GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My second build on my 08 GTI

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Finally have 1sr track event scheduled. Going to AAA California Speedway to run the Roval course. on Nov 9 and 10th. Will have video to post and commentary about the build. Really looking forward to this outing, hopefully all will go well with no failures. Having a track only car sure causes you to haul much more stuff. It was so nice just driving to track, having fun and driving home. Oh well, it costs money to play.
Just wait until you (if ever) get in the W2W racing, then you'll know how much of a PITA it is lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well I am finally off for the maiden voyage of this 2 year project. If everything goes right, we will have fun and have some videos to share when we get back. My son flew in from Atlanta to share the celebration. Off in the morning to AAA California Speedway in Fontana. Going to be there Sat and Sun if the everything holds up.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
First day at track. Got in about 3 laps, fastest 2 cylinder car I have ever driven.
It will be a while before there is a second day at the track. As they say.... cost money to go fast, looks like I got more to spend before I get there.
Brakes were like candy, so sweet (Full 18z F/R with GLOC 16/10.
Suspension, glaring weak spot was the Eibach R1 springs... waaay too soft. I have a set of track springs to swap out.
Michelin Sport Cup 2, so nice.

Yes there are parts of spark plugs somewhere in my engine, however the engine still runs, tear down coming in spring, till then, putting the cover on it again.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well I have decided to part ways with my MKV. Giving it to my son to fix and keep.
Take care everybody. It has been a fun 11 years.
I want to get another 911 anyway.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am just getting too old to mess with it anymore and I want to get on the track rather than spend weeks and months on this again. I am just going to go buy something I can drive from home to the track. Will probably get a 911 or a TTRS.

I made some mistakes in choosing a tuner. And unfortunately the cost of learning that came after the disaster. The car still runs, motor sounds fine but likely there is damage in there somewhere, so tear down and fix as needed is in the future for the car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I could stick to it and fix it but I am just over it. There is hope that the damage won't be too extensive since it still runs with zero characteristic sounds of severe damage. My son is looking for a project so it will be a good fit for him. Fingers crossed that it will not take too much for him to get it where it should have been in the first place. After doing a little research it appears the plugs were too hot for the tune/fueling based on folk with similar visible plug issues. Detonation basically. Probably would have grenaded bottom end of a stock motor, this one was built for more power than we ended up with.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I could stick to it and fix it but I am just over it. There is hope that the damage won't be too extensive since it still runs with zero characteristic sounds of severe damage. My son is looking for a project so it will be a good fit for him. Fingers crossed that it will not take too much for him to get it where it should have been in the first place. After doing a little research it appears the plugs were too hot for the tune/fueling based on folk with similar visible plug issues. Detonation basically. Probably would have grenaded bottom end of a stock motor, this one was built for more power than we ended up with.

I am really sorry for that. I believe you need to find a good workshop to check your car, don't know if Arnold PagParts is close to you or not.
Try to contact him so even if he isn't close to you, he may recommend someone to you.
What heat range plugs you were using?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Tuner left the PFR7's that were fine for the 91 octane tune but didn't switch to colder plugs when he tuned it for methanol. Looks like my son can't take car, so I am going to have to take care of it myself. The thread continues. I think I am going to put this thing back on the street and just go with a 91 tune with a little methanol for cooling.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thread continues...I like that. If you have the room, it doesn't hurt to put this thing in the corner and work in your spare time.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Tuner left the PFR7's that were fine for the 91 octane tune but didn't switch to colder plugs when he tuned it for methanol. Looks like my son can't take car, so I am going to have to take care of it myself. The thread continues. I think I am going to put this thing back on the street and just go with a 91 tune with a little methanol for cooling.

Very good that you will keep the car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Finally ready to get this thing back on the road. I believe I have found a proper engine guy to fix whatever was broken by the plugs. So the project will be restarted. This time I have decided to go street legal. I just can't bring myself to give up on the project till finished.