GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Car Guys"

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not but seriously, I run into these types sometimes. I just let them go on and try to sound interested to see how far they take it lol.

Sometimes I just assume they're so stupid they actually believe themselves.

Exactly....I just let him keep talking and none of it made sense, but he totally was believing the bullshit he was saying (mind blown)

And then I just walked away like "cool story bro" and shaking my head and laughing at what I just heard

I tried to explain it to my wife (waiting in the car)....she didn't understand it though, lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So do I just zip the nut off the strut and pray to god I don't die when the mount/spring comes off? :laugh:

I was swapping the stock springs on/off my Passat....they're crazy long.

I don't pull the axle though...just the 2x4 method to get it in/out. Stupid easy

Sorry I thought you were talking about our platform. Some cars you do have to use the compressors on, sounds like the passat is one of them. GTI springs aren't long like that so there's no need. I've never tried this 2x4 method that people talk about but pulling the axle is so easy that I find it hard to believe anything is easier than that way. To each their own

After messing with the suspension, you'll want an alignment done anyway, though.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
True I was just curious for learning purposes.
Like the wastegate is easier to reach with axle pull.

Axle bolts one time use or reusable?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Sorry I thought you were talking about our platform. Some cars you do have to use the compressors on, sounds like the passat is one of them. GTI springs aren't long like that so there's no need. I've never tried this 2x4 method that people talk about but pulling the axle is so easy that I find it hard to believe anything is easier than that way. To each their own

With the 2x4, you just pull the strut bolt (obviously) & use the strut spreader....then use the 2x4 and a jack to "lift" (compress) the strut out of the knuckle, move/roll the hub slightly forward, lower the jack so the end of the strut is now next to the knuckle, then remove the 3 top bolts & it's free

You're not removing/disconnecting anything that way (read: less chances of something going wrong)
It really is the quicker method, but to each their own

Axle bolts one time use or reusable?

One time

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
With the 2x4, you just pull the strut bolt (obviously) & use the strut spreader....then use the 2x4 and a jack to "lift" (compress) the strut out of the knuckle, move/roll the hub slightly forward, lower the jack so the end of the strut is now next to the knuckle, then remove the 3 top bolts & it's free

You're not removing/disconnecting anything that way (read: less chances of something going wrong)
It really is the quicker method, but to each their own

One time
Im aware how to do it. Next time you do one film it and we'll compare times. Doing a suspension job next Friday I'll film it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Im aware how to do it. Next time you do one film it and we'll compare times. Doing a suspension job next Friday I'll film it.

LOL, umm okay. Please do though.

I have nothing to prove here, btw. On the NMS Passat (and MK7's) they have a pancaked lower control arm, so you can't swing it down and out of the way like on the MK5/MK6, which is how I previously did it.....so I developed this way to get the strut out, as it was the only way I knew how to (without removing the axles) on my Passat.
But now I use it all the time, and find it easier, because you're removing/disconnecting less things. YMMV

So, obviously, I had the swaybar endlink removed & the strut bolt out & the brake line clip removed--for extra slack (which aren't hard). Sorry that it's rotated:

And I had two of the strut mount bolts out already too (again, not hard)....camera is down, holding the strut with one hand & removing the bolt with the other:

But it was out in a couple minutes & that was the driver's side....no air/power tools (I do it all with hand tools).
(passenger side is easier)

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
lots of 'car guys' in here...

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wow x2, I had heard about this method but seeing it is believing. Nice vids.