in FL where they were from and it's not going to be FL.

You are correct. We just wish they’d stay there.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
You guys have me looking at rc cars now. Any recommendations for a good beginner kit? I'd like to find something that comes with everything necessary (radio, battery, etc), but I want to build it myself.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
You guys have me looking at rc cars now. Any recommendations for a good beginner kit? I'd like to find something that comes with everything necessary (radio, battery, etc), but I want to build it myself.

I think most of the all inclusive kits or RTR are assembled. I could be wrong tho... What are you looking for? Buggy, truck, monster truck, crawler, pavement car, drifty boi, just all around basher?