GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Punks not dead

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
edit: band I know that still tours I've never seen but are one of my favs Bad Religon. Old school punk with three part harmony! yes please

I saw old enuf to have seen DK's play and Circle Jerks opened for them...band I've seen most often in the last few years is probablly Kronos Quartet (Old Crow is another close contender)....modern classical but they often play one or two classsic rock songs. Their version of House of the Rising Sun is jaw dropping.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
tried multi quote but failed...just wanted to add I feel even older now. I saw one poster older than me (59). More bands I go to now are old...last couple rock were Thievery Corp and Gogol Bordello. Still like most everything but mostly go to Jazz/Classical and listen to Alt Country (Devil makes three/Slim Cessna/.357 Stringband/Dad Horse experiment) Music/Art is real important and I go to shows often and along with the diner is what I'm missing with the world situation.

CSB: just watched the Allins a documentary mostly on GG Allins family:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6571500/

worth watching if you like old punk but read descrition 1st...the opening is kinda brutal. So Mrs Mud comes in when I was watching it and asks "is that Sid V?" I tell here GG Allin and she watches it for a while. Then she asks "what was his band called?"...."well when I saw it it was GG Allin and the Scumfucs"...time goes on and then she asked "did he s**t on stage when you saw him?"....."no"

it was an interesting time.
Gogol Bordello is awesome. I would be listening to that at work and someone would come in, “What the hell are you listening to?!?” ... one minute later they are bobbing their head and already getting into it. 😁

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
This was my pops in 2013 at BB Kings NYC
IMG_0171.JPGIMG_0118.JPG

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Oh wow, I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm 53 and got into punk rock through skateboarding back in 77 or 78 or so. I don't know where to start - The Damned would be my all time favorite. In the early days I was really into the UK punk bands of the time - the Damned obviously, and the Sex Pistols, 999, Clash, Buzzcocks, UK Subs, Stranglers, Generation X (Billy Idol's band before going solo), XTC, Stiff Little fingers....
Some of the US band I was into early on were Iggy Pop, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, the Ramones, The Dead Boys, Devo (not really considered Punk , but still a favorite of mine today).

A few years later the early Hardcore bands - Black Flag, Circle Jerks, DKs, TSOL, Agent Orange.
During the late 80s I was listening to bunch of stuff that I guess would be considered post punk/pre-grunge, stuff like the Replacements, the Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr., the Pixies, the Beat Farmers...

The 90s pop punk stuff I never really got into, I didn't dislike it, it just sounded all the same to me - the soundtrack for the latest 90s teen romcom.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Speaking of Elvis Costello, I do listen to a good amount of the Specials, who Elvis produced their eponymous album.
I Love The Specials

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i have big respect for punk and metal. not particularly into either; more of an underground hip hop guy but props for keeping punk alive because it defines my views pretty well i would say.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Gogol B puts on a GREAT show.....he plays in New England often and after seeing him last year I want to go again.

gotta also give props for those who respect Genres even though they might not be into that style.

Keep your ears and mind open

Mud

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Gogol B puts on a GREAT show.....he plays in New England often and after seeing him last year I want to go again.

gotta also give props for those who respect Genres even though they might not be into that style.

Mud
I haven't seen them in probably a decade. Eugene is a REALLY good guy. Total showman and takes time to meet fans afterwards.

I remember meeting the band in Chicago and they were handing out shots of "Gypsy Water" which was Spyritus (polish everclear) and pickled herring to anyone who wanted. I got a big sweaty hug from him after I kept asking for more herring. Never had an experience like that at any show haha.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I haven't seen them in probably a decade. Eugene is a REALLY good guy. Total showman and takes time to meet fans afterwards.

I remember meeting the band in Chicago and they were handing out shots of "Gypsy Water" which was Spyritus (polish everclear) and pickled herring to anyone who wanted. I got a big sweaty hug from him after I kept asking for more herring. Never had an experience like that at any show haha.

Off topic a bit, but... A fan of Eugene? Have you seen Everything is Illuminated? He is one of the main characters. Also “Wristcutters: A Love Story” features a lot of their music and one of the main characters was actually based off of Eugene.
Both great movies!

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Off topic a bit, but... A fan of Eugene? Have you seen Everything is Illuminated? He is one of the main characters. Also “Wristcutters: A Love Story” features a lot of their music and one of the main characters was actually based off of Eugene.
Both great movies!
Both are some of my favorite movies! I actually just rewatched Everything is Illuminated last week with my girlfriend since she's never seen it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Both are some of my favorite movies! I actually just rewatched Everything is Illuminated last week with my girlfriend since she's never seen it.
Mine and lady Phur’s too!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

Mud
Seen em a couple times, definitely one of the best live shows. I took my dad to a show once in Boston actually (about 10 years ago at the Roxy), such a fun time.