GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GK Goes JDM, Brah. Beats Worst Forum Member on Actually Getting a Car this Century

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh wow^

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
some cell phone / GRIDLIFE style updates:

JDM fresh wiper delete - paint matched:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010DDSQZY/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Hey man,

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 350 for an all out track build. They are just so damn cheap right now, and I dont really see that going away anytime soon (hopefully).

Having tracked the car and done some autox-ing, whats your opinion of the car as a track dedicated chassis? Obviously it has the benefit over the GTI of being right wheel drive, and from what I've heard the engines/trannies are pretty reliable short of some earlier trannies having the synchros go out. Is there anything about the car that would make you hesitate to do it over again? With the same initial budget of about 10k would you chose something else?

Thanks

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Hey man,

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 350 for an all out track build. They are just so damn cheap right now, and I dont really see that going away anytime soon (hopefully).

Having tracked the car and done some autox-ing, whats your opinion of the car as a track dedicated chassis? Obviously it has the benefit over the GTI of being right wheel drive, and from what I've heard the engines/trannies are pretty reliable short of some earlier trannies having the synchros go out. Is there anything about the car that would make you hesitate to do it over again? With the same initial budget of about 10k would you chose something else?

Thanks

hey dude, honestly - no, I wouldn't choose something else. Especially with the brembos and LSD, and then the added goodies, I couldn't beat the $10K range for this and having it basically ready to go. Just had a track day today, oddly enough, and she did great again. They are not the quickest cars compared to newer stuff, but they still move and they handle. I am loving mine, and can say with confidence its the best $10K I've ever spent on cars/car related stuff. It just does so much for such a great price tag. I had considered an S2K, but pricing too high and would want a hard top, would also need brakes upgraded. Test drove a miata, and it was just brutally slow, even knowing that going in. Test drove a BRZ, loved it - but more than I wanted to spend for just a toy. I do think it is a bargain pricing for a reliable track toy. Car Throttle or someone did an article on them a little while back as well.

And.. if the engine blows.. you find a used one for like $700, lol. JDMLifeFTW, or something.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
hey dude, honestly - no, I wouldn't choose something else. Especially with the brembos and LSD, and then the added goodies, I couldn't beat the $10K range for this and having it basically ready to go. Just had a track day today, oddly enough, and she did great again. They are not the quickest cars compared to newer stuff, but they still move and they handle. I am loving mine, and can say with confidence its the best $10K I've ever spent on cars/car related stuff. It just does so much for such a great price tag. I had considered an S2K, but pricing too high and would want a hard top, would also need brakes upgraded. Test drove a miata, and it was just brutally slow, even knowing that going in. Test drove a BRZ, loved it - but more than I wanted to spend for just a toy. I do think it is a bargain pricing for a reliable track toy. Car Throttle or someone did an article on them a little while back as well.

And.. if the engine blows.. you find a used one for like $700, lol. JDMLifeFTW, or something.
Good to know. I'll be keeping the gti for a bit longer, but when I can afford a 4 door wrangler for a dd, I may move back to the JDM side myself.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

austinm2011

Ready to race!

The 350Z is a fulfilling street toy to say the least. It is a tough call to advise going to buy one because a lot of them are beat within an inch of their life. But if you can get one that's been taken care of, hoooly cow what a fun street-kart. Same benefits as the FT86, tail-happy, responsive, attractive coupe, cockpit feel, head-turner with the right care and light modification. Plus, one of my favorite stock exhaust notes (along with the identical G35). I didn't know the engines were that cheap that's great. Almost 15 years ago now my dad pre-ordered the first 'Lemans Sunset' (burnt orange-ish color) Z in the country. Mom was driving it about a month in and went a little too brazenly through a flooded dip in the road, ended up flooding the engine and so they sent us a blueprinted engine from overseas, ended up being like +10 or 15 hp over normal Z's :bellyroll:. I'm not sure if anyone else remembers but the Z used to snap necks (before they were a dime a dozen). I recall specifically leaving a sports venue and walking up to it parked with a crowd around it. Dad unlocked it and the people stepped back thinking they were too close and it was warning them XD. A few years later it was mine for a few months before selling it. If I was stressed about anything, I would just go drive some back roads enthusiastically, and I'd be grinning ear to ear. Can't praise the Z enough. Looking forward to the day the shit-beaters bite the dust and all that remains is the well-maintained

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
in4updates

^this

The 350Z is a fulfilling street toy to say the least. It is a tough call to advise going to buy one because a lot of them are beat within an inch of their life. But if you can get one that's been taken care of, hoooly cow what a fun street-kart. Same benefits as the FT86, tail-happy, responsive, attractive coupe, cockpit feel, head-turner with the right care and light modification. Plus, one of my favorite stock exhaust notes (along with the identical G35). I didn't know the engines were that cheap that's great. Almost 15 years ago now my dad pre-ordered the first 'Lemans Sunset' (burnt orange-ish color) Z in the country. Mom was driving it about a month in and went a little too brazenly through a flooded dip in the road, ended up flooding the engine and so they sent us a blueprinted engine from overseas, ended up being like +10 or 15 hp over normal Z's :bellyroll:. I'm not sure if anyone else remembers but the Z used to snap necks (before they were a dime a dozen). I recall specifically leaving a sports venue and walking up to it parked with a crowd around it. Dad unlocked it and the people stepped back thinking they were too close and it was warning them XD. A few years later it was mine for a few months before selling it. If I was stressed about anything, I would just go drive some back roads enthusiastically, and I'd be grinning ear to ear. Can't praise the Z enough. Looking forward to the day the shit-beaters bite the dust and all that remains is the well-maintained

word man, they are still a great looking car, but yes, many are beat to shit/ look like shit, etc. no doubt about it.

FriggenT1

Banned
Already had a 370z with FBO, my WRX was faster, the GTI is more comfortable and also faster. 370 was a very nice car though, the factory HIDs are awesome too.