GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Punks not dead

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I'm 36, I still listen to mostly punk rock. Is anyone in the same boat?

The Suicide Machines just released Revolution Spring, their first album in 12 years and it's so good to hear a band from my youth staying true to the cause.

Please tell me I'm not alone.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I’m 40, listen to a bit of everything (except country). Some of my favorites include Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, and Sigur Ros. I dig some punk but didn’t have a ton of exposure. I love Rancid. I’ll definitely give Suicide Machines a listen.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
I'm a 36 year old punk fan too. My tastes are constantly evolving, but I always go back to some good punk rock pretty regularly.

I never really got into Suicide Machines, but I'll check that album out.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I gave up on all rock about 10 years ago and switched to hip-hop/rap. I was just so bored with music and quit enjoying most of what I listened to around that point. I used to listen to stuff like Sum41 and Blink182, and I can still go back to it once in a while for nostalgia, but it's not in my regular playlists.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
46, still listen to plenty of Fugazi, Minor Threat, Birthday Party, Butthole Surfers, Flipper, Misfits, Bad Brains, X and of course the Ramones and Stooges. Don't really listen to the heavier stuff from my youth as much, like Suicidal Tendencies and Fearless Iranians from Hell, but they still enter the Spotify rotation every now and then.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
46, still listen to plenty of Fugazi, Minor Threat, Birthday Party, Butthole Surfers, Flipper, Misfits, Bad Brains, X and of course the Ramones and Stooges. Don't really listen to the heavier stuff from my youth as much, like Suicidal Tendencies and Fearless Iranians from Hell, but they still enter the Spotify rotation every now and then.
I love Fugazi, I rarely meet people who even know who they are. I'll take Fugazi over Minor Threat any day, but maybe that's my age since Minor Threat was a bit earlier. I'm a Bad Religion fan, and it was actually AFI that kicked off most of my interest in punk. For me, punk is like any other genre, there is plenty that I like, and plenty I don't, just because it's "punk" doesn't mean it's good, but punk rock was really the genre that got me more and more interested in music as a whole.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I’m 40, listen to a bit of everything (except country). Some of my favorites include Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, and Sigur Ros. I dig some punk but didn’t have a ton of exposure. I love Rancid. I’ll definitely give Suicide Machines a listen.
Best thing about SM, if you don't like one album, skip to the next. Very evolving sound. Some is punk, some have a ska influence with horns.

Saw Rancid with Dropkick Murphy's a few years ago. I felt that one for a few days. Plus 2 people got randomly stabbed. That was a weird night.
I wouldnt say it's what I mostly listen to, far from it but I do still have some punk songs in the regular rotation.

Pennywise anyone?

Fuck Authority and Alien... Damn Jay, got my heartstrings right there!
I'm a 36 year old punk fan too. My tastes are constantly evolving, but I always go back to some good punk rock pretty regularly.

I never really got into Suicide Machines, but I'll check that album out.
Nothing wrong with diversity. I'll listen to Chopin or Beethoven one second, then Slayer without skipping a beat.
I love Fugazi, I rarely meet people who even know who they are. I'll take Fugazi over Minor Threat any day, but maybe that's my age since Minor Threat was a bit earlier. I'm a Bad Religion fan, and it was actually AFI that kicked off most of my interest in punk. For me, punk is like any other genre, there is plenty that I like, and plenty I don't, just because it's "punk" doesn't mean it's good, but punk rock was really the genre that got me more and more interested in music as a whole.
AFI is actually one of the most high energy shows I've ever been to. Davey is a really nice guy in person too.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Best thing about SM, if you don't like one album, skip to the next. Very evolving sound. Some is punk, some have a ska influence with horns.

Saw Rancid with Dropkick Murphy's a few years ago. I felt that one for a few days. Plus 2 people got randomly stabbed. That was a weird night.

Fuck Authority and Alien... Damn Jay, got my heartstrings right there!

Nothing wrong with diversity. I'll listen to Chopin or Beethoven one second, then Slayer without skipping a beat.

AFI is actually one of the most high energy shows I've ever been to. Davey is a really nice guy in person too.
And, they have evolved, which I think it cool. If bands stay the same they get shit for not being inovative, if they change they get shit for selling out. It's a lose lose for most bands. AFI just kept on down their path, and I think they've done some really cool stuff. I saw AFI at Warped Tour in 2006, and they had a good crowd, with a lot of energy, but then Rise Against played and you'd think AFI was a local garage band.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
I'm 36, I still listen to mostly punk rock. Is anyone in the same boat?

The Suicide Machines just released Revolution Spring, their first album in 12 years and it's so good to hear a band from my youth staying true to the cause.

Please tell me I'm not alone.
I don't listen to punk rock but I respect all types of music and the talent/effort that was put into making it. That being said, if one of my buddies puts some punk rock on I'm not gonna sit there and not jam to it lol... I appreciate the off-topic forum as well, I'm bored as shit during this at home order...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
And, they have evolved, which I think it cool. If bands stay the same they get shit for not being inovative, if they change they get shit for selling out. It's a lose lose for most bands. AFI just kept on down their path, and I think they've done some really cool stuff. I saw AFI at Warped Tour in 2006, and they had a good crowd, with a lot of energy, but then Rise Against played and you'd think AFI was a local garage band.
True story the singer from rise against went to my high school and was friends with my sister back in the day when he was in an awesome band called the killing tree.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I saw em play at the fireside bowl back in 2003 with 100 demons. Great times, I was way more into the hardcore scene than punk.
Dude, Fireside Bowl brings back so many memories. Chicago used to have such a great hardcore scene. I got my first broken nose there haha.