GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any cyclist on here

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe next year I'll splurge to a carbon fiber framed bike.

Probably a cyclocross bike, so, the Trek Boone 5 disc looks like a good choice.. which then I can tailor it later for road needs:
50t Rival 1 chain ring
maybe a 10-42t cassette (XG-1150)
Long case Rival 1 RD.

Save the stock wheelset for non-paved road duties.

Road: Custom wheelset (based on Stan's rims and always wanted a Chris king rear hub noise, but they cost so much, so maybe a White Industries XMR) or Shimano or Mavic tubeless road wheelset

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Maybe next year I'll splurge to a carbon fiber framed bike.

Probably a cyclocross bike, so, the Trek Boone 5 disc looks like a good choice.. which then I can tailor it later for road needs:
50t Rival 1 chain ring
maybe a 10-42t cassette (XG-1150)
Long case Rival 1 RD.

Save the stock wheelset for non-paved road duties.

Road: Custom wheelset (based on Stan's rims and always wanted a Chris king rear hub noise, but they cost so much, so maybe a White Industries XMR) or Shimano or Mavic tubeless road wheelset

Can't go wrong with either of those hubs but if you want the Chris King, get the Chris King...
But I can see how it would be hard to justify the cost since it is not even your main wheelset.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Still working on my endurance, but this has been a great filler for my missing of motocross.

MissedShifting

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty serious and mostly lifelong cyclist here. I do road and MTB but 95% is road riding. I used to race a lot as an amateur also. I still do about 150-200 miles a week much of the year which isn't bad for living in a mid-Atlantic suburb where the riding is in non-stop traffic.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Was into mtb in high school, but hadn’t really done any riding until now. Just ordered a DB Sync’r this morning, and cannot wait to get back into it!

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
Bouncing this back up, but i ride local roads in my area (Northern VA - Reston/Herndon/Sterling/Ashburn area). Part of a local team, but i'm one of the few roadies. I have my commuter and MTB, but i don't ride them nearly as much. I used to compete up to cat3 in local/regional races, but have since stopped since the birth of my daughter.

Rides: 2011 Ridley Noah w/Mixed SRAM 10-spd Group, 2012 Trek Ion CX Pro (old cx bike turned commuter bike), 2012 Trek Superfly AL w/old 3x9 hardware

I may look for a roof rack for my new-to-me mk7.5 r, but i'm not sure yet as i rarely haul the bike places anymore. I won't be getting a hitch rack as i've had in the past.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Bouncing this back up, but i ride local roads in my area (Northern VA - Reston/Herndon/Sterling/Ashburn area). Part of a local team, but i'm one of the few roadies. I have my commuter and MTB, but i don't ride them nearly as much. I used to compete up to cat3 in local/regional races, but have since stopped since the birth of my daughter.

Rides: 2011 Ridley Noah w/Mixed SRAM 10-spd Group, 2012 Trek Ion CX Pro (old cx bike turned commuter bike), 2012 Trek Superfly AL w/old 3x9 hardware

I may look for a roof rack for my new-to-me mk7.5 r, but i'm not sure yet as i rarely haul the bike places anymore. I won't be getting a hitch rack as i've had in the past.

Just curious, why would you want a roof rack? Especially one that requires clips to bare paint and through the door seals? I had a direct mount on my M Coupe, but that's a whole other game. Hitch only for me, and that's without discussing a little problem with hydraulic fluid and the roof of previously mentioned M Coupe.

I ride both road and mountain, got a single speed Schwinn Madison, WI freewheel, not fixed, my knees are too jacked from 30 years of soccer. Also have a 12 year old ti road bike with Campy. For mountain, been on a 29er single speed for 11 years, but will likely add an Evil, ibis or Alchemy in the next few months.

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
Just curious, why would you want a roof rack? Especially one that requires clips to bare paint and through the door seals?

I'm still debating at the moment, but install is much simpler for a roof rack. I'll check the hitch mount applications, but any cutting of the diffuser/valence would rule one out for me. I did that on my wife's GSW and i won't be doing that on the R; i think it looks awful. My other concern would be for the rear parking sensor effectively being unusable if i left my oneUp rack on the hitch.

i actually had both types of applications on my mk6 gti, but i just prefer the use of the roof rack. When i uninstalled the roof rack on the mk6 after about 7 years of use i noticed no fading, no chipping, and if i didn't mention it to the buyer he wouldn't have known i had a roof rack on the car for so many years. that makes me feel a bit better about the longevity of having a roof rack installed. if i did more MTB or CX where it would get muddy/dirty i definitely would use a hitch, but with road it doesn't get the roof too dirty; the tray from the bike carrier usually catches any debris from the bike, but if not i clean the car pretty frequently.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm still debating at the moment, but install is much simpler for a roof rack. I'll check the hitch mount applications, but any cutting of the diffuser/valence would rule one out for me. I did that on my wife's GSW and i won't be doing that on the R; i think it looks awful. My other concern would be for the rear parking sensor effectively being unusable if i left my oneUp rack on the hitch.

i actually had both types of applications on my mk6 gti, but i just prefer the use of the roof rack. When i uninstalled the roof rack on the mk6 after about 7 years of use i noticed no fading, no chipping, and if i didn't mention it to the buyer he wouldn't have known i had a roof rack on the car for so many years. that makes me feel a bit better about the longevity of having a roof rack installed. if i did more MTB or CX where it would get muddy/dirty i definitely would use a hitch, but with road it doesn't get the roof too dirty; the tray from the bike carrier usually catches any debris from the bike, but if not i clean the car pretty frequently.

