GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Where is the test drive vid?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
no test drive vid. kinda hard to hold a gopro with a salesman next you when test driving a car. it was only a 6 min test, but did include freeway.

How's the road noise in that car compared to the CX5. I heard (no pun) that the Forester can get noisy...

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
How's the road noise in that car compared to the CX5. I heard (no pun) that the Forester can get noisy...

cant honesty tell yet. my immediate answer is it was a lot quieter than the CX5. The CX5 was big and heavy sounding with a loud AWD system. I couldnt hear much whirr from this AWD system. But 5 mins isnt a long enough time to really judge anything.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
cant honesty tell yet. my immediate answer is it was a lot quieter than the CX5. The CX5 was big and heavy sounding with a loud AWD system. I couldnt hear much whirr from this AWD system. But 5 mins isnt a long enough time to really judge anything.

Did you try the "x" button or whatever? Did you try and "Sit behind yourself"? How is the rear seat room?

McQueen77

Banned
It dawned on me today that I've been approaching the next-car thought all wrong. I basically don't want to pay more than I'm paying now per month and I want to drive a 3 series, preferably a 328 next time.. This leaves the obvious choice: leasing a previous service loaner or demo vehicle. Yes, these cars are road hard and put away wet. Yes they are beat on. But probably no worse than I mercilessly beat on my car each day. They lease for dirt cheap. Crevier BMW in OC is running an ad right now for $250 p/month on a demo or loaner lease w/$2000 @ signing. W/negotiations, you could prob get a decently equipped demo or loaner 328i for like $300 OTD zero down. Sweet.

Drawbacks:

You'd have to take what you could get. No special ordering, probably no sport lines out there. Most likely 328i Asian Camry... Bare minimum it'd have to have premium pkg, heated seats.. I could even live without lighting .HID are cool but honestly who gives a shit. If it means getting a beater 3'er for 3 bills, sign me up. That's my recent train of thought. City and highway cruiser with some basic luxury amenities and a slightly cushier ride with an extra $400 budgeted for a stage 1 tune to bring that mom mobile up to almost 300HP. Fuckin A.

Sorry placman, but I can't risk starting my own thread and it turning into a shit show of pure BMW/los angeles hatred, being thrown piles of shit by 22 year old dubstep bros who work at Chiles, saving up for dat plastidip doe. Im hijacking. Considering half this thread is vacuums and sage real estate and personal finance advice from people who live in Chodesworth, Minnesota, seems alright.

@Placstidip: Hows the stereo in the Subie??

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
It dawned on me today that I've been approaching the next-car thought all wrong. I basically don't want to pay more than I'm paying now per month and I want to drive a 3 series, preferably a 328 next time.. This leaves the obvious choice: leasing a previous service loaner or demo vehicle. Yes, these cars are road hard and put away wet. Yes they are beat on. But probably no worse than I mercilessly beat on my car each day. They lease for dirt cheap. Crevier BMW in OC is running an ad right now for $250 p/month on a demo or loaner lease w/$2000 @ signing. W/negotiations, you could prob get a decently equipped demo or loaner 328i for like $300 OTD zero down. Sweet.

Drawbacks:

You'd have to take what you could get. No special ordering, probably no sport lines out there. Most likely 328i Asian Camry... Bare minimum it'd have to have premium pkg, heated seats.. I could even live without lighting .HID are cool but honestly who gives a shit. If it means getting a beater 3'er for 3 bills, sign me up. That's my recent train of thought. City and highway cruiser with some basic luxury amenities and a slightly cushier ride with an extra $400 budgeted for a stage 1 tune to bring that mom mobile up to almost 300HP. Fuckin A.

Sorry placman, but I can't risk starting my own thread and it turning into a shit show of pure BMW/los angeles hatred, being thrown piles of shit by 22 year old dubstep bros who work at Chiles, saving up for dat plastidip doe. Im hijacking. Considering half this thread is vacuums and sage real estate and personal finance advice from people who live in Chodesworth, Minnesota, seems alright.

@Placstidip: Hows the stereo in the Subie??

I didnt lease, but got a great deal on the 235 I bought - GO DEMO. I would have ordered a stripped car but got fully loaded for the same price with 900-miles on it. You have zero to lose. You just might get a nice 328. You wont know until you try. Start a new thread -fk the peanut gallery.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
You'd have to take what you could get. No special ordering, probably no sport lines out there.

You'd have to get a sport line, and you know you won't get a car with the base suspension. Otherwise all your magical BMW stuff goes out the window and you're driving a badge right along with your bro Dolly Hwang.

At that point you might as well buy a V6 Camry and kill yourself.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
You'd have to get a sport line, and you know you won't get a car with the base suspension. Otherwise all your magical BMW stuff goes out the window and you're driving a badge right along with your bro Dolly Hwang.

At that point you might as well buy a V6 Camry and kill yourself.

Dis.

Seriously, demos are great deals, and if you can find one that has everything you want, go for it. But settling for a badged Camry just because it's cheap makes zero sense.

McQueen77

Banned
I mean isn't the badged Camry thing a little overstated? But yeah... I don't think anyone, literally anyone in my age bracket or demographic drives a no line 328i. It's like all Asian women. Seriously. Dolly Hwang?! That name couldn't be more perfect. Still, Camry or not, it's got an undeniably excellent engine/transmission combo.. Still RWD, 50/50 goodness. But yeah, those flat seats, that floaty soft suspension, those 17" all season and shitty star spoke wheels, that steering wheel.. Fuck.

Demo/loaner would be dirt cheap though.. Out of all the dealers in SoCal though, I bet they could source one somewhere.. Just totally unicorn rare that you get a sport line anything as a loaner or demo though. That's the problem.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I mean isn't the badged Camry thing a little overstated? But yeah... I don't think anyone, literally anyone in my age bracket or demographic drives a no line 328i. It's like all Asian women. Seriously. Dolly Hwang?! That name couldn't be more perfect. Still, Camry or not, it's got an undeniably excellent engine/transmission combo.. Still RWD, 50/50 goodness. But yeah, those flat seats, that floaty soft suspension, those 17" all season and shitty star spoke wheels, that steering wheel.. Fuck.

Demo/loaner would be dirt cheap though.. Out of all the dealers in SoCal though, I bet they could source one somewhere.. Just totally unicorn rare that you get a sport line anything as a loaner or demo though. That's the problem.

A Sport Line 328i that has been farted in for a cheap lease is taking it to the man.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
I think BMW goes out of its way to negate the effects of RWD and 50/50 balance in base cars. People that buy those things are just buying a badge, and want it to drive like a Camry, not a "rough" "twitchy" sports sedan. That's why the sportline exists in the first place, to appease people that actually care how the car drives. I just don't see the point in base cars.

But if you could find a sportline demo, that would be a solid deal. They may exist somewhere, who knows where.

McQueen77

Banned
A Sport Line 328i that has been farted in for a cheap lease is taking it to the man.

I'm all for farts and dead skin if it means saving $3600 over the course of the lease. I give zero shits. It's the quest for the basic beater German sports sedan rental that has just enough to keep me happy that never goes over $360 a month. So I guess that revises basic necessity needs as sport line, premium, heated seats and that's it. Lighting you have to special order. .00001% 3's come with lighting. I don't know why but that's how it is. They look cool but they serve zero purpose unless you regularly drive deserted country roads at night. Staying in the 320 would have to be totally unrealistically cheap to do. Like they'd have to shave about $4000 off the residual/buyout amount for it to be considered.

Last edited: