GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI mk8

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yuck, yuck and yuck :( grab a new 7.5 while you can guys...

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Some videos of the new Golf are finally hitting the net. Here is one of the best ones that I've found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDC6qm8s1zc&t=964s

I know it's popular to hate on the next generation of Golfs and then people slowly warm up to them, myself included. I doubt I can get warmed up to this one though. The exterior took a step backwards and the interior lost that German simplicity; it looks like any car manufacturer now (Mazda, Ford, Honda, etc.). Also gotta love how they went back to a hood prop (gotta pay for all that tech somehow).

In summary: VW does less of what they are good at, interior design and more of what they are bad at, electronics.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
After watching that it doesn't look too bad to me. That is until I saw that dash. Man was that ever a turn off for me. Oh & that DSG shifter is laughable.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I'm happy with the Mk6. It feels like the last true feel of the German-ish look. I feel like even the Mk7s are awkward. I can only justify them in that they are newer than the mk6 and try to force myself to take in the style of it. I still can't get over the rear of those cars...

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My MK6 is long ago paid for so now it's like driving a free car. I plan on doing that for a long time. It's one of my favorite cars that I've owned. When it's used up I'll cherry pick a nice MK7. Don't think I could ever get over the glass dash & all the nannies on a MK8.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
MK8 very mehhh.

Kinda feels like when I had an iPhone 5 and every year the latest version didn't seem dramatically better to me to warrant upgrading.

Since my MK6 Autobahn is paid off I guess I should invest in a few more reasonable mods now!

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
My MK6 is long ago paid for so now it's like driving a free car. I plan on doing that for a long time. It's one of my favorite cars that I've owned. When it's used up I'll cherry pick a nice MK7. Don't think I could ever get over the glass dash & all the nannies on a MK8.

I’m hoping that I can keep mine going until I can afford a TTRS. [emoji1786]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
for some reason (bmw lights aside) front end reminds me of the Beetle.. the shape is both rounder and crisper.. pass.

I'd take the MK7.5 at this point if i ever gave up my MK6 (doubtful). Like some already said.. paid for. works for me.
I don't like a digital display. They tried that in the 80's & 90's (Not VW i don't think) Buick i think had the most extensive.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I like it... My biggest gripe is the fake quad exhaust they stole off an E63... Everybody's doing it tho so it must be cool

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I like it... My biggest gripe is the fake quad exhaust they stole off an E63... Everybody's doing it tho so it must be cool
As seen in the spy shot below the mk8 GTi exhaust will remain the same as the current mk7,
429641E2-3CF0-4345-8801-CB4ACED2891D.jpeg

the fake exhaust tips you refer to are not actually hollow, they’re more of a design element, and (in Europe at least) feature on several of the current golf models such as the R-Line.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
As seen in the spy shot below the mk8 GTi exhaust will remain the same as the current mk7 the fake exhaust tips you refer to are not actually hollow, they’re more of a design element, and (in Europe at least) feature on several of the current golf models such as the R-Line.

Yes yes I know but that is not a production vehicle.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 11.44.40 PM.png

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yes yes I know but that is not a production vehicle.

View attachment 160445
Well, I’d not seen that shot before! That looks to be the GTE at the launch event, the shot of the GTi is how the production model will look as it clearly has a new design bumper and splitter.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Recent first drive video,
Note: see at 6:47 that the lower ball socket and bracket for the hydraulic bonnet stay is still in place just above the coolant reservoir just like the Mk7!

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Here's the Mk8 Golf R, undisguised. Gotta say, I much, much prefer the looks of the Mk7.5 GTI and R compared to this. The Mk8 styling looks more "mini SUV/crossover" than "hot hatch" to me. If I'm looking for an upgraded daily in the future, I'll be looking at a used Mk7.5 R.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/11/vw-mk8-golf-r-spied/