I suppose I should have looked at your avatar. Missed the R part. Yeah, on a GTI, the Curt is four bolts and a few minutes to install or remove, I've done it twice now. Looks like you'd have to deal with the Torklift and bumper removal, so yeah, probably easier to go roof rack at that point. Part of my dislike is just the noise and mileage impact, my M Coupe had a 13g tank and wasn't that efficient with a bare roof and got around 18 mpg on the highway with two bikes on the roof, making long trips exceedingly long and stopping at every gas station you saw was pretty much a necessity.

Yeah, for sure you'd lose the functionality of the rear parking sensors, but I do find that with my 1UP, the rear camera gets a clear view through the main triangle, even with bottles in the cages. Of course I ride a 58.5cm frame, probably a bit compromised if you ride a significantly smaller frame or had a really strong top tube drop like modern mountain bikes.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Made my day seeing this post! I've been riding road for the past 10 years. Criterium racing for 5 years, but I have since retired from competitive racing due to a 40mph crash/concussion last year. Still riding a "casual pace" of 22mph avg training rides to keep fitness up.

My main steed is a 2015 Felt AR. DA 9100 groupset, 3T cockpit, dual sided stages power meter, EE lightweight brakes, Fizik Ares TT saddle, alto velo 60mm wheels, Chris King hubs and God knows what else. 15.4lbs with pedals.

SmartSelect_20200225-163411_Instagram.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
road cycling, no, but MTB heck yeah!

Lived in Colorado Springs, CO for years and would MTB all over the single tracks on Cheyenne mountain (Capt Jacks Trail, etc). Live in VA now, so different type (waaaaay less elevation) of terrain where I live, but still fun. Currently run a '29er, GT Karakoam hardtail, but looking to sell and upgrade to full suspension.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I had a carbon Motobecane road bike. Never rode it so I gave it to my brother... He doesn't take care of it at all. Sad last time I saw it big ole scratch on the frame and dirty as hell.

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
Made my day seeing this post! I've been riding road for the past 10 years. Criterium racing for 5 years, but I have since retired from competitive racing due to a 40mph crash/concussion last year. Still riding a "casual pace" of 22mph avg training rides to keep fitness up.

My main steed is a 2015 Felt AR. DA 9100 groupset, 3T cockpit, dual sided stages power meter, EE lightweight brakes, Fizik Ares TT saddle, alto velo 60mm wheels, Chris King hubs and God knows what else. 15.4lbs with pedals.

View attachment 166442

Very nice! I raced on a 2012 Felt FA frameset i built up for a while; so stiff. I've had a soft spot for the AR-series since my team shop used to sell Felt. I came close to buying a 2014 AR2, but decided on a custom build instead. While I do miss the competition of Crits i don't miss the crashing part (usually getting caught up in issues in front with no where to go). I never had a bad crash per se, but i've seen my friends go down hard enough to get wheeled out in a meat wagon more times than i'd like. It definitely started to get more stable with the cat3 races.

Still riding my race bike since i'm saving funds for the new Emonda (hoping it'll have the T47 BB). 2011 Ridley Noah pieced together with various stuff from my build in 2014.

Screenshot_20200229-112810.png

I suppose I should have looked at your avatar. Missed the R part. Yeah, on a GTI, the Curt is four bolts and a few minutes to install or remove, I've done it twice now. Looks like you'd have to deal with the Torklift and bumper removal, so yeah, probably easier to go roof rack at that point. Part of my dislike is just the noise and mileage impact, my M Coupe had a 13g tank and wasn't that efficient with a bare roof and got around 18 mpg on the highway with two bikes on the roof, making long trips exceedingly long and stopping at every gas station you saw was pretty much a necessity.

Yeah, for sure you'd lose the functionality of the rear parking sensors, but I do find that with my 1UP, the rear camera gets a clear view through the main triangle, even with bottles in the cages. Of course I ride a 58.5cm frame, probably a bit compromised if you ride a significantly smaller frame or had a really strong top tube drop like modern mountain bikes.
The mileage issue was something i saw on my MKVI as i lost about 1-2mpg on the highway. Noise wasn't as much of an issue as i thought, but i had a fairing at the time. i'd definitely get a more aerodynamic bar set-up this time around. I agree with you on the camera visibility as long as it's a one-bike OneUp rack. Anything more than that and it gets difficult. I think i'll wait to get any sort of rack and use the interior as best i can with the car seat in-place. I usually ride my MTB to my local park and trails, but if i find myself travelling more with it i'll definitely get a rack of some kind since i don't want that mess in the car.

Is that M Coupe the clownshoe? I love that car so much. I have a '99 Z3 2.8l 5-spd that was given to me that I've been refurbishing and lightly modding.

Last edited: