GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New PCV Valve but you can blow through the hose

pavkyy

Car(s)
VW Golf V
Hi,

I just ordered a new pcv valve from Metzger Autoteile. I tested my old OEM one by blowing through the hose towards the pcv valve, and a little hiss could be heard, so I thought it's time to replace it. With this new pcv there is no restriction at all when I blow through the hose the same way..

What does that mean? It's useless or this is how this model works?..

Passed Driver's Ed
The engine still runs fine tho, no boost issue, I'm confused now

Sure. And people run with front PCV totally deleted. You have two PCVs. Front and rear. Why not have both be functional? Clearly your new front PCV is defective.

pavkyy

Car(s)
VW Golf V
Sure. And people run with front PCV totally deleted. You have two PCVs. Front and rear. Why not have both be functional? Clearly your new front PCV is defective.
True. Gonna replace it.. Thank you for the answer

pavkyy

Car(s)
VW Golf V
Isn't it that depending on the car year, the check valve is on the hose and not the PCV (early MKV like 2005-2006)?
I don't know, honestly I don't think that's the case. In the description said compatible with: AXX,BWA; mine is from 2007, which is BWA engine code.
I had to go for a drive (100km) with that pcv installed. After arriving, I opened the hood, the upper side and the side of this 'new' pcv valve was full of oil, also it spilled oil on the noise pipe..

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
What is the part number of the Metzger Autoteile PCV you installed in this '07

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
If you google " 2385010 Metzger " you'll find it. My OEM part number is 06F 129 101 R - it matches the oem reference number

You may want to confirm with the dealer what the current correct part number is for your ROW MK5 Pcv, I am not seeing that part number for use with a MK5, either in the NAR or ROW.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Yeah the thing is there is two revisions in parallel, revision P and revision R, ETKA makes the distinction while most online shops do not. The revision R is less common and is usually found on AXX engines, it needs a check valve in the PCV hose, the revision P has a built-in check valve (if I remember correctly). That's most likely your problem.

@GTI's that's right that it isn't shown as compatible but it supersedes the revision F and L which are compatible with AXX and some BWA engines.

pavkyy

Car(s)
VW Golf V
Yeah the thing is there is two revisions in parallel, revision P and revision R, ETKA makes the distinction while most online shops do not. The revision R is less common and is usually found on AXX engines, it needs a check valve in the PCV hose, the revision P has a built-in check valve (if I remember correctly). That's most likely your problem.

@GTI's that's right that it isn't shown as compatible but it supersedes the revision F and L which are compatible with AXX and some BWA engines.
I understand now, but mine is R revision and BWA, but I got the point, I should get an other one because this one is not the right one. Thanks for the answers!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Someone nearby asked me for help not long ago. He came over and I hooked up VCDS and saw it wasn't making boost. I looked under the hood and his EVAP to valve cover wasn't connected, but that obviously wasn't the cause of boost loss. He mentioned he just had the PCV replaced and I noticed the new PCV had white print on it from its manufacturer...so obviously not OEM. I disconnected the tube at the intake manifold and blew in to it and it did not hold pressure. This suggests the check valve in the PCV isn't holding the pressure or the tube itself his leaking due to a crack or poor o-rings at the ends. He just contacted me to ask if I would help him install the new OEM PCV he expects to arrive soon, I know...too easy, but I said I would. We'll see if that is all that is wrong as boost issues can and are sometimes not just due to one source. He also had a leaking fmic pipe connection on the hot side and I gave him a new o-ring/seal to fix that. But not sure if he ever did so.

The PCV was revised and there once was an "open campaign" to replace them here in the states. The change went from both check valves in the PCV and none in the rear breather...to...one check valve in the PCV and the other inside the rear breather tube. So, with the revised PCV, one should also use the revised breather tube.

This is the revised PCV with one check valve at the intake manifold connection, and the other was removed from the circled area and put into the rear breather tube;

So, if anyone goes to install a PCV that is void of the check valve at the circled post-hole, you should also make sure the rear breather has a check valve. The rear breather valve will shut when the engine is under vacuum and open under pressure. The intake side check valve will open under vacuum and close under pressure.

Last edited: