GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Sigh...I'm feeling rather ADD at work today, so even more oddball PC builds. I'm not a gamer, but pretty much find any other use for a PC.

How about a lowly AMD A8-7600, watercooled, in a 2U rackmount case. What for? Audio DSP processing in Linux for my monster 4-way garage stereo. Dual monitors - one for the music software, one for twiddling virtual knobs.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Ok, I like you're what-the-fuck-ever, it works attitude towards PC building. Love that it's in a 2U chassis lmao

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Back again - with a new weird PC project:

Found a dead Mac Power PC at the thrift store for $20.

Gutted what (at one time) was $3000 worth of awesome (junk by today's standards.)

Butchered a donor PC case.

Case mods in progress. More to follow (if anyone is interested.)

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Hell yeah, I'm interested! My dumb dream to build a PC inside the case of the new Mac Pro. That thing is wild. There's a company about to launch a crowd funding campaign to sell a PC version of it. It's an eye-watering $279 for the full-up model. Here's a link to it.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I saw a prototype review on LTT. Very cool. Mine will be more of a ghetto version. If you've ever picked up one of these cases, you'll know they would survive a nuclear war.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
20191120_133410.jpg

PS or mobo are DOA after 4 years, time for upgrades.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Can anyone recommend a good brand for a PCIe 6+2 Y-Splitter adapter? I've gotten burned with low quality phone charging cables before and definitely don't want to screw around with my PSU/GPU.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
The Mac is now a full ATX PC. The internal baffle will accept a 240mm radiator with fans. Those are just junk components I used to mock everything up. The power supply will take about an hour to remove or replace, so I have a new 750 watt partial modular on order. No hard drive mounts. I'll use an NVMe, and I keep all my files on a NAS. It has tons of room, and begs for something more in there...

Now, onto sanding, filling nicks and gouges, and fresh paint. Yup, bodywork on a computer case ;)

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Excellent work! Loving the custom effort. How's that keyboard? Looks nice. I like the slim platform and the keycaps look good.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I've become a weird keyboard snob. In the picture, a Glorious GMMK board with Kailh bronze switches and thick/soft o rings. It's my favorite so far. Short travel with a light, sharp click.

I've also have keyboards with Cherry Red, Brown and Blue, along with a Unicomp Model M. The Unicomp is well suited for typing angry emails ;)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Anyone in here happen to have an SLI-ready, 1,000 watt power supply just gathering dust in their closet? I'm looking to add a second video card to my current build (I do a lot of 3D rendering on the GPU, so the more Cuda cores, the better) and my 650 watt isn't capable of handling it haha.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I've become a weird keyboard snob. In the picture, a Glorious GMMK board with Kailh bronze switches and thick/soft o rings. It's my favorite so far. Short travel with a light, sharp click.

I've also have keyboards with Cherry Red, Brown and Blue, along with a Unicomp Model M. The Unicomp is well suited for typing angry emails ;)
What do o-rings bring to the table? I'm pretty fresh to the mech. keyboard arena. I've got a Keychron K2 with Gateron browns and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
They soften the feel a little when the keys bottom out, and shorten the throw. They'll also quiet the keyboard down a bit. Just like bump stops on your car's struts. It's a cheap/easy mod, and you can take them off if you don't like them.

If you want to go full-geek, watch some of this guys stuff. I think he almost gets some sort of sexual pleasure when he types on certain keyboards.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
They soften the feel a little when the keys bottom out, and shorten the throw. They'll also quiet the keyboard down a bit. Just like bump stops on your car's struts. It's a cheap/easy mod, and you can take them off if you don't like them.

I use bump stops on my keyboard at work just to annoy my neighbors less haha.