GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any VW mk2 knowledge out there?

ce4

Ready to race!
Hey all,

this is x-posted from vortex but either way, Last friday when I pulled into our garage at work, my 1992 gti started making a strage whirring, almost grinding noise, when i was decelerating. Parked the car all day. When I go to leave, it's still happneing. It was pretty loud going down 7 floors of the parking garage. I was able to make it back home alright (22 miles later).

It has the 020 manual transmission (i belive is what is in it, Mexi/Cali digi2). No signs or symptoms prior to this happening. Only makes the noise when i'm in motion and decelerating. It happens through all gears so every time i go to shift up or down or even just slowly let the gas off, the noise happens. Does not matter if clutch is engaged. When i got home, left in neutral (saw that i was idling around 12-1300 so i lowered that back down to 8-900), engaged parking brake and revved the engine and held it (trying to replicate being on the road) and the noise did NOT happen.

Any ideas? clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, trans mount? I'm open to any suggestions and TIA!

Oh yeah...here's a video of it too. You can hear it right when the video plays, and again at the 9-10 sec mark.

https://youtu.be/pvWLnrSSEFA

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Okay so only when decelerating, and clutch engagement doesn’t impact the noise? Noise is there and steady if the engine is at idle and you’re coasting? The noise remains in any gear and in neutral?

Have you put the car on stands to do a visual inspection?

Do you feel any vibrations through the car that correspond with the noise?

ce4

Ready to race!
Okay so only when decelerating, and clutch engagement doesn’t impact the noise? Noise is there and steady if the engine is at idle and you’re coasting? The noise remains in any gear and in neutral?

Have you put the car on stands to do a visual inspection?

Do you feel any vibrations through the car that correspond with the noise?

Noise happens when letting off gas, clutch engagement/gear selection has not impact.

Noise happens if dropped into neutral and coasting. The only constant is it happens when vehicle is in motion and after let off gas pedal (after about 20% let off).

I have not yet had a chance to do a visual inspection from underneath. After I got the car back home I left it running, put in neutral, chalked the wheels and popped the hood. revved it slightly via the throttle cable and tried to replicate what my foot does with the gas pedal...no noise. Also did not see anything obvious from the top down, no leaks (other than my oil leak), no smoke or strange things in the belts.

No noticible vibrations/noises that correspond with the issue. Just the normal 27 year old car with stripped down interior noises/vibrations.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is your foot on or off the clutch pedal when you're in neutral and coasting?

If you suspect the transmission, change the grease.

ce4

Ready to race!
Is your foot on or off the clutch pedal when you're in neutral and coasting?

If you suspect the transmission, change the grease.

Makes no difference if foot is on/off clutch. I just makes the sound when I let off gas and revs start dropping and the car is in motion, regardless of clutch pressed or what gear i'm in or if in neutral.

Changing the fluid is my next step. Just had some other things pop up

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So sounds like a 020 trans issue, swap out fluid and take a look at it for silver color, replace with correct weight GL-4 only oil, and send an Email to the 020 Guru with the sound clip http://brokevw.com/

ce4

Ready to race!
So sounds like a 020 trans issue, swap out fluid and take a look at it for silver color, replace with correct weight GL-4 only oil, and send an Email to the 020 Guru with the sound clip http://brokevw.com/
Fantastic Idea, Thank you!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Three things it could possibly be.

-cv axle

-wheel bearing

-transmission

Jack the car and check for excessive play in the wheel bearings and cv joints. If there’s none the transmission probably has a dramatic experience in its near future.

Not a mk2, but a Mk4 my friend stopped by with had the same issue. Bearings and axles checked out so I told him to drive it and see if it got worse. Well, it did lol. A key way or something fell out in the transmission and it rolled around until it found 5th gear and literally threw it out of the transmission case. The crazy thing is after retrieving the literal 5th gear from the plastic under tray he drove home using 1-4th gears as normal over 80 miles (mostly turnpike).

He put a junkyard transmission in and still daily drives the car to this day.