GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a 15 SS

Skeptix

Ready to race!
To accompany my GTI.

Have to say, it's pretty fucking rad. The GTI will be on permanent daily driver duty. Though I have to slowly move it back to stock, too stiff for daily driving, and the wheels need to go, but that'll happen later.

About the SS, it's great. I've never owned an 8 cyl before, the trans is excellent, and the mag ride is sweet. Definitely doesn't handle like a 3900lb car; takes corners better than my GTI, much better in fact. Headers and intake are already order. Supercharging it over the winter :evil:

Safe to say, my GTI will probably be the last VW I ever own. Maybe another one as a daily, but GTI's are not meant to be performance driven cars. I'm sure if I had an R, I'd feel differently. But looking back at the past 5 years, past 2 GTI's, and all the money spent modding them... totally wasn't worth it.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Alright I'm happy for you, that you got an SS in stick with the mag ride. Yes it's sweet. But you're coming to a VW golf forum, where hundreds share their modding experiences and congregate in happy VW golf ownership, saying that modding a $25k car never amounted to what your new $50k car is?

Not sure if you're trying to be demeaning or just a little absent minded :iono:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Are they blowing those out at 10k off sticker?

Sweet car though!

Skeptix

Ready to race!
Alright I'm happy for you, that you got an SS in stick with the mag ride. Yes it's sweet. But you're coming to a VW golf forum, where hundreds share their modding experiences and congregate in happy VW golf ownership, saying that modding a $25k car never amounted to what your new $50k car is?

I'm not being on either side of the spectrum. I've had a Passat, and two MK6 GTI's. And the car is in the $40K range; slightly above a new loaded Golf R. I'm not being condescending and this post in the general car forum. I've been on this forum for years, this isn't just a post to be a dick. People don't know much about this car and I'd like to share.

Are they blowing those out at 10k off sticker?

Sweet car though!

Thanks! I wish they were knocking 10k off sticker. You can find left over 14's for a fantastic deal, only thing; no manual. The manuals which are exclusive to 15's+, are super rare, so dealers aren't too lenient on their pricing. Look on cars.com, the amount of manuals vs autos are ridiculous. I live NJ... had to get this car in Virginia!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You found a nice one. But the GTI can definitely be a 'performance driven car.' I have stage 1 and stage 3, neither car disappoints.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Safe to say, my GTI will probably be the last VW I ever own.

That's pretty much what I have to say about VW! My two requirements for the next vehicle are NOT white and NOT VW.

OTOH, nice new car. :) I considered the SS, but the local Chevy dealerships were asking above MSRP when they first hit the market. I don't care how special or rare a car is, I won't pay over MSRP for it! I also stay away from first year production vehicles.

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
You found a nice one. But the GTI can definitely be a 'performance driven car.' I have stage 1 and stage 3, neither car disappoints.

I'm with the OP and think that this car isn't a "performance driven car" at all. Sure, it's sporty to an extent, but that's about it really; there's too much that works against the car for it to be a real "performance car", it's just a simple hot hatch and nothing more

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I'm with the OP and think that this car isn't a "performance driven car" at all. Sure, it's sporty to an extent, but that's about it really; there's too much that works against the car for it to be a real "performance car", it's just a simple hot hatch and nothing more

Works against it like what? And if u bought a $25k sports car and expect $50k results, well you've obviously bought the wrong car

Sent from my iPhone

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
Works against it like what? And if u bought a $25k sports car and expect $50k results, well you've obviously bought the wrong car

Sent from my iPhone

It's fwd, it's not a very reliable platform, you pay a premium for after market support, the suspension could be better, the brakes suck in stock form, etc. I didn't think it was that hard to look at it and see what works against it though :iono:

And I didn't buy this expecting comparable results to a car that cost double what it did, and I don't think the OP did either. I bought it wanting a fun little hatch, and after living with the compromises that this car makes to be a DD yet sporty at the same time, it honestly wasn't worth it. Live and learn though, and I chalk this up to a good learning experience for myself.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

+1 he is driving a car with more power and refinement and see's the light lol! He could have been doing this earlier by not buying 2 GTis and modding them. Pay more and in some cases get more depending on the car you are driving. Also what is the warranty status with a supercharger or is that a factory add on done by the dealer.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
It's fwd, it's not a very reliable platform, you pay a premium for after market support, the suspension could be better, the brakes suck in stock form, etc. I didn't think it was that hard to look at it and see what works against it though :iono:

And I didn't buy this expecting comparable results to a car that cost double what it did, and I don't think the OP did either. I bought it wanting a fun little hatch, and after living with the compromises that this car makes to be a DD yet sporty at the same time, it honestly wasn't worth it. Live and learn though, and I chalk this up to a good learning experience for myself.

It's pretty reliable, minus water pumps, which at 55,000 miles mine hasn't had one issues with water pumps or anything, you knew you didn't like FWD going into it, so you can't really bitch about that :iono: the stock suspension isn't bad at all... And the brakes don't suck! Your expectations were clearly too high for a $25k car :lol:

Sent from my iPhone

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
A lesser CTS-V at half the price and that's not a knock on the car. Keep us posted on your build for the SS as I'm interested.

GTI's are definitely entry-level performance cars, but I wouldn't say that they are not performance oriented. If that's the case then there is a whole slew of JDM guys that you just divorced from the performance arena as well.

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
It's pretty reliable, minus water pumps, which at 55,000 miles mine hasn't had one issues with water pumps or anything, you knew you didn't like FWD going into it, so you can't really bitch about that :iono: the stock suspension isn't bad at all... And the brakes don't suck! Your expectations were clearly too high for a $25k car :lol:

Sent from my iPhone

More like, I know what a performance car is supposed to be like, and am not looking at this through rose colored glasses. I also never said I didn't like fwd, I said it works against it from the "performance car" standpoint/argument. It's been fucking fantastic for me in the snow and I call it my German Snowmobile because of it. That doesn't change the fact though that it's still a mediocre platform.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
More like, I know what a performance car is supposed to be like, and am not looking at this through rose colored glasses. I also never said I didn't like fwd, I said it works against it from the "performance car" standpoint/argument. It's been fucking fantastic for me in the snow and I call it my German Snowmobile because of it. That doesn't change the fact though that it's still a mediocre platform.

Then why did you buy a car on a "mediocre" platform??? :lol: and if it works against it in performance, then you've obviously bought the wrong car, you should've just bought the Damn Subaru and been like o this is the best fucking car, no one else could possibly top this, :iono:

Sent from my iPhone