GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a 15 SS

hooligan74

Ready to race!
Yeah comparos with the older M5 are telling.

True but that M5 cost $20K+ more in 2000 than this SS does in 2015. I don't see those comparisons as a bad thing, honestly, with respect to performance and driver experience.

Good point, XG, I had forgotten about those MOPAR cars. Largely because I think they are absolutely hideous.

Charger R/T Scat Pack: $41K
0-60: 4.1
1/4 mile: 12.4
skidpad: 0.91
4345lbs

Charger R/T: $33.5K
0-60: 5.1
1/4 mile: 13.5
skidpad: 0.94

SS: $46.5K
0-60: 4.6
1/4 mile: 13.0
skidpad: 0.97
3970lbs

Now, I know aesthetics are subjective, but the SS is a better looking car by miles (even though it still isn't going to win any beauty contests). Plus, as others have mentioned, at least there is the possibility of a 6MT - even though the auto is .1 sec faster to 60 and in the 1/4.

I don't think it's as overpriced as you all do, but I'd rather see the base price more like my GM employee discounted price (thanks, Dad) of about $43K-$44K.

<shrug>

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
True but that M5 cost $20K+ more in 2000 than this SS does in 2015. I don't see those comparisons as a bad thing, honestly, with respect to performance and driver experience.

Good point, XG, I had forgotten about those MOPAR cars. Largely because I think they are absolutely hideous.

4345lbs

3970lbs

Now, I know aesthetics are subjective, but the SS is a better looking car by miles (even though it still isn't going to win any beauty contests). Plus, as others have mentioned, at least there is the possibility of a 6MT - even though the auto is .1 sec faster to 60 and in the 1/4.

I don't think it's as overpriced as you all do, but I'd rather see the base price more like my GM employee discounted price (thanks, Dad) of about $43K-$44K.

<shrug>

Id rather save up an extra $10k for a corvette, but $10k more opens up a whole new fleet of cars to choose from, glad the OP likes it, I guess it just isn't a car for me? :iono:

Sent from my iPhone

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
People shopping the SS are almost certainly NOT shopping the 'Vette as well.

Yes, sounds like it's not a fit for you.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Lol ik they aren't, it's just if I were in this situation that's what I would of done, or bought an older M3

Sent from my iPhone

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

4345lbs

3970lbs

<shrug>
The charger was hideous. Frankly I love the way it looks these days. And I haven't driven the new ZF transmission but the old slushbox is what brought the whole car down back in the prior generations. The interior layout is the only issue I still have with the car (aside from the weight of course).

Yes I do think the SS is a step up from what the charger offers as base, though optioned out to the SS spec it's a tad cheaper still. The SS is still a bit pricey imo, for what it offers. But all in all I wish GM would just bring the G8 back from the dead. That's what I really want. A cheap no frills pushrod V8 sedan in manual. Boys can dream.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
The charger was hideous. Frankly I love the way it looks these days. And I haven't driven the new ZF transmission but the old slushbox is what brought the whole car down back in the prior generations. The interior layout is the only issue I still have with the car (aside from the weight of course).

Yes I do think the SS is a step up from what the charger offers as base, though optioned out to the SS spec it's a tad cheaper still. The SS is still a bit pricey imo, for what it offers. But all in all I wish GM would just bring the G8 back from the dead. That's what I really want. A cheap no frills pushrod V8 sedan in manual. Boys can dream.
Unfortunately, I think we'll keep on dreaming for a while. With GM axing Holden production in Australia, the SS is a limited run anyway. I was really hoping a rebadged G8 GT would be here for good, but realistically it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Chrysler has had very good results from their RWD Sedan market, not sure why GM won't follow suit. They're desperately trying to get Cadillac to compete in the performance luxury market, it just seems like that's a battle they'll never win. People that can afford a $50-60k sedan will lean BMW, Benz or Audi instead, if nothing else for the status. The $30-35k market on the other hand is theirs for the taking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk